Where is everyone?

Xsarec

I started playing this game and it is a lot of fun! Some of the construct ships and buildings are amazing like the huge space port. Now all of this took some time and people to build I am sure, but since I have been playing (started two weeks ago) I have seen maybe 15 people in total. Even at the district 6 hub which according to youtube videos is a main hub I am lucky to see another person there.

Are people farther out in space and no longer on Alioth? I know it is a laggy planet now with all the abandon constructs everywhere, but I am sure NQ is going to clean that up soon.. ( At least I hope so, district 6 is more of a junkyard than a trade hub...lol)

I just can't figure out where everyone went...

The short answer is that the amount of players has declined since all of the ships and buildings were built, and since most of those videos were recorded. I will add that there are some bigger space stations with some people on them but we're talking small numbers out there.

8 minutes ago, SirJohn85 said:

I took the liberty of posting a group picture from the closed alpha.

unknown.png

Almost as many as there were during the DU NDA alpha. Lol. 

OH HANG ON, I don’t think I’m allowed to say that...NDA. 

it was so crowded those first few weeks after the alpha restart.  

Madis MP3 is also very quiet these days. Until about a month ago it was fairly active. Until two months ago, it was humming with major activity.

hell, I went to Utopia station a few days ago and that was also silent. 

these 8 weeks have been utterly brutal, numbers-wise.   

1 minute ago, GraXXoR said:

Almost as many as there were during the DU NDA alpha. Lol. 

OH HANG ON, I don’t think I’m allowed to say that...NDA. 

it was so crowded those first few weeks after the alpha restart.  

NDA? These developers have no problem with that. Hopefully early access in May. But a definite date is supposed to come in April.

A lot of people joined after beta released and as anyone should expect the player base declined because there is not enough gameplay to sustain most players unless they are really into the building part of it.

1 hour ago, SirJohn85 said:

NDA? These developers have no problem with that. Hopefully early access in May. But a definite date is supposed to come in April.

No real NDA for Starbase, even streaming is allowed.

There really is no comparing SB to DU right now as far as player numbers.   In origin there are a lot more players in the area than almost anywhere in DU, period.  May not sound like a big deal until you realize that Starbase is a CLOSED ACCESS ALPHA.

FRICKING daily I am getting guild members popping into discord who have been absent for weeks, wondering "where everybody is?!?"  They havent been on for weeks or months sometimes and they wanna know where everybody went.  

4 hours ago, Xsarec said:

I started playing this game and it is a lot of fun! Some of the construct ships and buildings are amazing like the huge space port. Now all of this took some time and people to build I am sure, but since I have been playing (started two weeks ago) I have seen maybe 15 people in total. Even at the district 6 hub which according to youtube videos is a main hub I am lucky to see another person there.

Are people farther out in space and no longer on Alioth? I know it is a laggy planet now with all the abandon constructs everywhere, but I am sure NQ is going to clean that up soon.. ( At least I hope so, district 6 is more of a junkyard than a trade hub...lol)

Since there's only building and lua for now, all players left are REALLY into building. Hasnt changed for years so they're dedicated. 

Pvpers left because its beyond boring and bad

Industrialists can't really do anything with their products because markets are dead 

Yup. Most ppl left and may return. Or not. 

As for the Empire, we're building our station out in space. Most of the people who offered to help build are building it. On the PVP side, we're building our fleet back up. We're almost ready for official PVP ops again. 

I don't think Starbase is much different. You build, you shoot, you mine. I haven't played any of it, but, seeing the videos, it's not the answer to everything.

16 minutes ago, EasternGamer said:

I don't think Starbase is much different. You build, you shoot, you mine. I haven't played any of it, but, seeing the videos, it's not the answer to everything.

It has Avatar vs Avatar and electricity... 

It also has ship breaking as a job or hauling rocks back to station to have people mine there. Gas harvesting which is new and I don't know much about ect. Combat is actual dogfighting and skilled flying, first person shooting. Shooting with your character ect. DU has staring at a screen hitting a button for combat and sitting in a hole for 8 hours on a meganode and selling it to bots to buy schematics that are in place to slow you down. woo content

8 minutes ago, TonyTones said:

It also has ship breaking as a job or hauling rocks back to station to have people mine there. Gas harvesting which is new and I don't know much about ect. Combat is actual dogfighting and skilled flying, first person shooting. Shooting with your character ect. DU has staring at a screen hitting a button for combat and sitting in a hole for 8 hours on a meganode and selling it to bots to buy schematics that are in place to slow you down. woo content

And you can snipe people out of ships. (Here shooting to a tank fuel)

22 minutes ago, SirJohn85 said:

It has Avatar vs Avatar and electricity... 

