Ship exploded for no "visibe" reason, suspect draw lag due to shipp spam at markets

SpacePirate

2 minutes ago, FuriousPuppy said:

let me extend an olive branch to the bleeding hearts out there upset at the idea of losing ships parked at the market.

-Does the market clutter affect the game? answer: yes
-Will compactifying it remove constructs and help? answer: no, they will redeploy and continue to block and clutter markets. Problem not solved

-Will making the planet share a universal market hub so all markets on that planet share the same pool of items help? answer: yes but thats not what NQ wants. Problem not solved

-Will Deleting/Abandoning unwanted constructs at markets help? answer: yes, markets are for buisness and trade, not free real estate for anyone who wants to park entire buildings there

Compacting and re-spawning from a terminal would solve the clutter issue better than salvage. 

- Salvage takes time and there's no gaurantee people will completely salvage a craft. People have to identify salvage craft and do operations to destroy it. 
- Compacting could be done after a couple of minutes or hours after landing -- there's no loss, so no hassle. This makes it unfeasible to just respawn the construct for adverts and makes it much faster to clean things up. There's other controls they could add if people just try to spam a respawn, like throttling it so you only get 1 respawn per 15 minutes but that ships de-spawn after 10 minutes....

1 minute ago, FuriousPuppy said:

let me extend an olive branch to the bleeding hearts out there upset at the idea of losing ships parked at the market.

-Does the market clutter affect the game? answer: yes
-Will compactifying it remove constructs and help? answer: no, they will redeploy and continue to block and clutter markets. Problem not solved

-Will making the planet share a universal market hub so all markets on that planet share the same pool of items help? answer: yes but thats not what NQ wants. Problem not solved

-Will Deleting/Abandoning unwanted constructs at markets help? answer: yes, markets are for buisness and trade, not free real estate for anyone who wants to park entire buildings there

You keep moving the goalposts and mixing arguments to cover different issues. 

Will compactifying help.  Yes, because it automatically removes all constructs not being actively redeployed, ie, left for long periods of time, which is the majority of them.

What about people who redeploy them?  Well, if they are willing to redeploy them it really isn't any different than moving them 5 feet to reset the deletion/free salvage countdown.  That is an entirely different problem.  People parking advertisements requires a totally different solution, unless they consider it emergent gameplay and encourage it.

but what about the cities? big cities built by the players themselves? what will we do when such will appear? delete? park? fine? or they will not consist of voxels? only questions...

image.png

Ship compactifying is a small hit on realism, but at least is a compromise for the parking dilemma. 
For ads, i think, such solution can be implemented: Ship packing will be done in n (n=1?) hours, and packed ship can only be unpacked back at this market. Of course owner can redeploy his construct every n hours, but it would require his constant involvement. They can also add option for the people who don't want their ship packed to toggle "tax based parking", which cost would depend on construct's volume (cross-section?). So you pay a tax or hire someone who will redeploy your ad every hour. 
For "such" griefing, well, I don't see ingame solution right now. The problem with the markets is that they are owned by NQ, and they would need to be involved in conflict resolution here, even if the consider it not true to "Non intervention policy." Some ideas that they can do:
- Fine everyone who cause collision with other player.
- Shoot everyone who do not follow standard landing protocols (Need atmo pvp)
- Ban (But who would do it, and also it is not ingame solution)

17 minutes ago, SeM said:

but what about the cities? big cities built by the players themselves? what will we do when such will appear? delete? park? fine? or they will not consist of voxels? only questions...

image.png

Their tile then NP. The problem is blocking Markets and distrists.

3 hours ago, Taziar said:

The people who are suggesting constructs be auto-abandoned must really must hate this game.  Deleting a players stuff is a sure way to get them to quit.  The solution is to despawn them after x days and allow the player or respawn them for free, at least in safe zones.  Risking a smaller playerbase just so you can wag your finger at people is rather shortsighted.  

I have played a lot of games which make players do certain things to ensure security of there assets and if they dont do those things they lose there assets.  Which WILL be the case for all of the assets of unsubbed players if and when NQ include atmos pvp.  I am not sure I am suggesting anything that radical.  Just asking people to make sure there stuff is on a secure tiles once every seven days.  Hardly suggesting nightime raiding lol.

I guarantee you, if this was in place from the start of the game, noone would leave there stuff out.  That said I am quite happy with your solution. 

Still not going to concede that parking your stuff at your base once a week is asking a lot.

8 hours ago, NQ-Naerais said:

We know this is a sore spot, this is still something we're working on.  

