0.24 Phase One - Discussion Thread

NQ-Deckard

Well, I will focus on the most exciting changes for me.

The "24" is even number and I like even numbers more than odd numbers, because numbers like "23" are odd and I always avoid them when adjusting the volume on my devices.

The 0.24 broke the game for many users.

I already reported the crash that was hapenning on the PTS but nothing has been done to solve this.

after speaking with other users in the same case it seems Shadow PC (https://shadow.tech) are now blocked and cannot access the game anymore.
Any reason to that ?

Can we please have a rapid fix for that ?

Overall the graphics look good that being said.  There are so few good colors in the game its hard to find one to build with that has good contrast.  Now some of those have been made dull or look like they have been melted in the sun.  others look a lot better.  

here a few that I have found so far I am disappointed in 

• Black pattern plastic was one of the better patterns in the game.   now it looks more like gray pattern melted plastic. 
  • Steel colors have lost their colors and seem to have been muted out. Even the dark orange steel looks brown when it has no light on it. 
  • Luminescent voxel is very dim now you cant even tell its lighting up in most cases. 

black pattern plastic.PNG

So new graphics and such is nice.  But let me cut to the point.  Market clutter solution was no solution.  It was a delaying tactic at best.   Why not compact and place any ship left there for longer than 90 days and shove it in their market inventory so they can come and get it.  

This won't effect active players, but dead accounts will clean up the trash.  

Lighting/shadows vs voxels and elements completely borked now. As it was they did sort of leak through some voxels/shiny material (which all looks like cheap spray paint instead of awesome glossy metals, btw - for instance check GLOSSY Lithium now looks like cheap silver spray paint.) and if you designed a voxel hood with holes in it you could get some really kool effects using the Vertical lights. Also, to create drama and other kool effects I was using things like containers to block light. this no longer works at all. Light just blasts right through all elements now and the voxel hoods no longer work. 
Luminescent glass - while it's great that the glare is cut, you went a bit too far. Also, it no longer casts a light from what I can tell. While I applaud the more matte shaders for the matte materials you all went too far and reduced the emissive qualities a bit too much. Hope you all try to look into this as for some of us trying to eek out a nitch, in DU, you just broke us. I may be a newbie posting here, I am far from a newbie to material shaders in game development.

[Lighting revamp] The game should be brighter and less gray. It should be prettier at night and more playable as well.

This went to total opposite

Game is darker and gray...

- sand is darker and ugly

- i'we used white pattern iron and galvanized white iron to get at least some light and playability in my building. Now it is all gray and dark.

- glossy materials were interesting and created nice effects. Not anymore Why you did spoil that. It may be 100% realistic, but hey come on this is SCIFI space game. Do not try ti make this a dull realism simulator.

- if materials are not grayed out or darker textures get overexposed if light is used

Before

image.thumb.png.c0b6ff0458e0bc9536ea580e7d909a8e.png

Now

image.thumb.png.c111a1f574e0863b6fa3fd8f2d718de1.png

valo.thumb.JPG.1bc166c1c50ff026814fc1d9da57da89.JPG

I think the game looks and runs better in almost everyway. Sadly the exceptions make the game look horrific. Many metal materials have a weird glazed ceramic looking reflectivity. This has an especially bad looking result on Galvanized and Stained metals as they have a really extreme normal map that causes this glaze to look like metalkc leprosy. It seems to be most noticable during the day when the metals are reflecting the atmosphere. Is this a known issue? Is it going to be fixed? 

Hopefully some of the metals will be hotfixed but I'm pretty happy about the forward momentum so far.

But one thing I was suuuper disappointed about is that the rotation tool still doesn't have multiple axes of rotation ?

Please, please, please please please please for the sake of my sanity and saving everyone's time from having to use work-arounds, PLEASE add more rotation axes to the element rotation tool!  Just like, have the X be default, hold shift for Y, hold alt for Z.  I swear to you, this will be the single most valuable change to the editing tool set you could make. 

