Engine Cut coming out of cruise into travel mode

Michalas

Coming back to the market in my hauler in cruise mode at around 400 meters up, I hit tab, switched to travel mode and prepared to park at the market.  Instead my hauler engines cut to zero, I could not get anything to start and I hit the ground and died.  It seems that cruise to travel mode causes the engines to cut and I could not any thrust going before hitting the ground.  Recommendations?  Bug?

Engine cut switching back to travel mode is normal. What else could the system do? It's most likely that the engines where in between throttle notches in cruise and leaving the engines running might mess up your throttle positions. Easier to set to zero.

From a piloting perspective, this just means you need to set the throttle to the desired value as soon as you switch.

If you were unable to set the throttle, you probably didn't hit tab again to get out of locked mode. As Tony says, safer to use alt-R to toggle cruise control.

Going from travel to cruise is safe because it just sets cruise speed to your current speed, but coming back to travel will indeed set your engines to zero.

But you should have your original

momentum and your brakes should not instantly engage. 

moreover. It doesn’t matter if you use alt-R or tab and mouse. Both work the same. 

the problem with tab mouse is that you have to remember to press tab again to go back to control mode. 

once back, you should just be able to scroll the mouse wheel to engage the desired thrust level. 

now if you have L atmos or worse, advanced or rare freighter engines, you’ll find that the upwards of 30 seconds T50 (time to reach 50% thrust) will mean your ship will take time to come back up to power and if you are loaded, you may start to drop. 

add to that the typical tanked frame rates around the markets and you have a potential for disaster. 

I personally wouldn’t swap from cruise back to travel until I was safely parked. 

Why not just stay in cruise mode and use scroll wheel to reduce speed as you come in. I find using cruise to approach and then maneuver/park at low speed to work really well.. Once at your desired spot, just MMB and park..

But then, I use Achaegeo's HUD so I just hit G and land once at my parking spot