DU crashes on Shadow PC since 0.24

blazemonger

An increasing number of DU players are reporting that they can't play anymore due to an issue causing DU to crash during loading on a Shadow PC.

The game will crash at the exact same point every time, for most it seems to be around the 70% mark but I have seen reports of different numbers.

If you encounter this issue, please do log a ticket with  Novaquark and provide the logs found in %localappdata%/NQ/DualUniverse

• Make sure you let the reporting tool finish after the crash and do fill out details there, such as to what percentage you load in
  • Zip the folders "CrashDumps", "crashes" and "log" (as applicable/available) and attach to the ticket you open with Novaquark.
  • hit [WINDOWS] R and type "dxdiag" .. save the logfile created in the tool and add to the ticket

Also log a support ticket with Shadow , the CrashDump file(s) and dxdiag logs may be of use to them, the logfiles for DU obviously not.

As we're seeing quite a few reports of players having this issue and many depend on a Shadow PC to play, it would be nice if @NQ-Naerais or @NQ-Deckard could provide somewhat regular updates on this issue here.

I have uninstalled (the right way) twice and reinstalled with admin, twice. The game loader comes up, but right after the play button is hit, everything DU related disappears from my memory and CPU....

I can't even get to the same error many others are happening, at least then I would have confidence I'd be able to see a fix within a week.

1 minute ago, Context said:

I have uninstalled (the right way) twice and reinstalled with admin, twice. The game loader comes up, but right after the play button is hit, everything DU related disappears from my memory and CPU....

I can't even get to the same error many others are happening, at least then I would have confidence I'd be able to see a fix within a week.

How do you uninstall "the right way"?

8 hours ago, WrenchItRyan said:

I cant let the reporting tool finish because it just sticks at the "unhandled exception" dialogue box.  I have to end task.  Will it still produce a log?  

When it crashes, you should be able to close the exception handler dialog. If not, try starting in windowed mode .. Or just let it be (even when the ore log the better)..

Yeah.. It would appear quite a few are playing on Shadow. It's a shame that it appears this was never looked into until after 0.24 dropped even when it was already reported to be an issue pretty much as PTS went live. 

Can't say this is the case obviously but they have not given off any signals of this being looked into until several days after 0.24 went live.

• 3 weeks later...

On 4/8/2021 at 11:57 AM, NsomniaRedline said:

3900xt with 2080 and 64 gigs of ram here, since .24 I crash unhandled exception about 3 times daily. Most of my crashes happen either between places in transit or while im tabbed out of game to look at something and when I get back it crashes. 

https://support.dualthegame.com/hc/en-us please 

DU tweet from April 12th "It's important to note that we did never officially announce our game's compatibility with ShadowPC. Therefore bugs are subject to occur."

Link - 

I'm confident it will get fixed, after all its a 100% reproducible issue, all we can do is wait patiently - I do feel for those who have no alternative PC.

I just responded to this update on the ticket. And no, this is not an acceptable excuse here even when I did predict that eventually NQ would just throw the "it is actually not supported" line out there as they would not be able to find a solution.

• That DU is not supported on Shadow was never before stated in the system specs and still isn't.
  • DU has run just fine up to the 0.24 PTS.
  • NQ has been (or at least should have been) well aware that they have a good number of subscribers and backers using Shadow
  • There is no reason for DU to not work on Shadow as the system specs are well above the suggested hardware specifications
  • The logs from the crash consistently show a Windows stopcode frequently seen with applications with memory issues such as leaks or incorrect allocation of memory.

Just to remind NQ; here are the DU system specifications which Shadow meets and exceeds:

Recommended:
CPU (Processor)
Intel Core i7 7700 (3.6 GHz) / AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (3.00 GHZ) (Shadow well exceeds this)

To run Dual Universe, you will need a CPU with AVX instructions.  
More information here.

Memory (Ram)
16 GB (While base Shadow has 'only' 12 GB memory, the issue is the same across all Shadow configurations. Minimum spec for DU is 8GB)

GPU (Graphics Card)
AMD RX 580 (8 GB) / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (8 GB) (Shadow well exceeds this)

Operating System
Windows 10 (Shadow meets this)

SOURCE

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2021 at 4:30 PM, NQ-Naerais said:

I'd like to clarify that the team is trying to find a solution for this, however yes, it's not officially supported. 

We are aware, that this is Game in Alpha Stage and still under development but if you call this a bug on Twitter, please handle it like a bug. Don't close tickets as "resolved" with the solution "Ask Shadow Support". Closing tickets as resolved conveys to me that no further work is being done on a solution. ?

I am an early supporter and I have been actively following the development of Dual Universe for the last 5 years, Cloud Gaming is the only way for me to play the Game.

Without cloud gaming support Dual Universe is for me basicly a dead game.

@Gangolf Ovaert

I'd agree with your thoughts. It seems NQ is not realizing that many existing and a potentially much larger future number of their player base would not be able to afford the kind of system needed to run DU comfortably but can (and do) use Shadow as a viable alternative to owning a decent spec gaming PC.

