500 Mill Theft. WATCHOUT FOR THIS GUY

Reznik

NAMES OF ALL HIS ACCOUNTS.

TRIVEX. TRIMAR. LANKYZ. LANKY7369.  

These are the ones that I know of.

He ripped off his business partner Mar, the guy who taught him how to play.

I lost all my ship parts, all our schematics and the majority of our industry.  He deleted his discord and all contacts. This guy talked highly of Mar. 

Mar had been out of the game for a month or two due to real life issues. 

I talked to this man almost every day. He suddenly will change on you for no reason. He was alone and had no one to play with so we let him join. He was bringing a lot to the table (with alts and talents and a t1 parts factory). We decided to trust him. There was no inclination of this. This was I am sure a spur of the moment decision made by a greedy coward. 

We are a small organization of 2-3 people. We are nice guys. I frequently help out new players, ask around.

This guy flies around in a shitty blue box because he cant do voxels. His industry setups are garbage as well. 

We are all incredibly stunned. Just yesterday we were chatting friendly on discord he seemed very happy. I was gone for 2 days because of work and when I came back I guess he snapped or something.

We all have a reputation. Stealing in real life is frowned upon.  A video game doesnt make it any more acceptable to do something like this when you get stabbed in the back for reaching out to help someone.  

BLACK LIST THIS GUY PLEASE I BEG OF YOU. 

Sincerely, 

Taras Reznik -

Feli Circuit Racetrack Owner, Reznik Mining Company Head Foreman, Chair of Helios Syndicate Board of Directors. 

Emergent gameplay.

but seriously, he is scum.

There is likely never going to be a solution to this since anyone can just palm off their stuff to another alt and disappear and keep their "real" alt as a whistle-clean dogooder.

Some on here will say, it's just a game, it isn't real. Doesn't count for anything on here.

Personally, I  disagree.

Back in the day, we played a game called Vampire the Masquerade and there was a lot of politics and backstabbing... and it was understood and we laughed about it afterwards... we were responsible for doing in each other's characters multiple times and much fun was had. But then, we had our real friendship beyond the game as our backup. we were mates, buddies and only a few days of time was undone upon the demise of the character... just reroll...

However,  modern games require a LOT more effort and commitment than those simple tabletop RPGs and as we get older, our time becomes more and more precious... At some point we have to realise that the time, effort and in cases of subscriptions, even money we put in to it is at a real risk of being stolen, destroyed or in the case of a game winding down, disappearing. But that is standard and par for the course and adds to the risk factor and excitement.

Things start to get dicey when the social factors of online chat come into play.
Especially now that so much of our lives are online, what with COVID etc... some now spend more time in "cyberspace" than in "meatspace"...  and we start to blur the lines between virtual and real-life.  We make friends on discord and can easily spend more time with them and talk more deeply than "real friends" or people we knew as kids who have spread out all over the world and may have very different lifestyles and ideas of fun.

Thus many of us have replaced those friends with online pals and buddies whom we gang up with and go on raids with, get to know and enjoy the company of... even though we have never met. Calling this "not real" is clearly untrue. In as much as I could call your bank account "not real" (since it's likely a fiat currency and not backed up by gold or anything) and be equally incorrect.

When one of those pulls a stunt like that, it's natural that it's going to hurt if only one party assumed the person was genuinely interested in their friendship rather than just ingratiating themself with a legate of a wealthy faction.

We just have to add this to the list of things to protect ourselves from... likely at the expense of being able to trust others.

For our org, we have basically rejected all new requests for legates, no matter how outstanding they appear as candidates and have seen our core numbers dwindle down to the original members who started the org back in 2018...

All of our materials and blueprints are available via dispenser only. zero access to resources to anyone outside of us.
Also, just in case, we are all superlegates of our own sub org and keep very little in the central org so that RDMS gaffes are not likely to result in total losses.

That's how little trust we have in humanity left.... LOL.

This game is a hard mistress.