The new ambient light is a terrible idea. We've lost any ability to create 'dark' areas. The 'dark seedy understation' on Utopia is now just an overexposed nightmare. It looks like Todd Howard showed up, told everyone that the dark is scary and now we've just got this permanent dusk at night.

Areas that are completely hidden from the sun are no longer dark. No doubt this has ruined countless builds.

If you're having trouble with light on planets or underground, fine.. but why bork up the shadows on constructs? Quite honestly, the lighting on the constructs was the best in the game, and now it's just Fortnite. Space is dark.. that's the thing about the absence of light.... it's dark.

7 hours ago, kulkija said:

It may be 100% realistic, but hey come on this is SCIFI space game. Do not try it make this a dull realism simulator.

This is just my opinion but  with the world the way it is right now we have enough "real" and need somewhere to escape that.    The more Real and Job like you make the game the less fun it becomes.  We saw this in .23 with the mass exodus of players.    

There is balance to be had here you have to find that.    

The main issues I see, and hear about / read daily are the following

1. Market Clutter, this needs resolving not moving

2. TCU Mechanic, So may tiles are owned by individuals who do not play, have a "tax" system, where you also have to do something on the TCU each week to maintain that tile.

3. PvP Risk and Reward - the introduction of, for example Asteroids, whereas a resource which can only be gathered in PvP zones and is essential for higher tier stuff, will improve PvP, and PvE with unique or higher tier items.

4. Lack of end game content, or any content other than Mining or the resultant crafted items in order to make money.

Unfortunately none of the above were addressed in .23 or .24 - what you did do is alter/amend or add things which were not important to the player base, which leads me and probably most others to believe the total lack of interactions between development and playerbase.

So, voxels doesn't cas shadows anymore, the voxels textures are just a crap (bye bye matte copper, glossy carbon, galvanised aluminium, etc) lua parameters aren't availables, primary container link is lost everytime, the refresh on the wallet windows make it litteraly unusable until you're a keyboard bot and type at speed of light. Not to talk about the tutorials and the chalenges that aren't work at all. And I probably forget a lot of other things.

The 0.24 was expected to be more polished than that, since players had tested it in PTS stage. I though NQ was learn something valuable with 0.23 when they offer the Public Test Server before pushing a release live. Is the PST usefull if NQ doesn't use as it must be used : a test stage where all the things are tested, polished, to push a relatively stable and playable update live. 

Only NQ considere there was an urge to release 0.24. Player base didn't. We don't give a fuck with your agenda and plans, NQ. All we want is a playable game where each release is the garantee that all the players has done will not be ruined.

Next time, NQ, take your time, but really, and listen your player base when they ask you to wait to push a release live or when they tell you there is a bug here and there (I sent multiple bug reports and only one has recieved a positive and effective response, all the other was ellusives).

1 hour ago, Shockr said:

The new ambient light is a terrible idea. We've lost any ability to create 'dark' areas.

Another vote on this from me. Please make the darkness dark again.

Also, can we have the old texture back for matte carbon fiber? It was gorgeous. Now it's basically polka dots, and has tiling artifacts.

Just now, Kaimorta said:

Also, can we have the old texture back for matte carbon fiber? It was gorgeous. Now it's basically polka dots, and has tiling artifacts.

Not only carbon fiber. Glossy and galvanized honeycombs in a whole, matte copper (which now looks like a kind of smoothed metalic plastic), and probably a lot of others that literaly ruined the constructs look and feel.

Is there a link somewhere to help us file tickets or give feedback?

The Launcher screen is too big for my screen and I can't see the icons on the edges and the only thing I can click on is a narrow strip of the "Play" button.
And the links in the section about the update don't work.

Just now, Celestis said:

Is there a link somewhere to help us file tickets or give feedback?

The Launcher screen is too big for my screen and I can't see the icons on the edges and the only thing I can click on is a narrow strip of the "Play" button.
And the links in the section about the update don't work.

https://support.dualthegame.com/