0.24 Phase One - Discussion Thread

NQ-Deckard

1 hour ago, kulkija said:

This happened:

From patch notes:

Metals should look and behave like metals.

dTauTSU.png

If they are going to pull a stunt like this, at least leave the current materials as  "glossy XXXX" and introduce this new nastiness as "aged XXXX"...   The original silion panel was a perfect interior paneling solution, this is more alike a public toilet flooring solution...

... by which I mean that this sort of tile would have a definite place in the universe... Just no longer the floor of my org headquarters VIP corridors.

I've now got to replace 8000 cubic metres of this shite if they don't implement this as aged and grandfather the old silicon panel as glossy silicon panel.

I can only think that they did it purposefully. No way this was an accident. 

Someone must have gone, "yes, this will do it.. the nastiest most corroded panel of the lot..."

On 3/19/2021 at 6:20 AM, EasternGamer said:

I believe that is intended. Luminescent materials don't light up areas in real life, as far as I can tell. Use lights instead.

Look up the meaning of the word Luminescent, I believe one description is glow BRIGHTLY, not glow dimly - I have a feeling some of the people who were griping about the shiny glossy stuff probably have their screen gamma set too high mebe. Besides this is AGES in the future, luminescent glass contains LEDS 1 for each cubic meter. LEDs can put off a LOT of light and the glass uses ADVANCED LEDs so it SHOULD cast light not glow like reflective paint. ;)

Well.. so much for the changes to Market 6 and 7 improving performance.. it remains a lagfest which seems even worse now actually..

2nd time within 6 months NQ ignores any and all suggestions by players and presents their "solution" which (quelle surprise) makes absolutely no positive difference (as the player base pretty much predicted would happen).

Who knew..

More landing pads = more constructs = more lag = not solution

Why is it so hard for NQ to acknowledge that their have serious performance issues, and introduce solutions that address this problem? I mean it is obvious to anyone playing the game.

4 hours ago, Aaron Cain said:

almost ready for release of the game and the inflow of millions of players i would say, lagg would be less then

I don't think they should have put the queue for the games so close together. Someone might still be hoping that millions of players will actually go to DU, if the trailers are to be believed.

22 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

Why is it so hard for NQ to acknowledge that their have serious performance issues, and introduce solutions that address this problem? I mean it is obvious to anyone playing the game.

Because it should be clear that in this regard they are grasping at straws because they refuse to take their responsibility. For some odd reason they seem unwilling (or incapable) to actually resolve the issue and take action to do so. They keep coming up with these silly ideas that seem to be obviously flawed to everyone but NQ somehow. 

Solving this is not difficult nor would it require much dev resources as the mechanics to do so are already (mostly) in place;

1. If construct not owned by Aphelia has been at the market for 24 hours, compact to magic BP and store at ARK ship impound location where owner can retrieve it for a recovery fee plus storage fee which increases every 24 hours. If not recovered after two weeks delete construct.
  2. Aphelia provides advertising space on screens at markets. Players or orgs can rent screen time for images or short videos through the Aphelia Commerce Office.
  3. Aphelia will make stall space available close to markets. Players can submit their stalls for placement there through the Aphelia Commerce Office.

There, problem solved..

There is NO argument about "but what if I have to leave the game for a few months".. If you do, leave your ships on your base or on Sanctuary. That is why you have that tile. The markets are not a public parking area or a safe spot for your constructs.

Also, markets are not intended for players to put up stalls of their own.

NQ needs to start enforcing their own game rules and stop being scared kids afraid they may awake a dragon somewhere. The lack of ownership and absence of a sense of responsibility from their end here is baffling to me. NQ.. grow a pair.. 

25 minutes ago, le_souriceau said:

WHY EVERYTHING NOW OLD AND DIRTY?!

Because NQ has a new toy and they want everyone to know it everywhere they can show it off..

A frequent problem with new toys is that it's hard to keep focus and use with caution.. Less is more would apply here..

33 minutes ago, le_souriceau said:

WHY EVERYTHING NOW OLD AND DIRTY?!

@NQ:

It is a huge mistake to change Voxel existing colors, textures and their properties.

It is a slap into the face for all creative and artistic players.

HUGE MISTAKE

NQ Devs: Please recover all old color and texture settings, and newer do this mistake again.

Patch notes:

• [Lighting revamp] The game should be brighter and less gray. It should be prettier at night and more playable as well.