Still not for me, because I cannot play as a robot (cannot identify with it) ... also it does not seem to have much emphasis on exploration, which is always No.1 on my Space Games List.

Just now, sHuRuLuNi said:

Still not for me, because I cannot play as a robot (cannot identify with it) ... also it does not seem to have much emphasis on exploration, which is always No.1 on my Space Games List.

It's not my job to convince people. But for those who don't see a flamethrower, rocket launcher or C4 Explosives aka Avatar vs Avatar as "much different", then I'll set the record straight for a moment.

11 minutes ago, SirJohn85 said:

It's not my job to convince people. But for those who don't see a flamethrower, rocket launcher or C4 Explosives aka Avatar vs Avatar as "much different", then I'll set the record straight for a moment.

I am sure as you say it is much different than DU, but what I was saying is I don't really care about any of those things in a Space Game. For me a "space game" could be summarized from the Star Trek Intro "Space ... the final frontier ...", "boldly go where no one has gone before ...", "seek out new life and new civilizations ..."  

26 minutes ago, SirJohn85 said:

Yeah, I was right. It isn't much different fundamentally. Much like any space game. You shoot, you mine, you build. It looks cool, sure, but it's just an expanded version of DU with a more defined damage model, physics and mining. I'm not saying it's better or worse, I'm saying it's not the answer to everything. Much like Dual Universe wasn't the answer to everything if you had only played Space Engineers.

21 minutes ago, sHuRuLuNi said:

I am sure as you say it is much different than DU, but what I was saying is I don't really care about any of those things in a Space Game. For me a "space game" could be summarized from the Star Trek Intro "Space ... the final frontier ...", "boldly go where no one has gone before ...", "seek out new life and new civilizations ..."  

Then DU is the wrong game for you, 0 space exploration. 

1 hour ago, sHuRuLuNi said:

So, if they opened a 3 inch slit in the robot's face mask and painted on an expressionless pair of lips would that be more or less human than DU characters? ?

8 hours ago, Xsarec said:

Before the 0.23 patch DU had a bare bone game loop with building, industry and quasi PvP. Just enough to keep people interested until proper release features at least.

But NQ then suddenly decided to nerf the entire industry part of the game, and turn the grind up to 11 and more.. This was done to solve some future problems with players reaching 'end game' to quickly. But.. it was done without having a game infrastructure to interest players with 1/3 of the game loop (industry) suddenly made irrelevant to most players, and the rest now hidden behind a wall of grind (DU is often refereed to as a mining simulator). So NQ basically destroyed the already very bare bone game loop in a subscription game, and predictably players left because of it.

1 hour ago, TonyTones said:

Woah, realistic destruction, not just all good until the core is damaged then everyone dies randomly lol. Pieces fly off and you don't have floating voxel everywhere? wild

During a pvp event 2 weeks ago I lost my fighter ship at one point, my ship exploded around me and my chair flew out of the ship with me attached as explosions and debris went in all directions.  I got out of my chair and pulled out my grenade launcher and started firing in anger at the ships engaging each other all around me.

*FOOM* Miss

*FOOM* Miss

*FOOM* MASSIVE EXPLOSION as the ship flying past me turned into confetti from the grenade I lobbed into the cockpit connects.  I stared dumbfounded at the screen...Poor bastard didnt know what hit him

One of the people watching the discord feed of mine screamed suddenly: "Holy ****ing **** that was amazing"

SB Grading would be Mining B-, Ship building C-, Infantry combat B+, Ship Combat A++ can not be improved upon until capital ships are made more viable.

2 hours ago, Revelcro said:

During a pvp event 2 weeks ago I lost my fighter ship at one point, my ship exploded around me and my chair flew out of the ship with me attached as explosions and debris went in all directions.  I got out of my chair and pulled out my grenade launcher and started firing in anger at the ships engaging each other all around me.

*FOOM* Miss

*FOOM* Miss

*FOOM* MASSIVE EXPLOSION as the ship flying past me turned into confetti from the grenade I lobbed into the cockpit connects.  I stared dumbfounded at the screen...Poor bastard didnt know what hit him

One of the people watching the discord feed of mine screamed suddenly: "Holy ****ing **** that was amazing"

SB Grading would be Mining B-, Ship building C-, Infantry combat B+, Ship Combat A++ can not be improved upon until capital ships are made more viable.

Why aren't capital ships viable?

2 hours ago, Revelcro said:

What would an A/A+ be in Mining, Ship Building and Infantry combat? Why is ship building a C-? Sounds like it's not the game for me since I consider DU's ship building A+ at least, and that's practically 99% of what I do in the game at the moment.