Credit where credit is due

TonyTones

Nearais was in discord answering questions, chatting and fielding the criticism very gracefully. I thought it might be a short lived interaction with all of the hate that was being vented but we all had a good discussion. Hopefully we can get back to stuff like that if it's not too much strain on resources/time. I too have been critical of the lack of communication since .23 but I would like to take a moment and thank you for interacting with us and maybe restoring some hope. 

unnamed.jpg

Yea! I was also very happy to see that.
Would be great if NQ give her some insider infos about whats going on right now.

"Project zomboid", which is a indie game, does a Devblog every week for years now.
Sometimes they dont have much interesting to report so they just write that they are working on bugs etc. but even that is enough to stay motivated about the future.
I would love if DU could do something like that.

First off, I like Naerais and I think she is a great CM. anything I may feel or say about NQ really does not reflect on her.  She is a pro and as a person a good communicator.

The problem I have is not with her but wit h the company that employs her and frankly, does not use her abilities to their full potential. Just in case no one noticed, when she "sat in" as lead CM during the absence of the actual lead CM things were different and that came to an abrupt end when the lead CM returned to work.  NQ has very artificial limitations as to what CM can/should do (it's more a choice of style than a needed one I believe) and while the people doing the work (like Naerais) have a lot of potential and capabilities, the next level up is pretty much a brick wall.

What we saw yesterday fits _exactly_ with the pattern NQ has shown sine pre-alpha started. a few weeks prior to releasing a major patch they ramp up their presence which as I see it is an attempt to hype up the audience for the release. They well stay visible and active for maybe 2-3 2weeks, popping in to Discord to "get feedback on the patch" after the patch arrives and then slide back into silence only to start posting devblogs about two months before the next patch and getting more visible themselves a few week prior again.

0.24 is expected to arrive in the next two weeks, and I can see 24 March as a potential date, and so I expect to see CM popping in more frequently for some chit chat and maybe answering a few "innocent" questions along the way. That would be entirely "in character" for the NQ CM team and outside of them showing up, there has really never been an actual engagement with the community here outside of what Naunet did (and tried to maintain) while she was with NQ. That was IMO unscripted and her own initiative which earned her the respect of the community. Not saying Naerais does not have that respect as she does (for different reasons) but I hope you get what I mean. Naunet IMO was more open and free in her interaction, Naerais does seem to be more inclined to follow the corporate mantra in when she appears (but is great and tries to take full advantage when she does that)

But clearly, it is well possible also that Naerais decided to "go rogue" and just spend a bit more time with the community. ;)

All we want is content but any new content or features need to be fully tested.  Whilst we all want 0.24 we want it when it is fixed and feature full first.  PTS testing has been a great way to start that process and heck they found missions had various bugs so pulled it for 0.24 for now.

Thanks

Just now, blazemonger said:

We do not know that's why it was pulled.. It could be that NQ found it might be better to have a more complete mission system implemented as first iteration.. either way.. the point is the same as far as the issue behind all this.. C o m m u n i c a t i o n 

Its probably the bugs for example I lost 11 million :) fingers crossed tho!

On 3/13/2021 at 10:08 AM, blazemonger said:

First off, I like Naerais and I think she is a great CM. anything I may feel or say about NQ really does not reflect on her.  She is a pro and as a person a good communicator.

But did she do her job well? 

First, what is a Community Manager? 

Sure she hang out on discord, and communicated with ppl there. But did discord represented most of the community? 

Where was she in the forums? 

When did she actively participated in forum discussions? Asking questions, trying to understand all points of view? 

How about in-game chat? When was she there?

There is also a certain hidden way she gathered feedback. 

Instead of being transparent and presenting a summary of feedback gathered, we, the community, never had a clear view of the feedback she gathered and transmitted to management. 

So what was she great about? At responding to jokes about coffee and mouse wheels? 

Did she help you? But thats a job for a admin helper not for the Community Manager... 

How was she a good CM? 

3 hours ago, joaocordeiro said:

But did she do her job well? 

First, what is a Community Manager? 

Sure she hang out on discord, and communicated with ppl there. But did discord represented most of the community? 

Where was she in the forums? 

When did she actively participated in forum discussions? Asking questions, trying to understand all points of view? 

How about in-game chat? When was she there?

There is also a certain hidden way she gathered feedback. 

Instead of being transparent and presenting a summary of feedback gathered, we, the community, never had a clear view of the feedback she gathered and transmitted to management. 

So what was she great about? At responding to jokes about coffee and mouse wheels? 

Did she help you? But thats a job for a admin helper not for the Community Manager... 

How was she a good CM? 

He got some point - minus the latent aggressiveness