Nerf the 800% damage multiplier between weapon sizes to 200%

Shaman

[This post is wrong, I thought that the damage multipliers were 8x and not 2x. feels like 8x though and I still think it needs nerfing, just maybe to 1.5x instead?]

The problem

If an M core wanted to fight against an L core , there would have to be a fleet of at least eight of them to match the damage of an L core.

However, if you wanted to use XS cores to fight against an L core, you would need 512 of them, which would be so impractical that it is basically impossible. You would need to coordinate, train, and set RDMS for a fleet half the size of the empire, all of which would have to be active at the exact same time, to close in and fire on the enemy without crashing into each other to even get a chance of killing them, not to mention the server issues or lag you would get from trying.

My proposal is this:

Instead of the 8x damage multipliers that weapons have currently, each weapon size up is replaced with a 2x damage multiplier.

This would make it so that an M core can be beaten by an L core, but an L core can be beaten by 2 M cores, and so on.

L cores would still have the same damage output as before, M cores 2 times less, S cores 4 times less and XS 8 times less.

So instead of the 512 XS ships needed to kill an L core, you would only need 8. That may not seem by a lot, but since most L core ships usually have a much smaller crew size of about 4 people, and XS cores are usually destroyed in one hit, I think it balances the core sizes out more evenly.

Range would be similar, but perhaps to a lesser extent, otherwise L cores would blow up smaller sizes before they get in range. You could even affect it negatively, meaning that XS cores would have a much longer range than L cores if you wanted to spice things up a little.

Adding this could make PvP way more fun really easily, and would add more strategy into the game.

If you ever happen to read this NQ, I would love to hear your thoughts :D

You forget that an L core build zone is 8x the size of an M core build zone. That's a lot more armour than two M ships combined.

Weapons double as they scale up each size, they don't scale by x8.

This whole 2 M should be able to kill an L 'just because" is awfully bland. There are no cookie cutters here, every ship is different.

It feels like SpiceRub is the only other person here to really experience combat....

That said, combat balancing at the moment is somewhat redundant when the whole system needs an overhaul And more combat related stuff like shield and power systems will be coming out in the next some number releases. Then there's voxel damage shaping which we need. Then with the generic balances which come with that, then it we really start to refine it.

Coming full circle, an Xs ship built well can be more dangerous to an L core ship than a generic S and M core combat ship. I'm not going to explain why.

Nerfing weapons isn't really going to help anything, combat between larger ships can already easily drag on until one side or the other just starts running low on ammo/fuel/spare elements and tries to flee. If your desire is to make things such that groups of smaller craft can reasonably handle larger ones, you'd be better off buffing the damage of smaller weapons up than trying to bring larger ones down.