0.24 Phase One - Discussion Thread

NQ-Deckard

The metals - no, big no. Glossy looks terrible now. Once bright, fun, interesting colors (e.g., polished orange steel) are muted. Shadows are not working, no, just not working. The jetpack will...not...stop...turning on and off. Jetpack on, jetpack off, jetpack on, jetpack off - Stop the insanity! (Aside: Never really needed a 'jetpack on' in this game, but perhaps you have something up your sleeve for the future.) Go back to fun glossy and black pattern plastic looks/textures. Make lumens great again! Please fix LUA, no longer can I edit LUA parameters. Yeah, you added more parking @ the Alioth districts, but you just delayed the inevitable. More people will just park more stuff there and w/in 4 weeks it will look the same - not a fun place to fly into and/or do business. Pro tip - add the additional parking and disallow people the ability to park / place objects on the main pad where the building is located; tired of landing and running like a mouse thru a maze to bob-n-weave thru all the crap people have placed there just so I can elevator up to your building and wait for the market parameters to loooooooooaaaaaaaaaaddddddddddddiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg to grab that one item I need so I can quickly leave Laglioth.

Jetpack On

Jetpack Off

Jetpack On

Jetpack Off

Jetpack On

Jetpack Off

Jetpack On

Jetpack Off

Jetpack On

Jetpack Off

Jetpack On

Jetpack Off

Jetpack On

Jetpack Off

Jetpack On

Jetpack Off

Jetpack On

Jetpack Off

Jetpack On

Jetpack Off

Jetpack On

Jetpack Off

Jetpack On

Jetpack Off

Jetpack On

Jetpack Off

Jetpack On

Jetpack Off

Jetpack On

Jetpack Off

Jetpack On

Jetpack Off

Jetpack On

Jetpack Off

Jetpack On

Jetpack Off

Jetpack On

Jetpack Off

Jetpack On

Jetpack Off

Jetpack On

Jetpack Off

Jetpack On

Jetpack Off

Jetpack On

Jetpack Off

Jetpack On

Jetpack Off

Jetpack On

Jetpack Off

Jetpack On

Jetpack Off

Isn't this post annoying?

First impression. We now suddenly have patch release phases? What does that mean? Are you afraid you will run out of patch versions before 1.0? (there is about 12 years worth of patch versioning left before 1.0 at the current pace). How many phases are there in a patch, and how do they work together with the normal patch sub versions?

On 3/17/2021 at 11:19 PM, Fembot68 said:

Luminescent voxel is very dim now you cant even tell its lighting up in most cases. 

I believe that is intended. Luminescent materials don't light up areas in real life, as far as I can tell. Use lights instead.

Edited by EasternGamer

3 minutes ago, EasternGamer said:

I believe that is intended. Luminescent materials don't light up whole areas in real life, as far as I can tell. Use lights instead.

so if they don't emit light then they need to change the name ;)  right now they glow   so Glowing Voxel ?     Not trying to split hairs or start an argument but the reason they dimed them down is because they turned the contrast way way up.   This would make them so bright it would be blinding.  

Give us the contrast controls!  I want mine to be turned down where it was so everything is not washed out looking.  thank you :)

Luminessant 

Adjective

(en adjective)

• emitting light; glowing brightly
  • brightly illuminated

Glowing 

Adjective

(en adjective)

• That glows or glow.
glowing embers

11 minutes ago, kulkija said:

This is SCIFI - Space game, not a realism simulator.

It isn't a realism simulator. But that doesn't change the fact that it probably was never intended to give off large amounts of light. That's what lights are for. 

Luminescence is spontaneous emission of light by a substance not resulting from heat; or "cold light".

33 minutes ago, Fembot68 said:

(en adjective)

• emitting light; glowing brightly
  • brightly illuminated

That's the (approximate) definition of a luminous... Not sure where you got that definition from.
image.png.fb1c3f3ab639cffccefe4cd6a46fd23c.png

40 minutes ago, Fembot68 said:

so if they don't emit light then they need to change the name ;)  right now they glow   so Glowing Voxel ?

No... actually the current name makes sense.

2 minutes ago, EasternGamer said:

It isn't a realism simulator. But that doesn't change the fact that it probably was never intended to give off large amounts of light. That's what lights are for. 

