Drone Based Delivery System

UnscriptedVert

Why doesn't NQ implement a Drone Based Delivery System ? Picture it in your mind for a second. Look at Star Wars as an example. The sky is full of tiny ships, and most look like cargo shuttles.

With that said, what if those were NPCs in DU and it took time to deliver what you ordered ? This solves several problems.

1. It's not instant buying, so you don't loose immersion.

2. You would see traffic everywhere, which gives to the overall "feel" of the game as being alive.

3. And less of a chance of something going wrong when you try to transport your cargo back to your place. This works best for new players.

Now I'm not saying take away the ability of transporting your own cargo if you prefer it that way. But the added option of an NPC flying your stuff over, for a small fee based on weight times distance times fuel, that just adds to the overall "feel" of the game.

NQ-FedEx anyone ? What can NQ do for you ? ;)

Another thing that could be added, player based Drones, that go pick up your stuff for free.

If NQ adds BOTH player based and NQ based delivery systems, then the fee would be used for fuel costs vs distance vs weight if NQ implements their own. But player based is based on the item and their own fuel vs the distance. There are many ways this could be done.

Another thing to consider about this is new players. It is easier for them to use a drone, then to run off trying to get it themselves in their ship they could end up destroying and making them feel like this game is too much to deal with. This would help with the keeping of the new players in the game.

And as for the drones themselves and the weights they could carry, for now NQ could make a "one size fits all" for the BETA, and then impliment different variations and sizes later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It's an interesting experience, why not. It would be cool if these drones with packages were tracked. You know, just like in real life. You live somewhere in Europe, you send an order with some gifts to Berlin to your mother, you track it on some local website, like https://www.postsendungsverfolgung.com/de/hermes-sendungsverfolgung.html. Not life, but just a fairy tale.

But I don't think it will appear soon. There are many other things that still need to be fixed, like PVP, weapon damage and space safe zone.

The game runs quite heavily client-side, it keeps the server load down, so totally unmanned drones would be more than a bit tricky. May be better off just using some manner of auto-piloted ship and paying noobs to stand on them while they fly.

• 2 months later...

I am increasingly faced with drones violating my personal space due to the constant presence in the air where I rest. It is very annoying, especially when drones are flying over the territory of my private home, where I generally have to be in absolute privacy. I recently ordered a drone myself, but I don't allow myself to shoot in crowded places, but I do it exclusively somewhere in large areas in the fields. By the way, I ordered through the china post tracking service, and during delivery, I could keep track of where my parcel was. I hope my comment will be helpful to you

We won't get drones, as all constructs are controlled client side. Your ship is speeding through space, you log off and it stops unless somebody else stands on it and then it moves as it is running on their client.

So no client, no movement.

While I suppose it would be possible for them to run some servers which are just there to run them, really can't see that happening. They gave us delivery missions, but due to abuse the don't get used as much as they could, as the market to market delivery jobs are the only ones safe from abuse.

• 2 weeks later...