What were you expectations of this game before you played it?

aliensalmon

I guess to start off, I didn't know it would really click with me because the game was primarily first person. I had a history of not being able to get into first-person games such as Goldeneye 007 and Elite Dangerous. However, this was balanced with my eagerness to find a good science fiction space MMO to call home. I was envisioning this game would let me explore the universe and encounter people and all sorts of things as well.

I also liked the concept because I was into Second Life, a sandbox virtual world that allows building. (I also found out about this game from a Second Life forum.) I also liked the somewhat vibrant colors - they seemed welcoming to me.

Despite it's faults I'm glad I played this game. I enjoyed my time in game and forums are entertaining as well. I am grateful for NovaQuark for this very unique experience they created.

before i started playing i was hoping for a game i can build a base and a ship and go explore a galaxy with empires expanding and building up :) i didn't know it was 1 solar system at start and all that i kept in my memory was stargates you have to build and civilizations expanding into the universe. so i was expecting something like elite/no mans sky with a somewhat generated universe.

but after all i am still pleased with what DU is atm and it's the perfect game for me and my little son due to the no combat nature atm :P so well exploring fell a little short in terms of what i thought it would be (maybe will be? :)) but we made it our goal to visit all planets and i build up a little base with a production. when something is missing we visit the planet that has the ressources we need, build a base and a few ships there and expand in the solar system we have. also always fun to watch what kinda of stuff my little one builds :P

oh and the try and error for a ship to land safely with a full load is fun too. in the end i am looking forward to what DU will become and tho it is not perfect nor what i first expected it to be it is the most fun sci fi sandbox i happened to play and mine a lot in so far :)

I expected a voxel builder/resource collector game that I could sink a few months of lockdown into and be totally absorbed by. What I got was well worth my time and money. Good fun, good people, wonderful build options to play with. We created sport within the game and shared the fun with many people.

I had also expected something a bit more like Empyrion with regards to crafting, which at first I was a bit disappointed about. The system in DU was complicated and intimidating for the first few days. The apparent lack of profit possible with small scale industry also was confusing.

I had also expected a much more dangerous environment with regards to PvP. The first hex I took on Alioth I buried my TCU deep into the sand and built a secret base with a tiny, well hidden entrance hole. I had no idea about safe zones.

I knew there would be mining but I was not ready for the true beauty of a T1 meganode. A very exciting a fun feature that can enslave you for 24 hours of feverish work.

For a long time before Dual, I was on a constant search for good 3D multiplayer vehicle building games. Unfortunately, these types of games were very sparse and rarely any good, either being PTW like Crossout or dead like Robocraft. At the time I was also interested in eve online, and wondered what it would look like if the two genres were combined (I think you can see where this is going), so when I saw Dual Universe I instantly fell in love with it. At the time the game was still under NDA, around the time of early alpha. I'm pretty sure I watched every video on the official channel, and couldn't wait until it released. At the time the estimate for how much a sub would cost was like 20$ (and I was too poor to buy alpha access) so I was unsure if it was worth buying.

I lost track of the game, until the first few months of beta started when I saw it again. When I found out that the price for a sub was 8$ instead of 20, I decided to buy it. However, since my computer was below minimum spec, my game tanked as soon as I opened up the game. My starting moments were a slideshow with constant crashes, which made me concerned that I might not be able to play the game. However, my determination to play (and not wanting to waste the 3 month sub) made me persevere. By looking at the ground and facing away from the many ships that were parked there, I was finally able to make it to the shuttle service and escape to sanctuary, which was a lot smoother. For some reason I would never get lag on that scale ever again, even when returning to the very market I spawned on.

I would say my best moments were going across the ground with my speeder, which I kinda miss nowadays because I usually just fly. Seeing all the other bases , factories, and ships that other people made when speeding across the desert to my house was really cool, and it is kinda a shame that flying is the way to go nowadays. Maybe making ground hauling safer and more economical could make that experience viable, but who knows.

my other highlights were taking the longer-than-expected slowboat to thades where I landed on an asteroid and mined on its moon, when I used a warp drive for the first time to haul everything I had to Jago, finding my first meganode (mining it was another story), , and when I dramatically flew a few meters past a moving hauler on my way to escape the atmosphere.

(sorry for the long post)

6 hours ago, NQ-Naerais said:

Welcome aboard :) 

Also, we appreciate the first thoughts post!  I'd love to hear more of them. 

I've actually played the game for a few months now (and was in this forum for about the same time.) But still, thank you, I appreciate the welcome regardless!

I started playing this game back during NDR times. But quit, and am back with new account paid up for a year.

My first thoughts of this game was not only the building, but the initial idea of solo play, taking on the galaxy. I invisioned a bridge of my own design and creation, fully interactive with screens that I programmed in LUA ( yes I love LUA ), and having a ship that I built from mining my own ores, to creating the factories to build it, with an end result that I could be proud of.

And the different stations on the bridge be manned by other players.

Anything beyond that is bonus.

5 hours ago, JohnnyTazer said:

This is what I expected, as it came directly from NQ.  Tired of being lied to, done with this game.  

Gordon Bennet, lad! You've been saying "done with this game" for over six months. Can I haz your stuff already? Don't let the door hit you on the way out. LOL.
I don't see the point of hanging around dissing something you don't like. Kind of feels like you're suffering from Stockholm syndrome... Just move on... There are other games out there... Life is short, etc. etc...

