Question about evolution of DU

Skimus

Can you recall some examples when NQ implemented something new, then the community feedback was mostly negative, then NQ changed it (once or many times) and then the feedback transitioned to mostly positive?

The question is especially directed at people that follow DU for a long time. Most of the new ideas are really bad, but with continual improvement, they can evolve into something not that bad or even great. So I was wondering how well this process works in DU.

That happened right at the start of beta when a particular alliance of orgs (mostly) objected to the way the markets were set up and NQ changed them. (I'm not in that alliance of orgs and I disagree with the change), but it is an example of what you're talking about.

Also, because the flight model is written in Lua and we have access to the source code, quite a few of us "fixed" the flight model for our own constructs and reported to NQ what we were doing. NQ made some very nice updates to the stock flight model based on what we players did. (AFAIK, NQ took ideas, not code, and wrote their own code for the changes.)

Your addition "then NQ changed it (once or many times) and then the feedback transitioned to mostly positive?" really made me think for a while.

In retrospect, a lot of things were implemented to some extent but never got a revision. From any unnecessary features that crept into the feature list at the time and added no value to gameplay (yes, I'm looking at you Surrogate Pods) , were postponed indefinitely (yes, I am looking at you AvA), or made worse to make it more accessible

(Yes, this time looking at you thrust-to-mass ratio), there wasn't much left that met your criteria.

So if I take out things that are under the ATV NDA and things that are obvious like UI (optimization, renderings, accessible) then I really have to say there is only one subject for me that I can call that: Mining. It was the only one in my eyes that got multiple tries, attempts and a lot of love from all the features that DU has in it's current state.

I remember back then, fragments always remained and a vein could never be mined completely. The scanner always pinged and it was frustrating to look for the last piece. I am thankful that we at least have this green border and that the ore sticks together more and you can mine a vein more efficiently and cleanly. I was able to mine everything down with a calm conscience without breaking down any leftovers and my scanner stopped pinging again.

A few people complained at the time about how fast it was and how they wanted to make a science out of how to mine the ore. I would like to see their opinion today that it was meant for all players and not for a small group.

2 hours ago, SirJohn85 said:

So if I take out things that are under the ATV NDA and things that are obvious like UI (optimization, renderings, accessible) then I really have to say there is only one subject for me that I can call that: Mining. It was the only one in my eyes that got multiple tries, attempts and a lot of love from all the features that DU has in it's current state.

Right, that is a good example that shows they actually can do it. I will try to remember that, because when I log in from time to time, in my limited perspective, I got this impression that nothing really changed for the better.

However, I still can't wrap my head around this strange emptiness. I guess I expected that there will be some kind of continous tweaks and exciting updates to check out at least every 2-3 months. I mean, it's supposed to be a really cool space game and, are there like 50 people working on this? In 2 locations?

I think that I was more excited about what I heard a few years ago in JC's interviews than after "release".

4 hours ago, Skimus said:

Right, that is a good example that shows they actually can do it. I will try to remember that, because when I log in from time to time, in my limited perspective, I got this impression that nothing really changed for the better.

However, I still can't wrap my head around this strange emptiness. I guess I expected that there will be some kind of continous tweaks and exciting updates to check out at least every 2-3 months. I mean, it's supposed to be a really cool space game and, are there like 50 people working on this? In 2 locations?

I think that I was more excited about what I heard a few years ago in JC's interviews than after "release".

I must honestly admit that it is difficult for me to look forward to it all with confidence. When I look back and see that the focus was always on one feature and everything else was half-heartedly "added on", then it could well be 2030 before we have everything. 

I recently said to a friend, looking back 4 years: "Well, you're always smarter in retrospect. I remember a company that wanted to take on a singleshard project with 25 men and an inexperienced ceo and revolutionise a genre."

Don't get me wrong, JC himself is certainly a brilliant scientist who knows a lot about robots and AI. But he had never developed a game, let alone an mmorpg. Since the departure of this EVE Online game designer, no talent or other big name has ever been mentioned. (Except for Yamamushi who switched from Community to NQ, but that doesn't count here in context).

But it has also become quiet around him, if I look at the last few years. In the meantime, it's just a name I've heard. He is no longer tangible for me.

As generaly passionate person, who likes to put heart into something, dream and do it little bit too much, I feel very exausted/frustrated over DU lately with all these fails, unclear perspectives and proverbial red flags, that very dangerously close to what we seen in failed MMOs in past.

So I decided to finish articles I still working and give it some rest until summer. Force myself out of loop.

People who like against our "critical wave" right in one thing -- its useless, mainly because we talking more with corpse currently.