L rocket booster fuel consumption.

GraXXoR

2.1Ml per hour cant be right, surely?

its only generating 18MN of thrust...

this is supposed to be T3 technology and yet its TWO ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE worse than simple T1 space engines.

Its like saying paraffin lamps are T3 but OLEDs are T1...

What, are they just squirting the unburnt fuel out the back or something?

Well they are not meant to be used for long periods, I believe their spot it's in the small window where both space and atmos are weak due to the transition between atmospheric and space flight.

You're likely gonna use them for, I dunno, 20 seconds, it make sense, probably xD

Also 18mn is like 10L atmos (without talents ofc), it's a lot.

It's always struck me as odd that rockets are such a high tier. (Are the rockets still T3? The fuel is only T2 now.)

They do burn a huge amount of fuel. The tradeoff is thrust to mass and thrust to cross section are really good.

1 hour ago, Wadiss said:

orrrrr 

maybe you can use it for a space hauler to get to AGG height.

No atmo engines / no atmo tanks / no atmo fuel ftw

Good point. 

still wonder why they have 1/100 of the fuel efficiency of everything else, though. Does seem a bit excessive.

21 minutes ago, GraXXoR said:

Good point. 

still wonder why they have 1/100 of the fuel efficiency of everything else, though. Does seem a bit excessive.

They put out a lot of thrust for the amount of space they use. You can put their fuel tanks literally anywhere on or around your ship, but the rockets themselves are relatively small. The real question is why can't a single tank fuel more than one of them. Each has to have their own.

4 minutes ago, Musclethorpe said:

They put out a lot of thrust for the amount of space they use. You can put their fuel tanks literally anywhere on or around your ship, but the rockets themselves are relatively small. The real question is why can't a single tank fuel more than one of them. Each has to have their own.

I agree that is annoying. 

In alpha you used to not be able to turn them off once fired, so I would say it is residual from then. 

28 minutes ago, GraXXoR said:

Good point. 

I'm level 4 now on placement and pilot skills for rocket now, makes a big difference. I think it will be one of those things where you need to skill into them for them to be useful. 

12 hours ago, Daphne Jones said:

It's always struck me as odd that rockets are such a high tier. (Are the rockets still T3? The fuel is only T2 now.)

They do burn a huge amount of fuel. The tradeoff is thrust to mass and thrust to cross section are really good.

S and M rockets are Tier 3 and L rockets are T4!

I said ages ago they needed to adjust the tiers...
T1 ailerons rockets airbrakes and hover 

T2 atmo, adjusters

T3 Space, vertical thrusters, spacebrakes

T4 AGG

T5 Warp, Teleport pods

they have their uses and are being made and bought.

They are active instantly, they are super light, the fuel is super light. So you can just have them on your ship, just in case, and if you need a boost, you have it.

I have them on my ships as a "oh shit I am screwed" emergency button if I came into atmo at a wrong angle or something pops up. 2 L rockets (on M tanks) mean I can instantly have as much power as my main thrust (8 L engines) helping me out for a few seconds, I have them on the bottom of my ship.

There are some items, like freight and safe engines that are not only perceived as bad, they are also never bought. I would rather use a basic engine than a rare safe engine. As long as people want to use rocket engines and buy them, despite their high price (hurray) they dont need a buff.

Also, they are all t3.

On 3/17/2021 at 7:46 PM, Gottchar said:

they have their uses and are being made and bought.

They are active instantly, they are super light, the fuel is super light. So you can just have them on your ship, just in case, and if you need a boost, you have it.

I have them on my ships as a "oh shit I am screwed" emergency button if I came into atmo at a wrong angle or something pops up. 2 L rockets (on M tanks) mean I can instantly have as much power as my main thrust (8 L engines) helping me out for a few seconds, I have them on the bottom of my ship.

There are some items, like freight and safe engines that are not only perceived as bad, they are also never bought. I would rather use a basic engine than a rare safe engine. As long as people want to use rocket engines and buy them, despite their high price (hurray) they dont need a buff.

Also, they are all t3.

