New experience for all of us

TonyTones

I've been thinking about the past few days and even the last few months, even back to .23. Some in the DU community including myself can be pretty harsh towards NQ. This last few days has been no exception. Sometimes it's all written off as trolling but that's not the whole story. The trolls are a small number of people. I think this is a huge learning experience for all of us. 

On the NQ side, know that you want us to build a civilization and that requires lots and lots of time. Lots of us have been grinding away at this for many many hours. If something changes and puts that all into jeopardy, we want to know. It's not like call of duty where the damage will change slightly. Changes here mean dozens, maybe hundreds of hours of work lost. In the extreme case of the game shutting down, people want to know they aren't pumping hours into nothing essentially.

On the community side, we have probably learned a lot about ourselves and how we fit into games like this. How sometimes we stop enjoying the game and worry too much about things we can't control.

I think that for a game to be the real life Ready Player One, the developer has to be serious about nurturing it's community and the community needs to be reasonable with their expectations from the developer. I've learned quite a bit here and It's been a fun ride.

Looking at the situation of this game, all you remaining hardcores can think about is "but... what about my stuff?"? It is like the world is at war, an ICBM is about to hit the city, and all you can think about is your gold in the safe? How about we all agree to a f***ing wipe (including the talent) since this game has been released in such a condition that it shouldn't have been released? Save the game, save yourself, not save your gold! This is the f***ing problem with you people: you are in an Indiana Jones movie, there is a cave full of gold that your team have discovered, the cave is about to collapse and you want to remain there until your death because you couldn't let go of the gold! Fix the f***ing game, wipe it, and let us all restart in an equal foot! This isn't f***ing Lord of the Rings man! You people have been consumed by the ring, succumbed by it's power! Get real with yourself man! You people are full of joke! Talk all you want OK, the f***ing game is about to go! 

Look at this idiot! Despicable!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUCpTzAj6oI

1 hour ago, Eternal said:

Another thread about "what about my stuff?" on a game that is about to go! 

LOL... how about you settle down and stop wasting time posting on a forum for game that has clearly hurt your feelings.

Forgot to ask.... can I have your stuff?

57 minutes ago, Eternal said:

Looking at the situation of this game, all you remaining hardcores can think about is "but... what about my stuff?"? It is like the world is at war, an ICBM is about to hit the city, and all you can think about is your gold in the safe? How about we all agree to a f***ing wipe (including the talent) since this game has been released in such a condition that it shouldn't have been released? Save the game, save yourself, not save your gold! This is the f***ing problem with you people: you are in an Indiana Jones movie, there is a cave full of gold that your team have discovered, the cave is about to collapse and you want to remain there until your death because you couldn't let go of the gold! Fix the f***ing game, wipe it, and let us all restart in an equal foot! This isn't f***ing Lord of the Rings man! You people have been consumed by the ring, succumbed by it's power! Get real with yourself man! You people are full of joke! Talk all you want OK, the f***ing game is about to go! 

You know this is an MMO right? The game isn't meant to have wipes its meant to progressively build upon itself and other than seeding issues there is no reason in hell they should wipe. A wipe would only benefit a tiny portion of the population who started playing later, and even then a couple months down the road when more new people come they will cry wipe again too cause anyone just starting out feels intimidated by the people around them who have been playing for months. Regardless with the economy already fairly on its feet there is nothing keeping a new player from catching up within a short few days. Mine a bit and you have millions to buy whatever you need to start your adventure. Also no one is crying about their stuff, he's explaining a very solid point that when you spend hundreds and thousands of hours building and creating you want to know that your creations are safe. They take a ton of your time, wanting them to be there tomorrow isn't too much to ask when the game is meant to be permanent. No one gives a shit about gold, they care about voxelmancy and designs that took weeks and months of planning to execute, but you probably wouldn't know that, you sound more like a fair whether fan that spends more time trolling in the forums than actually playing the game. Lastly, why the hell are you even in here talking trash? The only joke here is that you think the game is dying and you have nothing better to do than talk trash in apparently dying forums. 

5 minutes ago, IvanGrozniy said:

EVERYTHING Etenral posts you should do your best to pay attention to, he's not just blowing steam, this is the mind that will fix the game!

My post isn't about "hey let us keep our stuff" and coming off like an upset child doesn't make people listen. I was speaking with the mindset that the game will die. Now that I see the post from NQ, I have a bit more hope. With that said however, in the spirit of a dieng game I wanted to take a second and reflect. Maybe with some luck new management at NQ hears us that if they want us to dump hours to build this civilization, they need to communicate. Also acknowledging that I/we as a community aren't perfect either. That's all..   They need us obviously in terms of income and to make this game into the thriving civ they advertise. We need them to keep the lights on and update, bug fix, whatever. Symbiotic relationships and such

2 hours ago, Eternal said:

:D

Contrary to that, my DU livestream I did yesterday (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTbSKKT5AKo) echoes your feelings exactly. I have also said that many times in many other streams. As far as I am concerned they should do a complete wipe, overhaul - just save the game.

