DU crashes on Shadow PC since 0.24

blazemonger

Still think that NQ fixing DU running on Shadow and then looking into striking an inclusion deal with Shadow for all new activations could be good for the game. And since Shadow, its new parent company and NQ are all French, this could be something to be agreed over a good bottle of wine ;)

2 hours ago, blazemonger said:

Still think that NQ fixing DU running on Shadow and then looking into striking an inclusion deal with Shadow for all new activations could be good for the game. And since Shadow, its new parent company and NQ are all French, this could be something to be agreed over a good bottle of wine ;)

One can dream ...

• 2 weeks later...

NQ will eventually just update the requirements to mention that Shadow is not supported. They clearly have no idea how to fix this, even when they have received a lot of specific information about what is happening.

With the new owner of Shadow and their plans, the platform is quite possibly going to get big and more mainstream. It could be a way for NQ to promote and drive awareness of DU .. But they just do not care to recognize opportunity when it stares them in the face.. 

Well I held out hope that after 3 months this update might let me finally play again... 76% this time instead of 70% and the game actually looked like it was going to load as the HUD appeared - CRASH. So it seems Shadow.Tech issue still isn't resolved.

The game has been working for the last 4 years on shadow and 0.23 broke it.  The future of gaming is cloud based so to imply it’s not their issue or that they won’t be wanting to be listed on Geforce Now on release is just ridiculous.

If their update caused issues with NVidia GFX they would working non stop to fix it.  Cloud based gamers may be a small percentage at the moment but to ignore this issue is not just an utter smack in face but will ultimately damage their credibility as developers.

GTAV / CyberPunk . Empyrion / Elite / RDR2 / ALL EPIC games… ALL UPLAY games…. they work.

But it’s Shadows issue obviously.

On 5/25/2021 at 10:55 PM, blazemonger said:

Well, Shadow just pretty much solved this problem for NQ for a lot of subscribers. They doubled their price for the basic config to €30/month so ppl are dropping off like flies..

I've been paying £12.99 for the last 2 years.
image.png.7185b94f9b2b4a6574e79af1ad01e61f.png

My last GIGABYTE Aero 14 cost me £1,700.  After 3 years it's overheating and past it's max setting gaming days.  Even paying £29.99 for 3 years is still half the price of any standard gaming rig.  As much as I have issues with the price rise, it's still cheaper than any other method of gaming with the same specs and ease of access.

I realize this is a hot spot for those affected but we have already stated we're doing what we can but it is not a priority for us with the current task list. I know it's frustrating to hear something that once worked no longer does, but that doesn't change the reality of what we can do about it right now. There is nothing new for us to say on it right now. We are continuing to look as we're able, but that is all we have promised, and all we're able to do right now. 

Thanks CM we know it's not a priority.  It should be.

Doesn't matter how many updates and extras you release for a game that doesn't work for part of your player base.  I read one excuse that an issue for testing is because there's a year waiting list for a shadow account, I can believe it.  Another Cloud gaming company is also sold out completley.  https://maximumsettings.com/

This should tell you where your player base will be, cloud based.  I appreciate you have nothing to offer but this should be a "hotspot" for NQ; do you have any idea how patronising that sounds?  I've put part of my life into this game since 2016, been an advocate and banner waver, tutor and experimenter breaking boundaries with voxels and LUA.  "Frustrating"? HA!  This whole response from the beginning has been a gut punch.

well, so much for the excuse that DU does not run on a VM .. more likely it is now hardcoded to only run on GeForce Now

It is not a priority to make it work on Shadow.. As the priority is to make it run (exclusively) on Geforce Now I am guessing..

1 hour ago, blazemonger said:

well, so much for the excuse that DU does not run on a VM .. more likely it is now hardcoded to only run on GeForce Now

It is not a priority to make it work on Shadow.. As the priority is to make it run (exclusively) on Geforce Now I am guessing..

You may be right, you may be wrong, it also maybe that DU shows up an edge issue in the Shadow platform because of how it is used - maybe shadow has an iffy sound driver. Impossible to tell without being able to debug it.

Same argument as Linux really for the dev team - how many people and what revenue. Lots of people, lots of revenue then do it now - little and little then leave it until you have time and nothing more pressing to do. No fun for Shadow users, I admit, but an unsurprising result.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The fact that DU once e worked on Shadow PC and stopped working as soon as Nvidia proposed the GeForce Now is, at least, dubious. Explanations about why it doesn't work anymore were quite unclear at first, but became totally inconsistent when they announced the compatibility with GeForce Now.

I don't even know if it's legal regarding french and EU laws on fair competition.

Moreover, GeForce Now is not a replacement solution for me as I don't have any PC. I'm using the Ghost device.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2021 at 7:13 PM, NQ-Naerais said:

Thanks, we are aware. I don't have any additional news on it right now. 

Hello NQ, i looked with update Ares for the issue, normaly SHADOW will have 12GB of Memory, there is about 5-7GB used as cached memory

DU crashed multiple times with different settings between 67% and 84%

so i would like to free up this unused memory, so i "hit" muliple times the FREE MEMORY button of WISE MEMORY OPTIMIZER and finally i got it, till 100% of loading screen

unfortunaly it crashed... 

for now i give up

2options: SHADOW will solve the issue with this memory leak, and/or NQ will solve the issue with cached voxels, because, after CRASH and End of DU there are still different "files" in Voxel.db

memory.PNG

NQ has no idea how to fix this issue,. The gam eruns fine on a local box with the exact same specs as Shadow so that is not the problem. The argument that the game is not supported in VM environments is also bogus as it does exactly that on GFN. 

This is not for Shadow to fix, it is a DU issue. And NQ does not care to address this.