a factory for building ships

realMod

I believe they were gonna ng to make industry which would take a blue print and components and push out final product.

guess the problem is why would youmdo this when you can just take blue print, product and do it yourself at the press of a button currently.

It sound's too fantastic having the 1 click experience - when I saw the diy space elevators in DU I came to think of other buildings / factories.

Above mentioned examples are not 100% immersive.

I am just impressed.

They would have to either dumb down the one click system, or give bonuses to the factory version.

there are a lot of talents which help improve construct aspects when they are placed down by a skilled person. The latest patch also made it that somebody can now just apply their best talents to a construct with just a few clicks.

for Industry which make ships to have an use, there would have to be something like those talents, but which are based on the grade of the industry I suppose.

this would either have to replace the current talents, be a different avenue to these talents, it the person with the talent starts the machine, it add a new set of advantages which could be applied.

still think it could work and be cool

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps I am just missing something, but given how BP currently work, this just seems like building an overcomplicated box in to which you deploy it. It makes sense in SE because you cant just link to a container and drop a print, you actually needed a printer for speed-building.

In DU we'd need to remove some or all function from the print deployment tool and hand it over to some manner of printer element. It would definitely be cool, but something will need to be done to account for ownership, and some manner of significant test run would be required to ensure a reasonably large portion of the rest of the player-base likes it,

On 4/14/2021 at 9:37 PM, UnscriptedVert said:

This whole thread goes to show yet another reason why I posted a thread about content.. Adding rotors, motors and pistons.

Thanks for posting. Loved the videos.

Trouble is those types of components are the very same components that really screw up performance in space engineers servers and that is for servers of 16 - 100 players.

So they would need to be really careful how they implement these and there would always be an upper limit for these sort of components I would imagine.

Having said that I would love this sort of thing, there is something about making space worms that make me laugh as it approaches with its laser ridden mouth :D

DU and SE ship building are so different its hard to figure how such a thing could even fit into the DU universe.  In DU ship elements are made in a factory.  in SE ship elements are welded together.  So if you had a system in DU that welded those elements together like in SE your eliminating a step of the DU chain which many players are worked hard at setting up. Basically your making DU less of a game.  Nore could you have it take less elements to build the blueprint (IE if the blueprint calls for 4 engines you cannot have it only take 3 engines to be built in the ship factory).  Not to mention the rage you would get from players not being able to one click build blueprints. 

About the only thing you could do is have the ship factory increase stats. And thats already covered by placement handling. And the bonuses from that are already pretty insane, so much so that you dont really want to increase it.  With the exception of honeycomb HP. Thats the only stat that is not increased. 

So I guess the way a ship factory could work in DU would be, you place all the parts into the ship factory, and the blueprint. and it prints out the ship with increased voxel HP. 

Hey all,

so there seems to be some kind of interest / ideas floating around.

For me it is really about "seeing" the construct become alive step by step.

One could also think of pausing the construction if elements are missing.

And yes - it takes some time. Instead of having the construct instantly teleporting in using a blueprint.

Perhaps if this were to be made the equivalent of a "ship-dispenser", where here you activate it (probably not being the owner of the printing-construct itself), it asks you to confirm its usage (like dispensers already do), and then if you click yes and still have available core capacity, it spawns the ship in for you from a print and parts in its own invo (possibly with the skills of the printer-owner and friends applied)...

...The ship could technically exist immediately once it starts printing, but have some manner of visual effect that makes it invisible and then has it fade in to view from one end to the other, the whole time the ship's elements cant be interacted with until the ship was completely visible...

On 5/5/2021 at 6:32 PM, RugesV said:

So I guess the way a ship factory could work in DU would be, you place all the parts into the ship factory, and the blueprint. and it prints out the ship with increased voxel HP. 

On 5/10/2021 at 12:20 PM, Taelessael said:

Perhaps if this were to be made the equivalent of a "ship-dispenser", where here you activate it (probably not being the owner of the printing-construct itself), it asks you to confirm its usage (like dispensers already do), and then if you click yes and still have available core capacity, it spawns the ship in for you from a print and parts in its own invo (possibly with the skills of the printer-owner and friends applied)...

I like the idea of a ship dispenser. But having the advantage that a person with placement talents can place them on the production machine, and they get placed onto the printed ship.

This would mean people with placement skills still get use of them, but you don’t have to do a in-person token swap to purchase a ship with skills placed.