This really did not happen

Before update sand was nice white, such as one see at nice beech

Now it looks like dirt (at nigth)

Everything is darker at night, especially tunnels when mining

Lighting is tuned wrong (exposure, gamma,,, something) See sample images before this post. This can be seen everywhere, even when mining (such as bauxite)

Voxel Textures are sort of grayed, less colorful, darker, dirty, just ugly. And really why they have dirt patterns too...

Is this game going to some sort of dystopia style or why all is changed to gray, ugly end dirty.

5 hours ago, blazemonger said:

Because it should be clear that in this regard they are grasping at straws because they refuse to take their responsibility. For some odd reason they seem unwilling (or incapable) to actually resolve the issue and take action to do so. They keep coming up with these silly ideas that seem to be obviously flawed to everyone but NQ somehow.

At this point it would not surprise me if this is all just matter of optics, so that NQ can point to districts and say "look at all those constructs, this game is thriving and has stock available hint, hint". On the other hand if the parking impound feature was implemented, it would quickly become apparent in a very visible way if there are any active players left..

2 hours ago, kulkija said:

It is a huge mistake to change Voxel existing colors, textures and their properties.

It's what happens during Alpha game development.. It will become increasingly clear that the game is not even close to worthy of the "beta" sticker.

The texture NQ now uses are actually pretty cool and look great by themselves. It's the lighting in game that pretty much wipes that improvement off the table.

1 minute ago, CptLoRes said:

At this point it would not surprise me if this is all just matter of optics

Would not at all surprise me.. NQ knows the number aren't there and may want to keep up appearances at all cost. But we don't know that for sure so it's just a guess.. 

Thing is that if that is the case, and NQ is just sticking their head in the sand, there will come a moment where the lagfest at markets will not be a problem anymore.. as there are no players around to notice it.

But.. If I'm able to decide who can, and who cannot use a jetpack on my ship, then that sounds like boarding will never be a viable option. That was one emergent gameplay aspect that I was looking forward to. Maybe I'm projecting my own vision too much, but I was hoping this game would one day be similar to Space Engineers. Maybe NQ envisions something closer to Second Life.

13 minutes ago, U114145 said:

But.. If I'm able to decide who can, and who cannot use a jetpack on my ship, then that sounds like boarding will never be a viable option. That was one emergent gameplay aspect that I was looking forward to. Maybe I'm projecting my own vision too much, but I was hoping this game would one day be similar to Space Engineers. Maybe NQ envisions something closer to Second Life.

2nd Eve, Son of Cain, but it's minecraft.

37 minutes ago, U114145 said:

That was one emergent gameplay aspect that I was looking forward to. Maybe I'm projecting my own vision too much, but I was hoping this game would one day be similar to Space Engineers. Maybe NQ envisions something closer to Second Life.

It is sadly not only you. The emergent gameplay vision of DU has slowly been shrinking over the years, as the inability of NQ to execute becomes more apparent.

On 3/22/2021 at 2:38 PM, kulkija said:

This really did not happen

Of course it didn't and NQ never really had any clear indicators it would. describing a change as "should be brighter" or "should look prettier" means you really do not know if it will. It shows you are just throwing stuff at a wall hoping something will stick.

NQ has a test server where they can actually do.. well.. tests.. they can announce "we have made some changes which we expect will do this and this and we would like you to help us test this, come join PTS and let us know what you think or how you experience the change" But then, that would mean having the ability and/or goal to actually engage with your community in order to improve the game..

14 hours ago, blazemonger said:

But then, that would mean having the ability and/or goal to actually engage with your community in order to improve the game..

What is tragic, that most (if not all) serious problems/bugs/exploits/everying-in-between actualy found and reported by community in hours, days, rarely even weeks since every major or minor release. Sure, some bad apples here and there, but in general, community not even hides serious things fron NQ (like in some other games).

But speed with wihch such reports investigated or acted upon... painful to observe.

Like literaly its beyond joke to read about fixes of exploits that lasted (and enjoyed to break game) several months or half of year in persistent and, presumably, no wipe ecosystem.

Sad that the mission system got pushed back but i have to say that i really like the new textures for planets...at least what i saw so far. really got to visit a few more :)

really made the game way more immersive and i haven't been to a planed with new stones or trees.

hope you will break the silence a bit more often...the last weeks have been kinda odd with a feeling of "will we here again or not". would be real sad if the game won't make it, besides the issues it's still a gem i hope i can play for the years to come.