player has high level AR interface script stolen, ransom has been offered.

ELX987

Screenshot_354.png

sawafa stating his piracy

Screenshot_355.png

elias's "i quit" message

Screenshot_356.png

Kurock warns Sawafa his actions are against TOS

Elias's script was described as an Augmented Reality GUI that was made in Lua, the script was the only of its kind in the game at the moment and his only copy was on the cockpit of the stolen ship.

the ship was stolen via a known exploit, it is unclear which exploit it was, it is highly suggested players do not attempt to recreate this exploit for any reason

NQ has not made a statement at this time

xKentx, an aggressor in this case, has clarified this situation in his eyes as follows: 

"Elias told it was "docked to station". Some assumed it was a legit station. The station was in fact another dynamic core. NOT A STATIC CORE.

What happened:

1) He left his ships in space not docked to any statics

2) One of our guys jumped on top of it with his avatar and the ship resumed speed augmented by gravity

3) They waited for it to get out of safe zone (the gravity tiled the trajectory a bit)

4) They blew the ship up and cored it

5) Some guy comes and starts accusing of exploiting and talking about some code etc."

.why would he have only one copy of his script, and in a live game on an in game console? while i sympathise with the bug induced heist, as a former dev, I find it very hard to believe in the extreme that that was his only copy of the script...

no dev would ever put in significant effort into a project and not have at least a single backup.

Just now, GraXXoR said:

.why would he have only one copy? while i sympathise with the bug induced heist, as a former dev I find it very hard to believe that was his only copy of the script...

thats what he said, apparently special characters were used in the script and it couldnt be extracted normally

not sure

that's bizarre and sad, too... if right click copy lua config to clipboard doesn't work with his script then he would need to install it by manually typing the script into every PB that needs it. that seems like a lot of trouble to go to...

but as a major contributor, that's absolutely his prerogative. abusing bugs to hijack a ship is just sad.

i had a german player heist a ship of mine using a since quashed bug.. he wanted a meeeeelion credits or he would deconstruct it and steal the container contents.... kinda annoying but heyho

To anybody wondering:

Ellas told it was "docked to station". Some assumed it was a legit station. The station was in fact another dynamic core. NOT A STATIC CORE.

What happened:

2) One of our guys jumped on top of it with his avatar and the ship resumed speed augmented by gravity

3) They waited for it to get out of safe zone (the gravity tiled the trajectory a bit)

5) Some guy comes and starts accusing of exploiting and talking about some code etc.

1 minute ago, EasternGamer said:

Well, I think those "special characters"  would be removed once it was completel.

you never know if it was intentional, its just sad to see this happen, my full condolences to elias right now, sucks to have your thunder plucked from ya

1 minute ago, XKentX said:

To anybody wondering:

Ellas told it was "docked to station". Some assumed it was a legit station. The station was in fact another dynamic core. NOT A STATIC CORE.

What happened:

5) Some guy comes and starts accusing of exploiting and talking about some code etc.

i will add this as your groups defense

Yeah exploit or not, we're not supposed to be able to "lose information" as stated by JC many times.

Wish NQ was more specific about exploits, there are too many scenarios that are on the line, they need a simple clear cut policy about the safe zone.

11 minutes ago, XKentX said:

Can someone confirm that this script is actually a community one ?

Is it open source one that will be available for free like dimencia hud ?

It would have been open source apparently if he had time to finish it.

No one wants to play a game where you don't know where it's safe to leave your stuff, and where it's not.

That's not risk.  It's just bad design.

A player left their ship somewhere that they were told it would be completely safe, and another player exploited a bug, in a new system designed to stop people from maneuvering their ships into space, and moved the ship, without the owner's permission, which is not supposed to be possible, at all.

The thief knew that there is not supposed to be any way to move another players ship outside the safe zone without their permission.  

