no fun performancewise - beggars believe - single digit fps, 1 minute pop in, etc

realMod

Hello,

after a couple of months of absence I have logged into the latest beta:

is the performance really this bad, lets say around Alioth / the Districts?

Where does  the underlying technology kick in to prevent exactly this - single shard und ramping up the server power, etc?

30 minutes ago, realMod said:

Hello,

after a couple of months of absence I have logged into the latest beta:

is the performance really this bad, lets say around Alioth / the Districts?

Where does  the underlying technology kick in to prevent exactly this - single shard und ramping up the server power, etc?

Hey, so there are good and not so good news. 

Serverwise, NQ did make a lot of improvements in terms of scaling. You can expect way fewer 'Pending Operation' errors while mining/building, however PVP is still not as fluent as it could be, even though it shows some improvement since Beta started. 

FPS performance around markets/crowded areas is still bad, especially if your machine is running something below Intel 10th gen i5/i7  CPU / lower than 16 GB of RAM. NQ did make some improvements to that, like making more landing areas, splitting the markets from the starting location, but there are a lot of abandoned constructs near the markets, which dramatically slows the performance. From what NQ shared, they are working on some solution to clear abandoned building/ships but we are yet to hear more details on that.

If you are struggling with FPS, there are a few guides on what you can do to improve your performance. You can check out some details here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgUJGceVPnk&ab_channel=ZenithGamingCompany

Personally, I am running an overclocked intel i9 9900k with 32GB of RAM and GTX 2080 and the game runs quite well for me, even around markets. If you haven't subscribed for Beta and are still considering, I suggest to list your PC specs in the forums to check if someone can give you their feedback on what performance you can expect.

I'd agree with Yamamoto here. Unless we know your hardware spec it will be hard to say anything reasonable about performance.

So, please share yourspecs; desktop/laptop, CPU, GPU, amount of memory, running from SSD/HDD/NVMe, monitor resolution and wired or wireless internet.

Hello  @Yamamoto and @blazemonger,

cheers for your fast reply and suggestions.

I have checked the video link.

I have attached my settings after the thread change.

Shadows had already been set to "low".

PC system spec

• Ryzen 5 3600 stock clock
  • GTX 1070 8 GByte VRAM @4K always at 100% maxed out (tried Full HD as well) > edit: 4K averages at 24 fps (nothing around my avatar but a few constructs)
    • latest NVIDIA GPU drivers
    • fps counter via NVIDIA overlay
  • 1TByte NVME SSD
  • 32 MBit wired internet connection
  • 48 GByte RAM

I am thinking of tweaking the V-Sync option as well.

What is most annoying besides the lag are the pop-in's:

1. Traveling from place A (own tile, 1 construct, 2 ships) to B (district) > about 1 Minute at least before all items are completely visible. The internet connection is at 100% utilization.
  2. Traveling from place B back to A, distance about 30 KM > pop-in takes ages again. No caching?

RAM usage increases above 24 GBytes.

Screenshot.png

I concur it runs terrible in markets, Busy locations.  Not sure how they'll do this 'Civ build' thing.

Btw I have an I7 10th Gen, 16GB ran 1T SSD and a 2060 RTX

I just wish they avoided pretty voxels which has actually made things even more laggy!

Maybe some people can share their own feedback but from what I've heard, the game does not run very well on AMD CPUs right now as single core performance + clock speed seems to matter more than the number of cores. I believe this is the biggest bottleneck in your system right now. 

I have slower network speed and don't have any issues, even after 0.24, which is apparently causing high network load for some people. 

Obviously it's not worth it to upgrade your PC for this game only. Depending on where you live it might be viable to use some cloud gaming service such as Shadow PC (I am not 100% sure if the game can run through Shadow PC at the moment though)

Unfortunately, these are all the suggestions I can give. It's important also to note that the game is being actively developed (for now) and performance should improve over time. I think it's worth it at least to have a character that has a lot of queued up talents for training, if you decide to play in the future.

7 hours ago, Yamamoto said:

Maybe some people can share their own feedback but from what I've heard, the game does not run very well on AMD CPUs right now as single core performance + clock speed seems to matter more than the number of cores. I believe this is the biggest bottleneck in your system right now. 

I have slower network speed and don't have any issues, even after 0.24, which is apparently causing high network load for some people. 

Obviously it's not worth it to upgrade your PC for this game only. Depending on where you live it might be viable to use some cloud gaming service such as Shadow PC (I am not 100% sure if the game can run through Shadow PC at the moment though)

Unfortunately, these are all the suggestions I can give. It's important also to note that the game is being actively developed (for now) and performance should improve over time. I think it's worth it at least to have a character that has a lot of queued up talents for training, if you decide to play in the future.