What other kinds of 'punishment' would you want to see? 

No punishment.

Turn crafts into a magic blueprint after a while*, which is stored in the market container and usable within 500m of the market container, similar to placing something via linked container. All the tech to do this is already there. 

As it is stored in the closest market, it would be easy to find. Cant find your ship? Check market containers via "J", which can be done from remote already.

Want to abuse the system? Sure, wait for your ship to despawn so you can spawn it again 500 meters further west. There is no way to abuse this if you are unable to take the bp with you.

Somebody "innocent" is hit? No harm done, just spawn the ship again. 

This would be a super easy pill to swallow, because nobody is punished, it would just get rid of all the permanent stuff at the markets.

*: So what is "after a while"? Best thing to make the game look alive, but not trashed would be the following rule: 
If there are more than X crafts within the tile, the oldest ship is despawned, unless it was parked for less than Y minutes.

So at market 6 there would only be X crafts at the same time, unless a lot of people arrived just now, it also means you would see different ships everytime you arrive (which is the difference between looking alive and looking deserted). Alioth moon markets would pretty much never despawn anything, or any of the outer planets.

At some point in the future you can of course add stuff like public advertisement space, an item that stops your craft from despawning which can only be used in a certain zone at the side (and in limited numbers at a time) etc. So any stuff that allows people to have semi-permanent presence at the market, you can add that later. For now we need something to get rid of stuff, not something to allow more.

10 hours ago, SpacePirate said:

Idk about punishment for this, which is why i suggested a docking bay, clamps the ship. and lowers it to an internal hidden docking bay, needless to say but here ill say it anyway lol. Mass limit on docking ability, if you exceed mass limit, auditory warning to clear the area timer, then pew pew pew pew KABOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm!

"You are in violation of flight regulations, you have 30 seconds to comply...You are in violation of flight regulations, you have 20 seconds to comply..You are in violation of flight regulations, you have 10 seconds to comply"..

That’s not going to fly: Requires dev time.

NQ’s standard MO lately is to not actually develop code but merely shuffle variables about a bit and hope for the best. 

so any solutions we propose need to assume a requirement of almost zero coding.  

Simplest method without a doubt is the auto compact to magic bloop (after some arbitrary set time: 48hrs... 1 week) that can only be decompactified on the same tile.  

if they want it to be punitive, have a redeployment fee based on core size. 

this solution has been proposed by Myself and others hundreds of times. But thank you ended up just expanding the landing pad which is about the worst, most inane solution imaginable.

9 hours ago, ShippyLongstalking said:

Easy. Fair. Works for people that let their subs lapse for months then come back; sub-based games need people to be able to come back after their subs lapse without losing all their shit. 

That is a very good point I hadn’t really considered. (Though I was more in the compactify and pay to respawn group, anyway). 

although I think static constructs and TCUs are fair game and should become unclaimed/shift to generic org property a couple of months after subscriptions lapse.  But that’s beyond the scope of this thread. 

11 minutes ago, FuriousPuppy said:

ill be happy with anything at this point as another new player just posted on the forums that it was too much of a struggle to load the starting area and quit the game. Constructs need to be moved off markets Compact or deleted or w/e it just needs to happen. 

Maybe make the starting area an isolated place like the tutorials so they can walk through the building normally and enjoy the game... sigh

Yep. It's so dumb that this has been something discussed for ages and ages and yet the dev priority with last update was plugging in purchased assets and jetpack tweaks lol. No wonder JC got canned...this issue alone would make me wonder wtf he is doing all day. 

22 hours ago, Atmosph3rik said:

I do like the idea of punishing people who leave crap at the markets on purpose.

I dont like the idea of punishing ppl for doing exactly what NQ wanted players to do. 

"game engine will support 10000 ships in the market, here look at this video of 10000 avatars walking around" 

"never despawn ships from the game, breaks connection with realism" 

"any territory not claimed by you is unsafe to park, here use markets" 

"everyone spawns on a market and is forced by a quest to spawn a speeder in the market" 

"never despawn ships from the game, breaks connection with realism"

This is going to bite them in the ass in a major way.  Or would if the game became popular, so in a way I guess they found a solution to that problem. 

Space is big, but for the game to feel like a civilization simulator you need people to congregate. Those places can quickly become cluttered and laggy.  In normal MMOs, it can be hard to click on vendors because of the swarm of people on mounts blocking your view.  This game adds in collision to mounts, mounts being the size of a spaceship, and mounts staying there after the person logs out.  Oh, and they removed instancing so it concentrates people even more.