As a major crowdfunding supporter over the last decade or so, I got here just after the kickstarter and picked up one of the supporter packs.

I pretty much got what I expected. I really enjoyed the freedom and ability to shape my imagination in-game....  Much more so than Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen, which I also backed and also have 1500 and 500 hours play time in respectively. The newtonian physics and the Lua programmable elements hooked me since the other two games have neither (No, ED doesn't have pure newtonian physics.... ED's physics is severely gimped (yaw, anyone?)  and their ships are stacks of kludges on top of kludges).

0.23 put a clamp on that for a few months, but four or so of our remaining active org mates restarted the factories and doubled down and they got NovaX pretty much back to where we had been a few months earlier (proof that schematics absolutely don't work as intended and are completely useless as implemented)... 

maybe 800 to 1000 hours of gameplay later, I still love flying around on the craft I made and designing new structures in game... but as the players left, the social aspect of the game sort of disappeared, which for me, was the main draw.

DU was is close to brilliance but has missed the target a few too many times for some players (like our tazerboy above).

1 minute ago, GraXXoR said:

Gordon Bennet, lad! You've been saying "done with this game" for over six months. Can I haz your stuff already? Don't let the door hit you on the way out. LOL.
I don't see the point of hanging around dissing something you don't like. Kind of feels like you're suffering from Stockholm syndrome... Just move on... There are other games out there... Life is short, etc. etc...

I got here just after the kickstarter and pretty much got what I expected. I really enjoyed the freedom and ability to shape my imagination in-game.... 0.23 put a clamp on that for a few months, but four or so of our remaining active org mates restarted the factories and doubled down and they got NovaX pretty much back to where we had been a few months earlier (proof that schematics absolutely don't work as intended and are completely useless as implemented)... 

maybe 800 to 1000 hours of gameplay later, I still love flying around on the craft I made and designing new structures in game... but as the players left, the social aspect of the game sort of disappeared, which for me, was the main draw.

DU was is close to brilliance but has missed the target a few too many times for some players (like our tazerboy above).

Because the game has been so mismanaged, i occasionally check the forums because ill take pleasure when the servers shut down.  And it will be an example of how not to treat your player base.  This will definitely be the last "early access" game I will back.  Majority never deliver anything remotely close to what they promise.  Case in point: Dual Universe.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyTazer said:

Because the game has been so mismanaged, i occasionally check the forums because ill take pleasure when the servers shut down.  And it will be an example of how not to treat your player base.  This will definitely be the last "early access" game I will back.  Majority never deliver anything remotely close to what they promise.  Case in point: Dual Universe.

Your taking pleasure from servers shutting down demonstrates an awful lot about your character and outlook on life and explains your conduct and language on these forums.

I, personally, would be very disappointed if DU isn't able to pull itself out of the quagmire they have got themselves into.

It's a game that has/had a lot of promise, but is held back by dubious management decisions and its opaque, community facing visage leading to a lack of communication does not endear trust in the kickstarter and other crowdfunding backers.... And paying "beta" testers, for that matter. It was shaping up to be a real roarer of a game, but alas, it looks like it was not meant to be.

Expectations, Nothing.

Game has issues, tat need sorting out 1st so they retain their player base before they try to add new stuff to attract a lot more people, or they will lose them and may never get the majority of them back, siumilar happened to NMS, but they managed to pull a rabbit out of the hat. I hope NQ do too, really!

The game could be fantastic i guess its down to bad comercial decisions of prioritisation.

Like i said, IMO fix the current issues 1st, and fast. Really many of the issues should have beenn realised and dealt with before the game was ever released in any version, which do not bode well, it questions the competence of the project leaders and the executive decisions.

I was expecting a game with an economy where i can find a place to make money. And where I can explore the solar system to find interesing places. And with interesting interactions between player orgs to fight over resources or something that matters.

Found a game which mostly tries to attract players who like building pretty stuff with voxels.

1 hour ago, board_user said:

I was expecting a game with an economy where i can find a place to make money.

Just DU it. I know people who make money with fuel, and a voxel art, like logos and etc.

On 4/16/2021 at 1:23 AM, FrozenFace said:

Just DU it. I know people who make money with fuel, and a voxel art, like logos and etc.

Short answer: Using the market is really annoying because of disconnects and other problems (like incomplete item names in the notifications). Other players have reverted to the stone age where they trade in person and use different channels like discord to arrange trades, but I am not interested in doing this because it takes too much time. And there are other games which do have an actual economy.

When I pledged in the KS, I was expecting a fun building game with a completely unrealistic flight model that would turn into a griefing shit show as combat was added. I thought the game was worth supporting but didn't think I would actually play it much.

The building is more challenging than I expected (that's a good thing.)

The flight model is amazingly good and as a result, flying the ships is much more fun than, say, Second Life.

While the combat model still needs a lot of work, combat is surprising good. There are griefers but they are fairly easy to avoid. When real PVP combat happens, it's fun in spite of all the balance issues. I've done piloting, gunning, and repair during PVP and the piloting and repair jobs were fun - gunnery is a mix of confusing and boring.

I hadn't actually considered the social aspect in my expectation, but that has developed nicely with some players... and I can ignore the ones I don't want to interact with.