6 hours ago, Reznik said:

I talked to this man almost every day. He suddenly will change on you for no reason. He was alone and had no one to play with so we let him join. He was bringing a lot to the table (with alts and talents and a t1 parts factory). We decided to trust him. There was no inclination of this. This was I am sure a spur of the moment decision made by a greedy coward. 

This guy flies around in a shitty blue box because he cant do voxels. His industry setups are garbage as well. 

That doesn't make sense. He brought a lot to the table but he was shit?  Harsh, but it just sounds like a simple lack of sufficient judgement.

29 minutes ago, Lethys said:

Part of the game, nothing wrong there. Learn to avoid it and you're gucci.

Usualy its same scenario here, some "instantly super-friendly" mucker appears, eager to talk and help (usualy quite superficial, low effort way, pretending be noob or stupid, to not waste too much energy) and joins some obsure micro org with naive leadership. Dudes in such low tier orgs are always so starved on rectuits, that accept anyone and kiss him in ass all the way (giving all rights to show how they love him), asking zero of questions to themeselves why guy even here, what is his agenda...

Almost same story everytime.

I personaly not fan of eve-style shit in games (too softhearted myself to see such drama and horrors), but... honestly its often punishment (if cruel) for lack of social skills from victims. Most of scammers are not super smart/talented people (some are plain stupid) and giving endless signals for attentive observer about their crap.

4 hours ago, Devian said:

That's awful! He needs to be hunted down mercilessly and brought to justice!

Have you contacted the Galactic Police Department?

It seems that you robbed the Empire? xD

40 minutes ago, Bazzy_505 said:

It's the old story: droid meets droid, droid becomes chameleon, droid loses chameleon, chameleon turns into blob, droid gets blob back again, blob meets blob, blob goes off with blob and droid loses blob, chameleon and droid. How many times have we heard that story?

Best line from the entire show! I even read it in Kryten's voice...

It is permitted to compile all sentences into a single post if you should choose such a method of communicating. 

Sucks that you guys got shafted. Do you need some donations towards rebuilding? I'd be happy to chip in.

always thought "stealing" in this game isn't so much "emergent" as annoying -- and not at all a good concept in terms of game design.

Reward is supposed to be balanced with risk -- that's a really basic concept.

Every story about theft in DU...it's just abusing trust and taking shit with zero risk and no method to retaliate. It's never some clever heist. There should be more concrete systems in place if theft is supposed to be an actual game concept.

Funny how NQ cares about industry being too strong, but theft where you can rob an org blind with 100% impunity...? Totally fine. 

They don't mean "emergent", they mean "we're too lazy to implement real systems that would make theft interesting and balanced". 

For a game that puts such a big emphasis on orgs, it sure does disincentivize trust. 

18 minutes ago, ShippyLongstalking said:

always thought "stealing" in this game isn't so much "emergent" as annoying -- and not at all a good concept in terms of game design.

Reward is supposed to be balanced with risk -- that's a really basic concept.

Every story about theft in DU...it's just abusing trust and taking shit with zero risk and no method to retaliate. It's never some clever heist. There should be more concrete systems in place if theft is supposed to be an actual game concept.

Funny how NQ cares about industry being too strong, but theft where you can rob an org blind with 100% impunity...? Totally fine. 

They don't mean "emergent", they mean "we're too lazy to implement real systems that would make theft interesting and balanced". 

For a game that puts such a big emphasis on orgs, it sure does disincentivize trust. 

I know right. What if we didnt just have magic linked container range that extends miles, and a different way RDMS was implemented.  And had stuff like code locks, safes, etc that you had to use for containers, or whatever fun mechanics u can think of.  And like you could break into containers still, but would take time/skills.  Could also invest in alarms of some sorts for them, and then actually had avatar pvp so if you see someone fuckin around could get a shotgunlaser to the face.  IDK anything that would be more than just park my hauler with 50XL containers 2km away and "yoink" and then you have 0 way to retaliate.  But then again that would require NQ to actually think before they faceroll on their keyboard into the database.