I cant help wonder if some of my lag is due to "mining"

Vasten

I know lua scripts execute client side

So when I'm at market, and see script errors from other people scripts and tons of lag...

Part of me cant help but wonder...

Are people mining bitcoin on my pc with lua the way some websites do with my browser?

• Vasten changed the title to I cant help wonder if some of my lag is due to "mining"

Na, not digital mining. Most of the lag at market place is caused as there are so many constructs which need to be pushed down the pipe to you then rendered as you approach.

the scrip errors are because some of the constructs are being noisy and recording all the people that go by them. But databanks are reasonably limited. And a busy market will quickly fill there size limit and a suspect the errors and them trying to go over that limit. 

11 hours ago, Vasten said:

So when I'm at market, and see script errors from other people scripts and tons of lag...

Are people mining bitcoin on my pc with lua the way some websites do with my browser?

I used to make the Bitcoin mining joke back in the second alpha in 2018 when just sitting staring at a patch of grass would often have my computer CPU heat up and make the fans roar.

in fact, just while loading the game, my CPU would be pegged at 100% for 3-4 minutes. 

at one point, being more serious, I thought they might be using out clients to actually generate the random terrain using generative algorithms or be offloading physics calculations...

thankfully things have improved. But there are still problems with voxel optimization, which it seems they’re finally addressing in the PTS. 

10 minutes ago, NQ-Naerais said:

We definitely have some optimization issues going on, but I'm afraid that's where the excitement ends.  ;)

Connect with Coil. Use XRP for real time revenue. This way we only pay when we play, precicely down to a second. The connection is basically one code line.

Although I am a Ruby Founder, I would still gladly pay you extra revenue while playing. (I already use Coil and hold XRP).

13 hours ago, sHuRuLuNi said:

Connect with Coil. Use XRP for real time revenue. This way we only pay when we play, precicely down to a second. The connection is basically one code line.

Although I am a Ruby Founder, I would still gladly pay you extra revenue while playing. (I already use Coil and hold XRP).

Yeah.. charge for time usage then see how much worse people scream about lag haha

On 4/11/2021 at 11:12 AM, Vasten said:

No, lol.

The scripts you see at the markets are players tracking who goes to that market - and probably more importantly, how many people are using that market. The scripts don't do much more than record your presence and stop. Some of them aren't coded very well and don't stop themselves - that's likely to lead to errors since it can hang the PB. But they can't mess with your computer. (And I doubt you could ever actually mine bitcoin in lua - it's not a language for computationally complex code).

But mining - in game mining - probably is contributing to the lag. Most of the planet is drawn procedurally from a starting seed and the actual pollys are calculated client side. Every time someone digs a hole, that reshaping of the planet surface because data that has to be transferred to your client before the client can draw the scene... so, if there's been a lot of mining nearby, it will slow the process down.