Should be a simple decision for NQ

If only we had a well written and understandable eula and tos regarding all those things......but That's obviously not what NQ wants gor whatever reason 

As long as NQ doesn't do amything about it (clarifying via eula update) it's fair game to me

1 minute ago, Lethys said:

If only we had a well written and understandable eula and tos regarding all those things......but That's obviously not what NQ wants gor whatever reason 

As long as NQ doesn't do amything about it (clarifying via eula update) it's fair game to me

They already addressed this issue though.  Technically they only mentioned "parenting" a ship to move it outside the safezone without the owner's permission.

But you don't expect NQ to predict every possible exploit and include it in the EULA do you?

It's pretty obvious that if figuring out one way to move a players ship outside the safezone to destory it, is against the rules, then figuring out another way to do the same thing, would also be against the rules.

I agree, in general NQ should be clearer about this kind of stuff.

But this situation is crystal clear.

3 minutes ago, Atmosph3rik said:

They already addressed this issue though.  Technically they only mentioned "parenting" a ship to move it outside the safezone without the owner's permission.

There was no "parenting" involved.

Say you are flying from madis to alioth at 30km and do alt+f4. I come to your ship. According to JC: if you see it and it moves, it continues to move.

Now they have a limitation(or a bug) that you don't start calculating physics of the ship you see until you jump on it.

If you jump on it, it continues to fly as it should and will eventually leave the safezone.

What is an exploit here ?

You left a ship that was heading to PVP space, it got to PVP space and got blown up.

If you dock it to space station(real one built on space core, not one that looks like space station but is in fact a dynamic core) it will stay there and not move.

What's the problem?

1 hour ago, GraXXoR said:

.why would he have only one copy of his script, and in a live game on an in game console? while i sympathise with the bug induced heist, as a former dev, I find it very hard to believe in the extreme that that was his only copy of the script...

no dev would ever put in significant effort into a project and not have at least a single backup.

Yeah, that's a big nope.. Nobody with the skill set to make a one of a kind "Augmented Reality GUI" whatever would make that script using the built in LUA editor only, never ever having versions of the script exist outside the game and/or in multiple cores. Making a complex script using the built in LUA editor in DU, is like painting a house with a toothbrush. Technically possible, but wrong tool for the job.

16 minutes ago, Atmosph3rik said:

But you don't expect NQ to predict every possible exploit and include it in the EULA do you?

It's pretty obvious that if figuring out one way to move a players ship outside the safezone to destory it, is against the rules, then figuring out another way to do the same thing, would also be against the rules.

I agree, in general NQ should be clearer about this kind of stuff.

But this situation is crystal clear.

10 minutes ago, XKentX said:

Say you are flying from madis to alioth at 30km and do alt+f4. I come to your ship. According to JC: if you see it and it moves, it continues to move.

Now they have a limitation(or a bug) that you don't start calculating physics of the ship you see until you jump on it.

If you jump on it, it continues to fly as it should and will eventually leave the safezone.

You left a ship that was heading to PVP space, it got to PVP space and got blown up.

If you dock it to space station(real one built on space core, not one that looks like space station but is in fact a dynamic core) it will stay there and not move.

What's the problem?

So yeah, I expect them to change eula accordingly 

31 minutes ago, XKentX said:

What's the problem?

Well now i'm just confused.  Was the ship docked to another construct, or was it heading into PVP space?

Was the construct that it was docked to yours?  Did that construct end up outside the safe zone?

If it wasn't in motion, why would gravity pull it outside of the safe zone?

In terms of this being a functional, playable game, you don't see any problems here?

36 minutes ago, CptLoRes said:

Yeah, that's a big nope.. Nobody with the skill set to make a one of a kind "Augmented Reality GUI" whatever would make that script using the built in LUA editor only, never ever having versions of the script exist outside the game and/or in multiple cores. Making a complex script using the built in LUA editor in DU, is like painting a house with a toothbrush. Technically possible, but wrong tool for the job.

Well, I guess I painted a house with a toothbrush.

While not the same as Elias' script, I made my own and just published the incomplete version in the lua chat. I didn't use any outside editors at all.