Voxel Design your own Weapons

Context

Ok so I feel this idea that's been in my head for a while needs to come out sooner rather than later in case NQ picks this up and makes it their own by making it better than what I even have here.

General Idea: Work station which we can use to "design" handheld weapons.

More detail: In game we won't have a bunch of generic weapon types that only NQ actually comes up with. NQ gives us the parts to the weapons and we use those parts to make our weapons...with voxels, but in the design tool the granularity of the voxel size is smaller. functionally we would need to produce the sub parts (same as we would likely need to do before), but now we would also need the voxels based on the design. Thus, fancier designs require a greater range of voxel inputs, or expensive inputs (ie, golden gun not as easily mass produced). We would still need NPC bought for the component parts, but now we would have our own "weapon blueprints".

I think anyone who wants to be a small arms dealer would agree with me being able to design your own unique weapons would be nice.

Also it would allow people to make niche weapons. For example, if you don't mind being slowed down by the weight of 30 extra kg of energy packs, and not being able to move the weapon around quick, but you don't have to reload for a whole minute... you can, probably won't be optimal, but you do you.

Diverse combat meta.

This idea could actually be an incredibly useful way to add either new elements or element skins to the game as well as the originally mentioned hand-held hardware.

Players could have their avatar shunted in to a private zone (or possibly shared with other selected players?) in a way similar to how tutorials put them in a private space where the can work on a substantially scaled up version of the item or skin they are working on (thus permitting both the use of pre-existing voxel tools, and fine detail-work that can be difficult or impossible when the scale gets small enough). 

-The addition of an actual-size model on a "mannequin avatar" in the same space that mirrors the model being worked on could then be included to help ensure player-hardware that is being designed looks as it should, while an actual-size model of an element skin could serve the same feature for skin design.

The resulting creations could then either produce a schematic as Context suggested, or be submitted to NQ for review (and/or the player-base at large for voting on what they want NQ to consider rendering as a regular element).

Woof, talk about server lag!  That sounds sooo awesome, but in this system you'd be overloading the stack in a heeeavy way.  I think that's a GREAT idea but it would not work well in this game.  At least not for another 5-10 years when tech for processing power could catch up to that cool idea, and even then the game would've had to have been built around that concept from its inception.

Then again, I guess you could do the "build it by part" system that the engine for Borderlands used.  Just stat modifiers and some event modifiers with graphical adaptations on a defined skeletal mesh....

I suppose as long as you're just doing part mods, it really could work.  But the ping inconsistency in this game makes the idea of Avatar-based PVP combat almost laughable.  However some Cybertank combat....hmm.......

Would it though... if it did then a wouldn't a single S core ship break the whole server? A single S core ship has about the same number of elements and voxels as about 30 personal firearms and personal firearms can only be deployed in your hands. So I say no...you have literally, absolutely no idea what your talking about. The game actually is built around this concept: see ships, building, factories, etc...for examples.

The original idea came from the fact that, the space ships are customizable, your fighter plane atmo-only vehicles are fully customizable, your tanks are fully customizable, your hardened bunkers are fully customizable, why not your hand held weapons.