Question. How is damage translated from impact?

IndigaterJones

I'd like to stop dieing every time my nose bumps into something.  Built a Star Wars CR-90.  Used white aluminum pattern for skin.  Everytime I bump into something the entire complement of elements to include the pilot seat are destroyed.  I'd like to know how damage in the game is transfered from voxel to element.  This is with a large core so it's a big ship.  In smaller ships this does not happen.  The Captain Obvious answer is to stop running into stuff.  Not the best pilot so that's not going happen.  Lol. If I know how damage is transfered I can hopefully engineer a solution.  Thanks in advance.

the more mass your craft has the more inertia you carry into a collision, hence why your L core ship causes this but not the smaller ones. As far as I know there is an algorithm that computes damage and distributes it to the elements in some form of sequence. But I am not sure exactly how. It does seem to be important the location of the elements in relation to the impact point. Put your pilot seat at the further point away from where you normally impact and see if it makes a difference.

1 hour ago, Burble said:

the more mass your craft has the more inertia you carry into a collision, hence why your L core ship causes this but not the smaller ones. As far as I know there is an algorithm that computes damage and distributes it to the elements in some form of sequence. But I am not sure exactly how. It does seem to be important the location of the elements in relation to the impact point. Put your pilot seat at the further point away from where you normally impact and see if it makes a difference.

It does make a difference.... I build exceedingly long and thin ships that max out the entire length of a build cubes. I used to put the pilot seat at the front for good visibility (I didn't believe in 3rd person piloting) and a tiny bump would destroy the command seat and send me to the res node that sat at the back of the ship.
In the end I just gave up and put the pilot seat further back and flew 3rd person. much less hassle. now collisions just damage a few elements up front. 
Voxels don't seem to absorb any damage, though... if anything, they add to the weight and make damage worse.

It is a really rather disappointingly childish and rudimentary system in place, currently (by currently, I mean for the last three years).

56 minutes ago, IndigaterJones said:

Thank you for the replies.  I was thinking along the lines of size, inertia vs impact damage.  You've confirmed that.  Disappointing that the voxels don't absorb more damage.  Hopefully this is down the line.

If voxels were absorbing damage you'd have to rebuild your ship everytime you crash, are you sure you're ok with that? :V

19 minutes ago, Fra119 said:

If voxels were absorbing damage you'd have to rebuild your ship everytime you crash, are you sure you're ok with that? :V

the repair tool for voxels that is supposedly coming when/if they implement proper damage should allow you to repair your voxels to the previous snapshot as easily as repairing elements.

Asking whether someone would be ok with the game actually working as intended is... curious

The only way to divert collision damage away from elements atm, is distance from the crash point. So you have to make a rather large sacrificial buffer with voxels only at the front.  Typically a spear if you want to save voxels and game the game. Which I personally have no problem doing, since the game has such rudimentary mechanics for dealing with designs in general.

Voxels only absorb pvp damage.

Tips on how to upgrade any non pvp ship:

1) check stats

2) remove all voxels

3) check stats again and see that they have improved

4) .....

5) profit

This makes the whole point of all the voxels a pure RP thing and nothing more.

5 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

The only way to divert collision damage away from elements atm, is distance from the crash point. So you have to make a rather large sacrificial buffer with voxels only at the front.  Typically a spear if you want to save voxels and game the game. Which I personally have no problem doing, since the game has such rudimentary mechanics for dealing with designs in general.

As the ship is a Star Wars CR-90 I'm loath to move the pilot seat back.  I will move the res station back though.  I'll just have to learn to be a better pilot.