That's the (approximate) definition of a luminous... Not sure where you got that definition from.
image.png.fb1c3f3ab639cffccefe4cd6a46fd23c.png

No... actually the current name makes sense.

Does not matter most of us do not like it so  whatever.      they need to undo the contrast settings that make the game grey.      notice "bright or shining"  in your def LMAO 

My second thing I wanted to point out was that some/a lot the textures seem to have been reduced to like 128x128 textures...
unknown.png
unknown.png
Those are meant to be "wood", but the texture looks like it's been scaled up massively. Might just be me though. (Max Settings btw)

1 minute ago, Fembot68 said:

notice "bright or shining"  in your def LMAO 

?????????????????????????
My dude... You're confused. I showed the definition of "Luminous"
This is the definition of Luminescent. It isn't very specific, but it's not meant to be bright... xD Look up the wikipage and you'll see plenty of examples where it doesn't look very bright.
image.png.6e048202c1f041447a41930fed2ccf9d.png

On 3/18/2021 at 3:31 AM, kulkija said:

valo.thumb.JPG.1bc166c1c50ff026814fc1d9da57da89.JPG

The new reflection from light sources is absolutely HORRIBLE. 

Most of the time when I'm building I use the torch, but now I can't see the green voxel tool outline because of the max gamma light reflections. It's ridiculous. Before the patch there were a few rare occasions where I would have to turn of the torch so see the grid/tool, but now it's pretty much any surface of gray or lighter honeycomb material (dark gray and black are fine).

NQ...you just keep making it harder and harder to stick with this game , which is a shame because there is no other game with the same creative aspect ?

Please, do something to tone this down.

I agree that they should just add a contrast slider to the game, and reset the base contrast back to what it was.  Ambient lighting was a TERRIBLE idea.  No more fun use of shadows and spooky corridors.  I actually really enjoyed the darkness, made lights look cooler.

Also, the dark is okay!  We have lights with no battery cost, so we can not only use our suit's light, but build lights everywhere we want that are fairly small and very effective.  It was so cool setting down on the dark side of a planet and watching my ship's lights hit the surroundings as I set down.

I am sad wallets still only allow manual payments. Was hoping for more. 

There is no way to pay a player/org other than manually (or using a complex and unreliable systems of booths/gates/sensors/dispensers that depend on giving out fixed sums of a commodity that is prone to changing in value.)

This makes it impossible to set up salaries, store accounts, refunds, banks (loans and interest payments), auctions, sales of non-dispenser items like land... Really any of the features of an actual economy.

Is there any chance we'll ever get the ability to process payments directly using LUA, or - as a workaround - give variable amounts of cash directly from a dispenser (i.e.: transfer items or cash to/from a container using LUA and modify dispenser settings using LUA?)

great. My whole range of ships was once made from a coordinated range of luscious golden orange steel, now its apparently made from what I like to call "polished-turd brown".

The polished orange steel is hideously bad looking now! whereas red, blue and green still look ok.

Also... what happened to my lovely, gleaming Silicon black panel? One of the best high quality looking glossy black flooring options now likes like a homeless man has relieved himself in the corridor and left it to dry rather than use Toilet Unit A.

On 3/18/2021 at 10:33 PM, OBER0TH said:

Yeah, you added more parking @ the Alioth districts, but you just delayed the inevitable. More people will just park more stuff there and w/in 4 weeks it will look the same 

Nah, there are only about 10% of the players still playing... Those abandoned ships are from the 90% that have left.  Should Be Fine (TM).  ?

From patch notes:

Metals should look and behave like metals.

Metal structures are allways coated with paint or electroplating or similar coating.

We had no paint tool. But material did represent nice and interesting colors as well as in some cases electroplated metals. So we were able to create illusions of something more what game was allowing.

@NQ:

So you decided that using materials creative way were not intended way to play this game also and took it away.

At same time you wiped hundreds of hours of creative work form builders.

I agreed that this is beta, but play hours are not.

Time spent playing is our own time in real world. And it is not infinite for us. Please stop wasting our limited time in real life. My life (what is left of it) is too short for this.

Edited by kulkija
typo

9 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

Also... what happened to my lovely, gleaming Silicon black panel? One of the best high quality looking glossy black flooring options now likes like a homeless man has relieved himself in the corridor and left it to dry rather than use Toilet Unit A.

This happened:

From patch notes:

Metals should look and behave like metals.