Also: If they would offer cosmetics as a revenue stream, I really would want a fluid skin for my ship like what happened here with my ship on the stream (through light rays). That skin is a beast :)

ANjmM9.gif

1 hour ago, iNFiDeL said:

You know this is an MMO right? The game isn't meant to have wipes its meant to progressively build upon itself and other than seeding issues there is no reason in hell they should wipe. A wipe would only benefit a tiny portion of the population who started playing later, and even then a couple months down the road when more new people come they will cry wipe again too cause anyone just starting out feels intimidated by the people around them who have been playing for months. Regardless with the economy already fairly on its feet there is nothing keeping a new player from catching up within a short few days. Mine a bit and you have millions to buy whatever you need to start your adventure. Also no one is crying about their stuff, he's explaining a very solid point that when you spend hundreds and thousands of hours building and creating you want to know that your creations are safe. They take a ton of your time, wanting them to be there tomorrow isn't too much to ask when the game is meant to be permanent. No one gives a shit about gold, they care about voxelmancy and designs that took weeks and months of planning to execute, but you probably wouldn't know that, you sound more like a fair whether fan that spends more time trolling in the forums than actually playing the game. Lastly, why the hell are you even in here talking trash? The only joke here is that you think the game is dying and you have nothing better to do than talk trash in apparently dying forums. 

How much mining will it take me to catch up with the guy who got 112 warp beacon schematics at 1% of the normal price?  I make that over 100BILLION quanta ....

Yeah sure. Wipe the whole game again. That’ll fix it. 

Third time’s a charm and all that. 

lol. 

after taking a break, I turn around and look back on the hundreds of hours I put in and can’t help but wonder “what is a grown man doing playing video games?”

kinda made me put my whole, recent life into perspective. 

I actually think I’m likely done with games. 

Each of us has a different reason for playing video games.
I can tell you why I played with it: to vent my creative vein, my need to build and see my aesthetic sense and inventiveness realized, my hobbyist design skills and amazed by the artistic solutions found by others.
Yes, I am from that part of the players who played DU for his creative ability. PVP and commerce have never attracted me.
I liked to build.
And I still do, in other games and even out of games.

I don't know what "all adults" are doing to play a video game. Everyone has their own reason.
There is no more valid or less valid reason. There is only how you perceive it, for yourself.

As for the rest, I am sorry to be "brutal" but no one who is going to close a game will ever tell you "in 6 months we are planning to close everything, in the meantime we will squeeze you as much as we can".
It's commercial madness.
You won't know.
If they tell you that everything will be fine, that they won't whipe, and that everything will go smoothly, it could be true, or a huge bullshit. It is up to you to decide whether to continue or not.
But what you are asking is ... naive.

Extremely naive.

Edited by Leogradance
add

1 hour ago, Leogradance said:

Each of us has a different reason for playing video games.
I can tell you why I played with it: to vent my creative vein, my need to build and see my aesthetic sense and inventiveness realized, my hobbyist design skills and amazed by the artistic solutions found by others.
Yes, I am from that part of the players who played DU for his creative ability. PVP and commerce have never attracted me.
I liked to build.
And I still do, in other games and even out of games.

I don't know what "all adults" are doing to play a video game. Everyone has their own reason.
There is no more valid or less valid reason. There is only how you perceive it, for yourself.

As for the rest, I am sorry to be "brutal" but no one who is going to close a game will ever tell you "in 6 months we are planning to close everything, in the meantime we will squeeze you as much as we can".
It's commercial madness.
You won't know.
If they tell you that everything will be fine, that they won't whipe, and that everything will go smoothly, it could be true, or a huge bullshit. It is up to you to decide whether to continue or not.
But what you are asking is ... naive.

Extremely naive.

Good point. If they're closing they won't tell us. I'm more worried about what happened this weekend which is: they aren't closing shop but communication has been almost 0 for 3 months so when info like the ceo switch comes out, people speculate and some people leave the game. They resolved it, good. I'll continue to play. I just wonder if we would have gotten anything if people didn't speak out. It may be asking a lot for them to communicate these types of things but the flip side is they're asking us to basically partner with them in building this game. They lay down the framework and we make all of the content. 

6 hours ago, Zeddrick said:

How much mining will it take me to catch up with the guy who got 112 warp beacon schematics at 1% of the normal price?  I make that over 100BILLION quanta ....

And why do you need to catch up? Seriously, what have you accomplished if/when you catch up to that rich guy or org?

2 hours ago, Doombad said:

And why do you need to catch up? Seriously, what have you accomplished if/when you catch up to that rich guy or org?

So, lets summarize it.

NQ did the mistake and several players use this mistake. NQ didn't have balls to repair it.

Now Zeddrick is asking to punish thousands of innocent players who put their time and do the mining to accomplish something in the game.

8 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

Yeah sure. Wipe the whole game again. That’ll fix it

From a technical point of view, every game should have a wipe at release date. 

But NQ decided to cash in beta subscriptions with the promise and threat that the game clock had already started and ppl not in would be left behind.... 

12 hours ago, IvanGrozniy said:

EVERYTHING Etenral posts you should do your best to pay attention to, he's not just blowing steam, this is the mind that will fix the game!

Sure calling a moderate youtuber an "idiot" without offering a single line justifying why, is what we need to pay atention to. 

Saying that he is "gone" and that we can see him in Starbase is also something we should pay atention too. 

He is steaming so hard is difficult to understand any constructive idea he has. And its not up to us to filter it. 

There are far better ppl here to read. 

I dont agree with blazemonger in many topics. But he tries hard to skip the BS and steaming and offer solutions.