Am I doing something wrong?

Merlin3000

I find that I am having to wait with nothing to do for long periods of time....   

I'm on the moon sanctuary.  The only thing for me to do in my newly claimed area is to harvest surface resources and mine (haven't been able to find a mine yet - that scanner is another issue).  My inventory is packed full.  I finally figure out how to craft a static block to be able to build a base.  Once that is crafted I find out i don't have the skill to place the block.  I wait another 30 minutes for that to finish.  Now i'm trying to build a small assembly line hoping that will help with the long periods of waiting for items to craft.   There is a lot of waiting.   

Having said all that, should I have done something differently?   

You can do the tutorials at the institutes for talent points to speed things up. If I were starting fresh and trying to speedrun to 10m, I would do all working tutorials then use that money to buy/build a tiny mining ship. Spend talent points on linked range, mining, piloting, core placement and a couple others. Then fill the mining ship, sell ore and upgrade the ship, then repeat to 10m. probably missing something but that's the gist

10 minutes ago, cewing said:

I'm on the moon sanctuary.  The only thing for me to do in my newly claimed area is to harvest surface resources and mine (haven't been able to find a mine yet - that scanner is another issue).  My inventory is packed full.  I finally figure out how to craft a static block to be able to build a base.  Once that is crafted I find out i don't have the skill to place the block.  I wait another 30 minutes for that to finish.  Now i'm trying to build a small assembly line hoping that will help with the long periods of waiting for items to craft.   There is a lot of waiting.   

To craft anything on an assembly line you need to buy a schematic for the specific item you want to craft.  And the schematics are a bit expensive, so unless you plan on crafting a lot of something, it's usually less expensive to purchase the item on the market.

If you're running out of inventory space buying a few Small or Medium sized containers is a good place to start.  The extra small containers hold so little they aren't really worth using.  

The Nanocrafter will also keep running when you're not online.  So you can queue up a bunch of stuff before you log off, and it'll all be done when you get back.

Make sure to queue up a bunch of talents too, because you gain talent points much faster when they are going towards a queued talent.  10x faster i think.

Doing all the tutorials will give you a bunch of talent points and Quanta to spend to get you started too.  And there is a Dispenser unit at every marketplace that will give you a one time batch of 300L of concrete honeycomb voxels to build with.  It's upstairs in the market buildings near the marketplace terminals.

the wait is a feature and this is not a joke. The whole intend of DU is that it takes time to get progress. All new updates are there to make sure it takes even more time to progress.

so your doing perfectly fine. Good job :)

If you want to craft something for yourself - check if it can be crafted in nanopack, if it cannot and requires an assembly you better off buying the built item on the market until you figure stuff out (building stuff in assemblers requires high initial commitment)

Your first aim should be a ship capable of hauling stuff. You can craft most things in nanopack and if not you can buy the remaining on the market. To make quanta, sell ore you mine.

Get off sanctuary asap. Best place to go to is Madis(lots of ore, lower gravity), build a xs base with a respawn point there(resurection node). you will need territory control unit.

Expand from there.

Plan ahead!

Like, build an dynamic xs core to build a ship (if you dont know a design, just build a box with wings).

Everything you mine and harvest (lvl1 ore)can be converted in your nanocrafter.

Buy an S container for your first xs-ship and an M or L for your base

Need wings? Just let your nanocrafter do its work. Even when you log-out, the nanocrafter keeps working, so you can queue like 24hrs until the next day or even more!

The items you produced can be placed on the ship so it wont take up inventory space.

When the ship is finished, you start hauling.

Always keeps your talents running, they must always do something. Its a bit of experimenting and getting to know the tree, but the more you look at it, the more you willl know what talents you need and when to develop them.

If you a new player and want to fly an L- core in the first week or have a big industry running. It will work but not efficient, because of the talents that need to be trained.

So playing at a slow pace isnt that bad....

frankly what works best at start is just buy stuff Or look at the nanocrafter and go over your plot gathering tier 1 ores and at the same time craft stuff for a first small base. that way you will have a small running base in less then 1 hr. If you want it to look good, forget it for now and make the proper stuff to be able to hoard more ores. And sadly on sanctuary picking up surface ores is almost as efficient as mining, so do not bother to do any mining in the first hour.

Aaron,  I've also noticed how inefficient mining is compared to surface gathering.   I've got a small surface for a base constructed and several small storage units now.   Just made two small conveyors.... sadly have a ton of research before i can even use them.  

On 3/20/2021 at 9:10 PM, cewing said:

You don't find mines - you dig them lol. The scanner takes practice, but those of us who have that practice can find a node of the specific ore we want in just a couple of minutes.

6 hours ago, Daphne Jones said:

You don't find mines - you dig them lol. The scanner takes practice, but those of us who have that practice can find a node of the specific ore we want in just a couple of minutes.

Unless you're looking for the tiny leftover from someone who doesn't have enough OCD to clear the entire node :v

• 2 weeks later...