Not saying those can't be solved, but they should be at the implementing stage at this point, not still figuring out solutions to problems that the industry solved by specifically NOT designing the game like NQ did.  

Tell you what's ironic....  I just restarted NMS in VR a few days ago... haven't played for over six months... but there's a new playmode called Expeditions that has quests, goals, aims and a set of objecttives for players to reach... It's aimed at advanced players who know how to play and have been through all the tutorials and finished the main storyline and reached the centre of the galaxy.

It's a refresh, with new mechanics, new goals, better graphics and brings together over a dozen major patches and three times the number of minor interstitial bug fixes.

I admit, I had high hopes and high expectations for the game, even though I literally only heard of it three days before release, so was not on the hype train.... And I have been playing it on and off since release day.

But as I said, a few days ago,  I logged on and started playing as free time permitted, the day before yesterday there were a dozen other players around me and literally hundreds of player constructs within a few minutes flight time...

Being busy at the start of the fiscal year, I had to take a day off.. When I came back on, I found my fledgling base surrounded by activity... there were now a dozen bases within radar range of my own, one had a farm. another was building underwater... and when I investigated, the tech was sensible enough to know that water stays OUT of sealed constructs.... There were solar farms, batteries, energy requirements, pets, companions, PVE missions, NPCs....  The game is NOTHING like the one I remember on launch day.

For example, there are apparently over a quadrillion planets in NMS, but after 4 and a half years, they have managed to bring players together more than ever before... There wasn't even a chat window when NMS launched, but now there is a hive of activitiy in the ANOMALY which is a summonable player hub.

Those guys have turned a false start and broken dreams into reality... Sure, it's a different genre, this being ostensibly hard sci-fi and that being science fantasy...

but at the end of the day, I believe...
          ...there is still a modicum of hope for NQ.... If NMS is anything to go by.

2 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

Those guys have turned a false start and broken dreams into reality... Sure, it's a different genre, this being ostensibly hard sci-fi and that being science fantasy...

but at the end of the day, I believe...
          ...there is still a modicum of hope for NQ.... If NMS is anything to go by.

NMS is one of the most fantastic stories of hype, crushed expectations, and pure redemption in gaming history. 

They've worked it in the ~5 years since it launched.

NMS was built by a small but technical team -- they built their own engine and did some magical things with procgen.

Their approach to terrain generation / projection is very technically ambitious and pioneering. From the start, their game design was simple and their design/UI/UX was refined. 

Frankly, I don't see that same level of skill with DU...on any front. Design. Technology. UI/UX...All these need major, major work. 

But then, DU isn't at release yet, so who knows? Redemption is always possible, it'll just take a lot of work and a lot of focus. 

Most basic simple solution, ship's towed, and impounded till you pay a fee to have it restored. Ends the grief and creates a quanta drain. Realistically even if I leave my car at airport long term parking, after so long it is considered abandoned and is towed. (No BS, I work overseas for 3 months at a time and my car was towed the first time because I didn't know that was a thing. My boss had fun trying to get my car out of impound too.)

TL:DR  You stay, you pay. Ship's towed pleb, impound fee based on ship size and mass. All market problems solved.

7 hours ago, Seijuro said:

TL:DR  You stay, you pay. Ship's towed pleb, impound fee based on ship size and mass. All market problems solved.

Temporarily at least. 

All those suggestions are well and nice and all but NQ dreams of a civilization with "potentially millions of players". Servertech has to work with AT LEAST some hundred constructs around or it's good bye civilization 

On 4/9/2021 at 8:43 PM, GraXXoR said:

I just restarted NMS in VR a few days ago... haven't played for over six months... but there's a new playmode called Expeditions that has quests, goals, aims and a set of objecttives for players to reach...

And in that time frame NMS added more new features and playability then NQ has ever done since the start of the game in late 2016 (plus what I would guess is 1-2 years of private dev time before the kickstarter). That from my perspective says everything.

On 4/9/2021 at 5:38 AM, NQ-Naerais said:

We know this is a sore spot, this is still something we're working on.  

What other kinds of 'punishment' would you want to see? 

Punishment is kind of a bad word/idea.

my preference is any construct left for over an hour (it’s a market place, one hour is more than enough to purchase/sell) gets transported (free) to the north (or south) pole.

they don’t lose ownership, they don’t lose their ship, even provide a free Sanctuary type shuttle to the pole where ships are parked. 

Fox’s the problem. There for more than an hour, it’s moved.

You don’t lose ship, but it only blocks up the valuable area for an hour max.