High data usage

IndigaterJones

Since the .24 update I'm seeing a very high data usage.  This is not in reference to system or RAM.  Over a six hour play session just short of 3 gigs of data was downloaded.  As an example just one trip to Alioth market 6 was just short of 500 mega from landing to departure.  Multiple trips are a data usage monster.  Is this normal?  I don't remember it being this high.  I can understand player constructs not being stored on the client but are the game markets and such stored and pulled from the client or am I having to download every construct?

Thanks in advance.

IndigaterJones

I have my line monitor on and have also noticed a lot of data being used since 0.24. Often it’s churning 30MB (bytes not bits) per second when I start flying. Crazy. 

im curious what it’s doing to my SSDs. 

This was always the case and the reason I can't really play without lag, or at least start the game for 5min for talents every other month. My maximum is 5-8mb/sec which is always used by DU, constantly. Can't get more bandwidth here, so I guess until they solve that it's a game for 100mbit+ users 

I understand this could be optimization or lack there of in the Beta phase.  It could also be my lack of attention.  The later being more likely.  The .24 just made it more obvious.  Updating to the .24.4 now.  Interested to see the results as well as the fixes.

5 minutes ago, IndigaterJones said:

13 minutes ago, IndigaterJones said:

Lethys, I see this as well when connected to a different network I have.  Are you seeing an increase in your total usage?

when I was afk in DU and just stood around, I couldn't even browse the web. Some bandwidth tool (forgot the name) showed constant 5mb/sec download from DU from some AWS server.

Haven't played nor tested since then tho, so don't know if this persists nowadays.

But I notice a high download from DU when I start it to update my talents

32 minutes ago, Lethys said:

when I was afk in DU and just stood around, I couldn't even browse the web. Some bandwidth tool (forgot the name) showed constant 5mb/sec download from DU from some AWS server.

Haven't played nor tested since then tho, so don't know if this persists nowadays.

But I notice a high download from DU when I start it to update my talents

The AWS server is amazons humongous cloud server system they are using to run the whole simulation. So yeah, it eats bandwidth like no tomorrow. Though the data usage really is huge. Some of this stuff should be optimized and pushed into loaded memory. IMO of course.

7 minutes ago, Haku0814 said:

The AWS server is amazons humongous cloud server system they are using to run the whole simulation. So yeah, it eats bandwidth like no tomorrow. Though the data usage really is huge. Some of this stuff should be optimized and pushed into loaded memory. IMO of course.

that's because of the design of their infrastructure, not due to AWS itself. If they were running their own servers they'd be in the same boat. 

21 minutes ago, NQ-Naerais said:

Thanks for letting us know. The team is looking into this, but if anyone else wants to add any scenarios they've noticed this, please do. 

Support had logs and everything about this since 2019, not a new issue. Support knew 2 years ago already 

You have to download constructs and terrain changes and it's not a small amount of data. It shouldn't stay high usage if you're just sitting in one area, once it is done loading it should stop, which is what happens for me when I measure it, but for slow internets it might essentially be constant.

1 hour ago, NQ-Naerais said:

Thanks for letting us know. The team is looking into this, but if anyone else wants to add any scenarios they've noticed this, please do. 

Just spent 3 hrs playing at my home base and only used 98 MB.  Prior to this I played for 2.5 hrs, went to two markets, 6 twice and 3, and burned up just over a gig.  For most I'm sure this is not surprising.  There's allot of stuff to render.  Just wondering if the I'm having to pull all of the DU constructs, the markets, each time I fly in.  Is the overall DU content resident with the client?

2 minutes ago, IndigaterJones said:

Just wondering if the I'm having to pull all of the DU constructs, the markets, each time I fly in.  Is the overall DU content resident with the client?

Would be a good test to find out. I thought constructs were cached but not sure. Would still have to sync data but shouldn't be nearly as much.

10 minutes ago, Haunty said:

You have to download constructs and terrain changes and it's not a small amount of data. It shouldn't stay high usage if you're just sitting in one area, once it is done loading it should stop, which is what happens for me when I measure it, but for slow internets it might essentially be constant.

If 80mbit is slow then I wish du good luck finding players who can actually enjoy it with no lag lmao.

As long as server lag and loading isn't solved, there wont be the civ building going on

Makes sense you'd have to download player constructs as you fly by.  I just wonder if ever time I visit market 6 I'm downloading both all of the player ships AND the now massive DU constructs.  If so that's a big deal for someone on a metered or prepaid internet account.  Like to think all of the DU stuff would be put on and remain with the client.

13 minutes ago, Aaron Cain said:

That would be funny, if it indeed is with the client then the game is kinda swiss cheese for people who actually want to missbehave and use that system for their own good

How can having the high data DU constructs on the clients computer allow someone to miss behave?  My point is to have these permanent game related constructs already on the client which will make rendering faster as well as save the client download data.  Unless I missed a subtle aspect of the game in your post.

7 hours ago, IndigaterJones said:

How can having the high data DU constructs on the clients computer allow someone to miss behave?  My point is to have these permanent game related constructs already on the client which will make rendering faster as well as save the client download data.  Unless I missed a subtle aspect of the game in your post.

Its the opppsite really atm. I can easily enter bases with my "slow" Internet because all the stuff hasnt loaded yet. Just gotta be fast enough and bam, you're in their base and just wait for stuff to load

14 hours ago, Lethys said:

Support had logs and everything about this since 2019, not a new issue. Support knew 2 years ago already 

This.. The amount of data DU burns is really not normal and it has really only gotten worse.

Oh well.. 9 months for NQ to sort al this out and be ready for "release"

2 hours ago, Lethys said:

Its the opppsite really atm. I can easily enter bases with my "slow" Internet because all the stuff hasnt loaded yet. Just gotta be fast enough and bam, you're in their base and just wait for stuff to load

Ahh.  Makes sense for player bases.  

5 hours ago, Lethys said:

And then... what? You're stuck in someone else's base :v