Empire Gets 1.2Bil stolen/insided by military leader

ELX987

Now watch DU PR lick their lips and spin this like there is no tomorrow.. 

I'm amazed how easy this must have been to rise to this level of access so quickly in a beta game. It only shows how gullible and amateurish the EMpire leadership is.. Not surprised 

If it's true.. But I can see how Empire leadership has no idea what happened if they are ven aware and are probably so massively embarrassed by their incompetent leadership that they'd rather crawl under a rock.

There will be/there are already some who condemn this but let's be honest here.. someone left the door open and allowed someone else to walk right in. Leadership is more than a title on a website and I guess that lesson was learned here

if this is all true which we obviously can't determine as Empire Leadership is not talking. The story is worded vague enough to be one big .. story..

Why did he disclose himself.

The more of a fun would be if he would tokenize, trade token to alt or something and use it there.

This way no one would know who stole the stuff and he could continue doing it while Empire is witch hunting and getting lolz.

I just wonder how much work it took on their part, over all those months.

How much mining did they do?  How much building?  How much setting up infrastructure?

Kinda seems like they helped build an Org, and then kicked everyone else out.  

Now they've got an Org worth of stuff, and no Org to play with. 

But i guess all those cool points gotta be worth something lol

3 hours ago, XKentX said:

"And Loki (Devian), he's a full-tilt diva, right? He wants flowers, he wants parades. He wants a monument built to the skies with his name plastered... Son of a...."

:V

2 hours ago, Atmosph3rik said:

I just wonder how much work it took on their part, over all those months.

How much mining did they do?  How much building?  How much setting up infrastructure?

Kinda seems like they helped build an Org, and then kicked everyone else out.  

Now they've got an Org worth of stuff, and no Org to play with. 

But i guess all those cool points gotta be worth something lol

A LOT of mining. Our org space station alone which was packed to the brim with 4-7 expensive PvP ships, lots of haulers and a ton of shuttles earlier got completely emptied, including non-org ships. Getting back again is gonna take a long time, and the empire military was struggling financially already. He was a trusted friend and almost everyone liked him. he seemed like a really nice guy, but he really did stab us in the backs.

7 hours ago, XKentX said:

The more of a fun would be if he would tokenize, trade token to alt or something and use it there.

This way no one would know who stole the stuff and he could continue doing it while Empire is witch hunting and getting lolz.

I personally saw him at the station, possibly while he was doing it, there was no way he could hide it.
In case anyone was wondering, I only popped in at random, I logged off like 2 mins later, but noticed him and his alt were there. Then half an hour to an hour later, a member noticed the ownership of military ships was different.

On 3/10/2021 at 7:23 PM, blazemonger said:

someone left the door open and allowed someone else to walk right in. Leadership is more than a title on a website and I guess that lesson was learned here

To be fair, he said he worked his way up, including being super-nice to people and helping to train their combat forces, probably even fought in battles with them in order to keep his cover.  It wasn't a door left open, it was just a very good spy with no scruples and a goal that he was going to reach no matter what morally was in his way.

2 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

celebrating this kind of backstabbery is kinda sad. Like women who send letters to serial killers. Lol. 

he planned it from the start, but still your point is valid

im just sitting here laughing 

tenor.gif?itemid=16042439

9 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

celebrating this kind of backstabbery is kinda sad. Like women who send letters to serial killers. Lol. 

Hey, you kidding me?  I love watching political dramas and spy movies!  This kind of intrigue is awesome especially when it's in fiction, don't be so boring haha.

13 minutes ago, Madrummer said:

Hey, you kidding me?  I love watching political dramas and spy movies!  This kind of intrigue is awesome especially when it's in fiction, don't be so boring haha.

The vast majority of fiction, the spies and backstabbers get their comeuppance, though. They are not celebrated for their excellent spying. The aggressor is the one vilified eventually not put on a pedestal, except by wannabes who love despots and hang their regimes’ flags on their bedroom walls. Next to framed  black-and-white photos.

The Usual Suspects being a notable exception.

I guess I’m kind of boring, if I want this sort of shit I just play Eve.

I mean....almost every major mafia movie or bank heist movie ever lol

I'm not rooting for him, I'm just saying, like...damn!  Good job!  Truly devious shit, but Hell if that wasn't an impressive act of espionage!

True. But he’s still a complete piece of shit for doing it. If he can do that to people who thought he was a friend in the digital realm, he’d likely not baulk at doing the same in the analogue world. Digital games often just bring nascent desires to the surface in a (slightly more) consequence free environment. 

The massive EVE example was intense and shows that “but it’s not real” doesn’t cut it, because it is.. 1T ISK is work about 10k USD.  I’d be pissed off if I lost 14 years of effort and 10k (but mainly the 14 years) like that guy did in EVE. Nothing fake about that except he probably deserved it. 

