player has high level AR interface script stolen, ransom has been offered.

ELX987

17 minutes ago, Atmosph3rik said:

Well now i'm just confused.  Was the ship docked to another construct, or was it heading into PVP space?

It was heading to somewhere and got tilted by gravity from what I know.

Was the construct that it was docked to yours?  Did that construct end up outside the safe zone?

No, there was no construct that belongs to me or my org or any of the involved UNTIL it got to PVP space. Then we used our construct to blow it up.

If it wasn't in motion, why would gravity pull it outside of the safe zone?

It had "hidden speed" think what happens when you logoff and your ship has speed. It will stop until some avatar steps on it. Then it will resume your old speed -5%

In terms of this being a functional, playable game, you don't see any problems here?

The mechanic of the speed getting to 0 and then back when someone is on board is VERY VERY confusing(worst part of 0.23 imho) but that's what we have and we try to work with it.

The saddest part is what did the thief even gain? A few elements? a bit of voxel substance? Absolutely nothing of real value to the thief and the owner of the ship lost something of real value that cannot perhaps be replaced.

Would anyone who thinks this theft is fair play like to also clarify what the actual point of taking it could be other than pissing someone off?

2 hours ago, XKentX said:

Can someone confirm that this script is actually a community one ?

Is it open source one that will be available for free like dimencia hud ?

As far I know and talked with Elias, it was his intent from start -- to make it open source.

Some clarification regarding the script:

We first thought it was some "for profit" project, like that autopilot that is being sold for 10mil a pop and we thought we got a source of it. Pirates know about Rum and yarrrr not that much about AR.

I have talked to Ellas and it seems this is an "open source" and free project that is going to be released to the community so it's "for the greater good" of everyone.

We have a rule in Anarchy that everyone decides on his own what to do with the loot he got.

After communicating this information(that script is free for all when finished) to my Anarchy folks we decided to give the script back to the owner.

Due to the script being kinda unique (it contains some special characters or something so you can't just copy/paste it) we are currently figuring out how we can give it back.

nq sucks at making a game with rules so they invent them on the fly calling them intended and and they cant even enforce them coz they suck at that too...

you couldn't make this shit up ?

1 hour ago, FuriousPuppy said:

Q1- how did you find him? stream snipe or are you just constantly hopping from ship to ship in safe zone?

We do hop from ship to ship in safe zone. DU has so much to offer to PVP you know...

Q2- Why are you dropping characters on constructs that dont belong to you? locking them in the pipe later? 

Yea, we do that too if the target ship is very juicy.

Q3- why the ransom? I understand you wanna be paid for your efforts but 300 mill for a script is goofy. 

I am SL of Anarchy and almost the only guy that speaks English(it's a Russian org). I was not even there. The price is set by the guy that actually got it.

Q4- when it picked up speed again you could hop off and let the conceal kick back in stopping it from going into pvp space, you had the option to not kill it so I wouldnt act like it was a random event of some kind it was 100% intentional. Why didnt you hop off?

Why would I hop off ? I find a ship, it is heading to PVP space(as that's what trajectory ship owner has gave it). I sit there and wait for it to get there + my friends can track it by locking me...

Sometimes it hits a planet or something but if you have experience you can predict it in advance and not waste time.

1 hour ago, EasternGamer said:

Well, I guess I painted a house with a toothbrush.

While not the same as Elias' script, I made my own and just published the incomplete version in the lua chat. I didn't use any outside editors at all.

In that case I would strongly suggest you use the autoconf system (%GAMEFOLDER%\Game\data\lua\autoconf) and store the script as a .conf file there next time.

Look at the default scripts in ..\lua\default for examples on the syntax. The advantages are.. many..

8 minutes ago, CptLoRes said:

In that case I would strongly suggest you use the autoconf system (%GAMEFOLDER%\Game\data\lua\autoconf) and store the script as a .conf file there next time.

Look at the default scripts in ..\lua\default for examples on the syntax. The advantages are.. many..

The game crashes the moment I try export the lua. But that's fine. I can copy and paste the code however I like. I just chose not to use outside editors because I never need to use them.