True about their fuel being light... 0.8kg per litre, same as paraffin... But Kergon and Nitron are about 5kg per litre or something like that, IIRC.

Basically 1/3 the density of mercury.... LOL.  can't help but thinking that those weights were decided during a nerf pass rather than at an actual design session.

At least I know why they are T3... the pump required to shovel 1kl/s through an orifice the size of an....   err tight orifice ... must be pretty god-damn amazing.

screw what stuff weighs IRL, it does work in the game currently. 4 and 6 for atmo and space fuel feel very balanced, and that is the important part. 

Making it 0.9 would be more realistic but bad for the game. I like realism if it leads to stuff being intuitive and easy to understand. Realism for the sake of realism makes for boring and tedious games.

The game has many many problems, this isnt one.

On 3/17/2021 at 7:46 PM, Gottchar said:

Also, they are all t3.

You are apparently under a slight misapprehension.

L rockets are T4 the exact same tier as Large Anti Gravity drives that can float a still as yet unreleased 256m XL Dynamic Core without expending energy.

21 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

You are apparently under a slight misapprehension.

L rockets are T4 the exact same tier as Large Anti Gravity drives that can float a still as yet unreleased 256m XL Dynamic Core without expending energy.

-checking material: t3
-checking my t2 assemblers I am making them in
-checking what it says in the nanocrafter: t3

If they are made in a t2 assembler using t3 materials,  I call that a t3 item. What makes you think they are t4?

And yes, I know what an AGG L is,  I have some lying around. Agg are made using t4 materials in a t3 assembler. They are t4.

15 hours ago, Gottchar said:

-I call that a t3 item. What makes you think they are t4?

And yes, I know what an AGG L is,  I have some lying around. Agg are made using t4 materials in a t3 assembler. They are t4.

Where did I imply you didn’t know what an AGG was? Or were you just slipping in a sly boast about just having them lying around somewhere, for the benefit of other readers or potential mates? ?

Also, why on earth would you build a large AGG when XL cores don’t exist and no atmo PvP exists?

Although, I suppose, you could call it hedging a bet for when (lol) XL dynamic cores get release.

Why do I think it’s T4? Because it says so when you inspect it. Could it be a bug? Possibly. Do I care? Not really. 

Can you please re-inspect them? They are t3, they are built with t3 items and also clearly state they are t3.

Because they are t3.

there are some items like XL screens or TCU which state the wrong tier, but rocket fuel tanks dont.

They state they are t3, because they are t3.

I usually agree with a lot of what you say in other threads, even though I sometimes dislike your wording, but in this thread you are a bit slow.

11 hours ago, Gottchar said:

but in this thread you are a bit slow.

And you can't read, apparently.

(See, I can dispense completely unnecessary insults, too)

When talking about tanks I said they were T3...

On 3/17/2021 at 7:51 PM, GraXXoR said:

At least I know why they are T3... the pump required to shovel 1kl/s through an orifice the size of an....   err tight orifice ... must be pretty god-damn amazing.

I was talking about L Rockets being T4...  not tanks. 

On 3/20/2021 at 10:19 PM, GraXXoR said:

And I also acknowledged that it could be a bug... so not sure why you seem super defensive about it...

11 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

Why do I think it’s T4? Because it says so when you inspect it. Could it be a bug? Possibly. Do I care? Not really. 

yPmAVBxl.png

So clearly it IS, like XL screens listing the wrong tier... unless you need a T4 assembler to assemble it?

On 3/24/2021 at 1:03 AM, Haku0814 said:

TBH, I leave atmo, my ATMO/SPACE engines literally overlap going on and off due to skills lol.

yes. once you get those skills that reduces atmospheric effects on your atmos and wings up to L5 you can cruise into space without too much effort.

First off, I was wrong about the tier of rocket engines L. Sorry for also being an ass about it.

Back to topic, they are being used, produced and bought, they are by far not as useless as many other items in the game. Given how crazy light they are, they can just generally be carried around in case they are needed. I think they fit in just fine.

As long as more rocket fuel tanks M alone are traded and used more than all freight and safe, space and atmo engine of all sizes together, I think the item is fine. Not OP, not mandatory etc, but fine.