9 minutes ago, GraXXoR said:

True. But he’s still a complete piece of shit for doing it. If he can do that to people who thought he was a friend in the digital realm, he’d likely not baulk at doing the same in the analogue world. Digital games often just bring nascent desires to the surface in a (slightly more) consequence free environment. 

lol

it's a game dude. I stole trillions in eve too over the years, that doesn't mean i would do it IRL. also it doesn't mean i'm a shitty person IRL, because you guessed it, this is a friggin pixel game :D

11 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

Then there’s always those who retrospectively come out from under their rocks, proclaiming, “Me? Yeah, I knew what he was doing from day one...”

Yeah, Sure they did. 

There were a few people who knew what was going on. He even mentioned it in the post. I'm not sure why you're being so salty about it...

TLDR at the bottom...

People overuse the term salty, to the point where it’s almost meaningless and has become a rallying call of those with little else in their lives to insult people who feel differently about things (PvP vs carebare is top there) . Being “salty” is just a new phrase that was supposed to (ironically, I feel) point to feeling bitter about something personally. I’m neither “salty” nor bitter. Just pointing things out. It’s likely just projection on the part of those using the term since I have little personal at stake to get “salty” about in this discussion. I’m merely stating my opinions on a take it or leave it basis. As I always do.  ?

When you stole billions @Lethys did you, too, purposefully garner the trust of people around you getting them to rely on you and believe that you were their friend? Did you nurture that relationship with them with the express purpose of taking it all away from them? Did you even go so far as to use out of game chat and social tools to strike up friendships with them, like discord or teamspeak? 

did you ever discuss things such as music and movies to find out their interests and further the ruse? Did you ever joke and laugh about things while they were maybe having a drink at the same time?

Or did you solely and exclusively do it as part of the game, knowing you brought them enjoyment  and entertainment within the context of the game and that after you did that to them they laughed and chuckled about it that evening down the pub? Nothing personal...

When these games run for years, there’s more at stake for people than just the game. 

With many MMOs providing an online experience akin to chat rooms and Facebook in lieu of physically interacting with “real” friends in the “real” world, many people make social and personal connections with people in game and create what can amount to true friendships.

The fact of the matter is that the difference and inherent distinction between “in game” and “in real life” is starting to become less and less clear cut as we move to an increasingly digital lifestyle. At what point does reality really end and fantasy actually start? It's far more blurred than it has ever been.

Now add money to the equation with digital assets having increasingly real value (Bitcoin, Linden Dollars, DACs) and you start to incur “real” monetary damage.  So now,  you're at the point of causing actual financial hardship to someone on purpose, no matter how you look at it, and the associated ethics start coming into play.

tldr. The line between what is “real” and what “isn’t real” is getting blurrier all the time as we become increasingly digitally focused. Damaging digital assets will soon likely lead to “real” harm as games and online presence (avatars etc) become more and more integrated and central to our social lives and we move more of our existence onto the digital plane.

On 3/10/2021 at 7:11 PM, Fra119 said:

And this, my friend, is the reason why I play solo xD

I've soloed this game since the very beginning! As I said before, this is nothing but a communist game! How can you join an org if nobody here has a system that is equitable to the individual members? Orgs exist to benefit the members, not to benefit the org (which does not physically exists), all in the end, only benefitting the people who holds power and control within that org. You know, I am not stupid!

I will stand by my statement as I've been saying before: organizations in this game are pieces of garbage!

Let's think of a simple example:

3 people decide to start a business; to start a business, you need an infrastructure (this infrastructure costed $300K total in which each person put $100K each, which means each person put 33.33%); the total operating cost to the business let's say is $120k yearly; person A puts the 60K (50%), person B puts 40K (33.33%), person C puts $20K (16.67%) to cover all the yearly expenses (this includes labour); let's say the net income of the business is $60k at the end of the fiscal period after the tax (if there is tax). 

Person A should get 50% of that income which is $30,000.

Person B should get 33.33% of that income which is $19,998.

Person C should get 16.67% of that income which is $10,002.

Let's say they decide to quit and liquidate the property. Let's say the property is now worth $250K currently. Since each person put 33.33%, they each should get $83,325.

The finance in this business has to be accounted to avoid internal corruption. Financial stakes should be distributed properly and how can you do this if you don't have any accounting? We are all working together, we are all contributors to the organization, but at the end of the day, we want what is fair for us individual members! What rightfully belongs to me, belongs to me!

This is why we even need contract on top of the accounting to assert my rights. Since we got no justice system, a non-legally binding MOU will do, stating my share in the organization (I will not even invest without going through an MOU first). If they decide to cheat me, I will call them out in the public with my documents. Do something like that and you should lose reputation. Reputation is important to anything mutual such as business.

I'm not saying not to join an org, but you should join an org with the mindset that you are an individual. What ends up happening is people join these "hacienda" orgs as slave labourers to these "hacendados". This is what Dual Universe is: it is a neo-colonial hacienda-building telenovela!