I'm like this meme
Math is math! - Album on Imgur
Replace Math with "An editor"
:P

What a messy post.

No idea what happened or if it was an exploid or not

But that doesnt even matter.  There is not a single person who exploided DU who has been banned. And if this time is the first time then Please, read back and ban all others and also all Known goldsellers.

But as said before, NQ probably wont do anything, whatever happened.

market6.png

As the script is supposed to be open source but I can't copy/paste it (so I can't upload it to github etc) due to "special characters" or whatever - we only figured out this way of sharing it.

Ship that had the script was not DRMed so we did blueprints of it. 100k so people don't trollbuy it (if they do, ok, making a blueprint is cheaper)

Anyone who wants it can get it but from what we see it was not complete and it's practically useless to anyone other than the author.

District market 6

9 hours ago, ELX987 said:

Elias's script was described as an Augmented Reality GUI that was made in Lua, the script was the only of its kind in the game at the moment and his only copy was on the cockpit of the stolen ship.

I'm sorry but I must call BS on that being the only copy of the script. If Elias, who has been around for quite a while, did not have a copy locally that is entirely on him. Also, if the control element that held the code war not DRM locked, then again, there is only one person who is to blame for that. So honestly, nothing much to see here. The only thing is the accusation of someone using an exploit which can only be proven by logging on the side of NQ..

There is only one way to resolve this, log a ticket and hope NQ has their act together with regards to records by now.. But I expect a "sorry to hear but here is nothing we can do" in a few weeks, as the only time NQ can do anything in these instances is if someone partially dismantles a market construct.

9 hours ago, XKentX said:

market6.png

As the script is supposed to be open source but I can't copy/paste it (so I can't upload it to github etc) due to "special characters" or whatever - we only figured out this way of sharing it.

Ship that had the script was not DRMed so we did blueprints of it. 100k so people don't trollbuy it (if they do, ok, making a blueprint is cheaper)

Anyone who wants it can get it but from what we see it was not complete and it's practically useless to anyone other than the author.

District market 6

So, basically, you're selling a ship without a hull, in another word, an elements garbage, with a unusable piece of code, for 100K ?

And your argument to justify this is that this script was supposed to be open source ? LOL !!
If peoples are smart enough, they'll just wait until Elias complete his code and distribute it for free to the community under Open Source.
It's a kind of stupid I'd ever seen since ages xD

Selling someone's unreleased -originally to have been open- source code is pretty high on the doucheometer: Especially knowing that they are likely to quit development and deprive the community of a decent, needed script.

Could have just given it back, ffs.

---

I have experienced the reviving physics bullshit introduced in 0.23...

I was overloaded and flying a freighter and crashed into NX Tower at 900kph when it suddenly rezzed in in front of me.

My ship hit the tower and I, sitting at the front of the ship died and ironically respawned on the resnode in that same tower since it was the one closest to me.

I then went downstairs to pick up my repair ship which is always full of scrap and made the mistake of landing on the ship that hit the tower in order to repair it. The ship and me immediately accelerated to 800+ again and I hit the tower in my repair ship and died again. RIP GraXXoR x 2

I believe that's what they used here...  
The pilot got out while the ship was bumping a dynamic core so it was not actually docked. Thus it likely had some vestigial motion... Then he logged off, maybe, and the ship froze.

But the thing is, the next person to touch the ship will trigger it to resume its original velocity minus a bit.

Now if it's in a gravity well. it will start to accelerate and burn up in the atmosphere or on impact with the ground if someone stays within a certain distance of it as it's falling... and bingo: popped core.

That's NQ's "special" game design, working as intended certainly exploiting (with small e) the game mechanics as designed to one's own benefits, but I don't know if that's against the TOS.... seems a fairly legit method of heisting a ship, if you ask me.

Only land your ship on a static/space core and if in deep space and you cannot make it in time to anywhere secure, make sure your ship is at an absolute DEAD STOP (cruise control set to zero is good) before logging off. if you're near a planet, you will just have to hope that nobody spots your ship, because as soon as anyone touches it, it will start to fall towards the planet and get destroyed anyway.