It's just very unfortunate they appear to just brush this aside as "not a high priority". And that means they ignore a potential problem in the code that may at any time trigger a much broader problem. It really is part of the bigger issue with NQ, having a very short term outlook on development of the game and not really setting the priorities which will allow them to move forward faster over time. If it's not a quick fix, it's not a priority it seems.

On 4/13/2021 at 6:03 PM, blazemonger said:

That DU is not supported on Shadow was never before stated in the system specs and still isn't.

By this logic DU should run in qemu. 

Nq says in what hardware + software it runs. Any alteration is not supported by default. 

@blazemonger Sorry i can't agree. We simply don't know what kind of issue this is, so we can not guess the importance OR if this has potential to cause even bigger issues in the future. There is a huge difference between knowing the root cause of an bug and actual fixing the bug.

Just an example, what can cause the delay:

They have already found a possible fix for the problem, but they cannot test it because you do not have access to a machine from Shadow... We all know how long the waiting times are for access.

All we can do is guess... But keep calm, stay friendly and don't fucking turn around every word they say... @joaocordeiro

These guys probably all have families and, considering the recent news, they certainly have enough to do already!

I am unhappy with the current situation too but complaining / shitposting will makes things only worse.

While i am waiting, a new war started in EVE Online and i also created a new world in Space Engineers.. if you want to join me, hit me up. ?

4 hours ago, Gangolf Ovaert said:

These guys probably all have families and, considering the recent news, they certainly have enough to do already!

Im trying to give them a long term job (10 years) instead of a short term one (next financial report). 

I guess im thinking about their families

On 4/22/2021 at 11:11 AM, blazemonger said:

@Gangolf Ovaert

I'd agree with your thoughts. It seems NQ is not realizing that many existing and a potentially much larger future number of their player base would not be able to afford the kind of system needed to run DU comfortably but can (and do) use Shadow as a viable alternative to owning a decent spec gaming PC.

It's just very unfortunate they appear to just brush this aside as "not a high priority". And that means they ignore a potential problem in the code that may at any time trigger a much broader problem. It really is part of the bigger issue with NQ, having a very short term outlook on development of the game and not really setting the priorities which will allow them to move forward faster over time. If it's not a quick fix, it's not a priority it seems.

What shadow has done is very complicated in its own way and it is not easy for a game to troubleshoot why there game wont work on a cloud computer, What im guessing is that du may need to access a part of shadow that they are not able to seing that our shadow computers arnt exactly full desktops, for them to trouble shoot the issue they would have to purchase a cloud computer which if they did it know the range of them getting one would be from now to December which is a long time. It's not as looking through files and seeing what might be wrong but rather a more complicated process. 

@Sinfil

Actually, no.

Shadow _is_ a fully fledged Windows PC. The hardware is very straightforward and as long as the software plays by the rules of Windows programming then it should not make a difference that his hardware is in a rack in a data center and not on your desk, that is the whole point of the service.

Also NQ would not have to get in line to get access to a Shadow PC, they can, and IMO should, apply for access as a developer and I actually  looked into this, taking all but 5 minutes to get the names of the people they would need to get in touch with to arrange this.

And it is actually a matter of "looking through files" which is exactly what I did, analyzing the Windows crash logs, and these logs show a standard Windows stopcode which would generally be indicative of one of two possible reasons for the crash, either a memory leak or the code not using the normal calls to allocate memory (which could also be somewhat of a definition of a memory leak actually).

That DU suffers from memory leaks is not a secret and is easily tracked and logged if you know how and have the toolset to do so. The problem I have here is that NQ pretty much shoves this aside as "not a priority" while there is a real and present danger of this becoming a more widespread issue on future patches, potentially impacting more configurations. And then shit hits the fan as it's quite possible many "normal" users will encounter similar issues.

The given that NQ is unable to  recognize this as a potential problem and pretty much dismiss it as "we do not support this configuration anyway (which is not a sustainable position as they do, Shadow meets and exceed their spec requirement)" is both a risk and nonsense, it's a straight up cop out where NQ once more does not take ownership of their responsibilities  as a developer for a live service game. It's part of why I decided to stop playing as it's clear to me NQ is not capable of actually understanding the risk they take her and elsewhere so I'm not going to invest time and effort into a game I expect could fail massively at any time or see further considerable delays in development as the dev runs into a brick wall they though was just a styrofoam block.

As long as DU plays by the rules code wise, there is no reason for it to not run on Shadow PC hardware. This is not a Shadow problem, it is a NQ one.

I'm with you on this one Blaze, this needs to be a priority, I have been running shadow as a alt account for months now, it was my bread and butter for scanning in my org and now its useless. Luckily I have my computer that works with the game still but I feel for those who don't have access and honestly it has contributed heavily to my overall discontentment with the game as of late. This is an MMO, time is money in MMO's and if players aren't able to play for days, weeks and even months without end then they will just leave. The game has already lost enough of the fairly small player base. You know its and issue, get it fixed ASAP. Starbase is coming soon and if you guys can't handle the biggest cloud based gaming platform in 2021, no offense intended but I'm sure they will. I mean this post alone is over 5 weeks old alone and still no fix.