Mh I'm on a 5600x (nvme, 1070 and 32gb ram) and it runs almost fine. I say "almost" because on average I'm around 70/80 fps, down to ~15 when flying in atmo with my M hauler. That's why I'm begging for bigger airfoils/engines, it's the amount of atmospheric elements needed to fly that kills my framerate.

General notice:

on the good side I want this to work fine in the end.

When I started in DU there were so many positive ideas and experiences.

• the community I got in touch with being the most positive part
  • the overall good working scope for a fresh beta version coming out of alpha - so many things were already included and have mostly been intuitive for me to use
  • the promise of a sandbox - voxels, Lua, machines - NQ is giving the players the tools, then it`s up to the community
  • custom built Space elevators !
  • single shard universe / the technical background & system to avoid performance issues that are actually - at least for me - currently happening -> fail in that regard at the moment

For me the most important thing to keep in mind is:

This is a multiplayer game at heart.

Solo player will not have that much fun, imho.

4 hours ago, realMod said:

this is what I was interested in when I first heard of DU:

I'd say it improved pretty dramatically both visually and performance-wise compared to that pre-alpha video.

The beta trailer did what every game trailer, in my opinion, will always do: glamorize everything.
I take all trailers with a grain of salt. Especially the action-packed stuff. Anything that looks "movie-like" is probably just fiction. No one's going around and walking about a small-sized factory with 10 other people. It's just unnecessary usage of time.
Also, considering the scale of the game, even if you have 20,000 players connected at once, it wouldn't be like you would see people on every single planet and every single market you might go to. I suspect for that to happen, you'd need more like 100,000. Well, that's just my two cents.

12 hours ago, realMod said:

For me the most important thing to keep in mind is:

This is a multiplayer game at heart.

Solo player will not have that much fun, imho.

Finally, someone seems to get it. xD
Yes, it's a multiplayer game.

11 hours ago, Lethys said:

7700k, 64gb, 2070, ssd, 50mbit internet....doesnt run well, huge fps drops in markets and pvp, unplayable when more than 10 constructs/ppl are around

Alone, in space or on a planet it's fine. But not really what this game is about 

You keep making sure again and again to tell us that you deleted this game months ago and that you don’t even play the game because it’s beneath you and the community is beneath you. 

so how would you know what the game plays like right now?

Lol. 

i have two PCs since I like to multibox.

one is a recent Ryzen 3900 32Gb DDR4 NVME RTX3080 build.  @1440P
the old pc is a 4700k 32GB DDR3 Dual SATA SSD GTX1080Ti build @ 1200P

both were fine and ran fairly smoothly, often pegging at 60fps once away from market places until 0.24.  

Since then the game starts to chug a few hours after server resets and I’ve lost 10 FPS on soon both my computers. 

still playable, just not as smooth as before 0.24

There is definitely something wrong with their cacheing algorithm, though....
Our base on Madis MP3 is multiple hexes across, but if you go to one end, all the elements unload and have to reload before you can use them... this is very annoying when you have a landing platform with no elevators and have to wait for them all to respawn before you can get back up to your ship...
I find that I can reach a hex boundary before the next hex's elements have spawned....

I'm sure there's a technical reason why the cacheing is so bad, and I know full well that coding isn't magic, but seriously, if a 32GB 12 core machine with a RTX3080 can't keep a construct built over about three months by just half a dozen players (less now than before), how the hell are they planning for the sort of builds they showcase in the videos above?

6 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

unknown.png

This is a screenshot I took this Friday after the survey.

For me personally, I see no benefit or added value in what 0.24 is all about. For me, the performance in the alpha was much better than what I have in the beta. And no, I have not changed the settings.

1 minute ago, SirJohn85 said:

unknown.png

This is a screenshot I took this Friday after the survey.

For me personally, I see no benefit or added value in what 0.24 is all about. For me, the performance in the alpha was much better than what I have in the beta. And no, I have not changed the settings.

Looks much like Alioth used to. Haven’t been back there for several months. 

but the materials look worse. Look at the hideous, repetitive patterning on that presumably galv. black iron/alu.  

textures are literally a decade behind current state of the art. 

8 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

You keep making sure again and again to tell us that you deleted this game months ago and that you don’t even play the game because it’s beneath you and the community is beneath you. 

Yes, I don't play this game anymore but I still log in from time to time to see where it's at. And from this I see that it still lags and doesn't play out well as MMO because of low fps 

Never said this community is beneath me, That's just your bias and wanting to Paint me a certain way.

The game looks pretty bad, always has. It can't really get better because performance is always going to be an issue. The game runs bad and there are hardly any players in there, compared to what they say it should be able to handle.

Overall DU is great in promise and low in delivery. The idea behind the game had most block building space fans drooling when first announced. But I think most have realised that the worry about performance etc, at the beginning that we all thought about, is showing itself to be the biggest issue they are going to have and probably, as many players thought at the time, they are not going to win that battle.