2 hours ago, Eternal said:

I've soloed this game since the very beginning! As I said before, this is nothing but a communist game! How can you join an org if nobody here has a system that is equitable to the individual members? Orgs exist to benefit the members, not to benefit the org (which does not physically exists), all in the end, only benefitting the people who holds power and control within that org. You know, I am not stupid!

I will stand by my statement as I've been saying before: organizations in this game are pieces of garbage!

Let's think of a simple example:

3 people decide to start a business; to start a business, you need an infrastructure (this infrastructure costed $300K total in which each person put $100K each, which means each person put 33.33%); the total operating cost to the business let's say is $120k yearly; person A puts the 60K (50%), person B puts 40K (33.33%), person C puts $20K (16.67%) to cover all the yearly expenses (this includes labour); let's say the net income of the business is $60k at the end of the fiscal period after the tax (if there is tax). 

Person A should get 50% of that income which is $30,000.

Person B should get 33.33% of that income which is $19,998.

Person C should get 16.67% of that income which is $10,002.

Let's say they decide to quit and liquidate the property. Let's say the property is now worth $250K currently. Since each person put 33.33%, they each should get $83,325.

The finance in this business has to be accounted to avoid internal corruption. Financial stakes should be distributed properly and how can you do this if you don't have any accounting? We are all working together, we are all contributors to the organization, but at the end of the day, we want what is fair for us individual members! What rightfully belongs to me, belongs to me!

This is why we even need contract on top of the accounting to assert my rights. Since we got no justice system, a non-legally binding MOU will do, stating my share in the organization (I will not even invest without going through an MOU first). If they decide to cheat me, I will call them out in the public with my documents. Do something like that and you should lose reputation. Reputation is important to anything mutual such as business.

I'm not saying not to join an org, but you should join an org with the mindset that you are an individual. What ends up happening is people join these "hacienda" orgs as slave labourers to these "hacendados". This is what Dual Universe is: it is a neo-colonial hacienda-building telenovela!

Not gonna even try and look up any of those words.
xD

Seriously though, if the game allowed it, it could have organizations set up salaries, now that org wallets will be a thing, so that it's less communist for those solo players. Anyways, solo play can still be a thing. I develop stuff solo and then "sell it" to the org. But since I don't care about money in the slightest, I keep ownership and just provide my services for free when they need it.

7 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

When you stole billions @Lethys did you, too, purposefully garner the trust of people around you getting them to rely on you and believe that you were their friend? Did you nurture that relationship with them with the express purpose of taking it all away from them? Did you even go so far as to use out of game chat and social tools to strike up friendships with them, like discord or teamspeak? 

did you ever discuss things such as music and movies to find out their interests and further the ruse? Did you ever joke and laugh about things while they were maybe having a drink at the same time?

Or did you solely and exclusively do it as part of the game, knowing you brought them enjoyment  and entertainment within the context of the game and that after you did that to them they laughed and chuckled about it that evening down the pub? Nothing personal...

When these games run for years, there’s more at stake for people than just the game. 

With many MMOs providing an online experience akin to chat rooms and Facebook in lieu of physically interacting with “real” friends in the “real” world, many people make social and personal connections with people in game and create what can amount to true friendships.

The fact of the matter is that the difference and inherent distinction between “in game” and “in real life” is starting to become less and less clear cut as we move to an increasingly digital lifestyle. At what point does reality really end and fantasy actually start? It's far more blurred than it has ever been.

Did all that and did also cry with them when a father died or when someone got divorced. Laughed hard with all of them in teamspeak. Befriended them and drank lots and lots of beer.... and one day, when time was right, I stole everything they had

Sure they were pissed at first and they hunted me. Killed me lots of times and got some good loot, but it was never toxic - it was a game in a game. I was solo in a wormhole that time so I was a vagabond. Find my stuff in wormhole space, besiege me and take it all back was their game for some weeks. And it was hilarious, thrilling and really really funny. Stayed in their TS for that too. 

Memes were shared, shit was talked and it was good fun.

One day the leader talked to me and needed help, their c5 was under attack from russians. I had good contracts because I sold T3 cruisers at that time too, which were hard to produce. So I batphoned my allies, brought my 2 deadspace carriers to their homeworld (slow af and they could've easily killed both but didn't) and we all fought the russians together. Lost one carrier but we were victorious. The battle lasted  hours and I came late for work but it was exciting and good fun.

After that they let go of their gripes and we continued playing eve, each their own game but still connected through TS. I helped them defend and attack stuff, they helped defend my stuff

And guess what? I still talk to them to this day, we still have fun in TS and we still drink lots of beer. Because everyone is a good champ and I did smth in a friggin game 15 years ago. Right after the heist was the marriage of a FC I knew well - I drove there for 6h and partied hard with all of them and cried at the ceremony. Because the heist has nothing to do with RL 

It's a matter of Perspective and dignity. It's nothing personal when I did this and I told them that everything we talked was real and honest. I never lied considering my RL and I really enjoyed all the time we spent together. 

In that regard the eve community will always be superior to this one (at least the one when I played). They know its a game and don't give a fuck