A separate ruse, but fun:

Be wary of ships that actually look like part of the surroundings, for example, a dynamic construct looking like a small ship sitting on a landing pad but the landing pad is actually part of the construct and the "ship" part is hiding an L dynamic core...

Before they changed the docking procedures, I made “a ship that looked like a shuttle parked on the market place landing pad,“ placed it carefully to align with the MP voxels.  But the whole landing pad was part of the ship. So if you landed on the "landing pad"  in a M or smaller core ship, you could be carried away.
When I needed to fly it, I just added wings onto the edges of the platform and strapped some L atmos and a couple of hovers and a brake and bingo: heistotron.

Sucks if an L core pins you down tho...

Because I'm not evil, two small ships landed on it at MP6 (back in the days when people still played DU) and I just flew it to MP7 and deleted the "landing pad" voxels, leaving their ships floating a voxel or two above the platform and my ship sitting innocuously next to it. I also just gave my ship a quick colour change to polish off the ruse.

The ships were gone the next day, so presumably, they came and picked them up...  likey very confused about how it got there...

If either was one of your ships, please accept my apologies for my impish actions.

I don't think this works any more, though... But you could still prevent a ship landing on a legitimate platform using this method and residual velocity to whisk it away.

4 minutes ago, GraXXoR said:

That's NQ's "special" game design, working as intended certainly exploiting (with small e) the game mechanics as designed to one's own benefits, but I don't know if that's against the TOS.... seems a fairly legit method of heisting a ship, if you ask me.

That's why I think that  NQ will do something for Elias as they are well aware of that issue with their "game mecanic".

11 minutes ago, AlexRingess said:

That's why I think that  NQ will do something for Elias as they are well aware of that issue with their "game mecanic".

its feature

Release Notes - Beta 1 r0.23
Gameplay Balancing/Changes
Constructs remain frozen in the air after being released with the maneuver tool ONLY if the player is standing on a planet or static/space construct.

5 minutes ago, Aleksandr said:

its feature

Release Notes - Beta 1 r0.23
Gameplay Balancing/Changes
Constructs remain frozen in the air after being released with the maneuver tool ONLY if the player is standing on a planet or static/space construct.

A feature that isn't well done. And NQ knows that. That's why i'm pretty sure that NQ will do something for Elias. Because they know that this feature isn't working exactly as intended. 

4 minutes ago, AlexRingess said:

A feature that isn't well done. And NQ knows that. That's why i'm pretty sure that NQ will do something for Elias. Because they know that this feature isn't working exactly as intended. 

job offer? )))

Dual Universe is the first Metaverse: a common, shared virtual world, controlled by the players.

(c) https://www.dualuniverse.game/

On 4/2/2021 at 6:26 AM, XKentX said:

After communicating this information(that script is free for all when finished) to my Anarchy folks we decided to give the script back to the owner.

You only have their word it’s going to be released Open Source once complete not sold for profit.

rather than returning it to them directly, post it on one of the open source discord’s and give them the link to the post.

therefore you know it’s going open, they get their code back, AND now there is a copy in case they lose it again

Edited by CoyoteNZ
Typo

1 hour ago, CoyoteNZ said:

You only have their word it’s going to be released Open Source once complete not sold for profit.

rather than returning it to them directly, post it on one of the open source discord’s and give them the link to the post.

therefore you know it’s going open, they get their code back, AND now there is a copy in case they lose it again

1) From what I know of him, Elias seems to be a fairly stand-up sort of guy. I don't see a reason for him to lie about something like that.

2) This is an alpha (yeah, I know they call it a beta), so we should be focussed on testing and bug reports and keep the childish, willie waving in-game, Eve-wannabe politics until the game is a bit more feature complete. 

3) Causing unnecessary grief to others for no real personal gain is a super twatty thing to do.

Not sure if you read the thread, though. The script has been doctored so you can't simply copy and paste it. Apparently it uses a bug whereby certain characters embedded in the script prevent that. (crash the client?)
So maybe they would have to screenshot it or something. Not sure.

pro tip: Elias should have just used links to local files stored in his game's Lua subfolder on his own hard disk, which is the ultimate in game theft protection.