naunet stepping down, my fairwells to a great CM

ELX987

Just because a CM leaves doesn't mean the game is dying.  How many CMs has  CCP been through for EVE?  How many CMs has WOW been through?  How many CMs has Star Citizen been through?   

It is a position that is very volatile and people come and go in it and move on to other jobs.

38 minutes ago, LouHodo said:

Just because a CM leaves doesn't mean the game is dying.  How many CMs has  CCP been through for EVE?  How many CMs has WOW been through?  How many CMs has Star Citizen been through?   

It is a position that is very volatile and people come and go in it and move on to other jobs.

You're comparing triple AAA and established developers with an indie studio?

2 minutes ago, SirJohn85 said:

You're comparing triple AAA and established developers with an indie studio?

CCP wasn't a AAA developer 18 years ago when EVE was in beta and they lost one of their first CMs.  

CIG is far from a AAA developer they try to be but they have had more turnover than two game companies combined.  

Wurm Online literally lost one of its co-creators during development.  He went on to creat Minecraft.

1 minute ago, LouHodo said:

CCP wasn't a AAA developer 18 years ago when EVE was in beta and they lost one of their first CMs.  

CIG is far from a AAA developer they try to be but they have had more turnover than two game companies combined.  

Wurm Online literally lost one of its co-creators during development.  He went on to creat Minecraft.

You are comparing static games and a block based game to a procedurally generated single shard civ building game with dynamically rendered 3dmodels from the meshes people build and do it on the fly to not mess up the LOD so much. They manage to do all that with very little lag or hiccups (aside from the few exploits we have seen with the foolish concept of trusting the client too much to save their server bills).

12 minutes ago, LouHodo said:

But you do realise that NQ has lost more than one CM in the last few months? 

And the lack of support at the weekend?

And that the game designer of Eve left after 8 months, who was praised so highly in a news report?

And nearly 40% left according to the linked in statement from someone a few ago here in the forum?

1 hour ago, Snipey said:

You are comparing static games and a block based game to a procedurally generated single shard civ building game with dynamically rendered 3dmodels from the meshes people build and do it on the fly to not mess up the LOD so much. They manage to do all that with very little lag or hiccups (aside from the few exploits we have seen with the foolish concept of trusting the client too much to save their server bills).

Would you like to grasp at more straws please?  

There is no other MMO currently on the market or in development that is what DU is attempting to be.  

1 hour ago, SirJohn85 said:

But you do realise that NQ has lost more than one CM in the last few months? 

And the lack of support at the weekend?

And that the game designer of Eve left after 8 months, who was praised so highly in a news report?

And nearly 40% left according to the linked in statement from someone a few ago here in the forum?

Read what I said... I didn't say a game designer of EVE I said CM.

Just now, LouHodo said:

Read what I said... I didn't say a game designer of EVE I said CM.

You better read what I said... or did you forget NQ-Nudbrokk?

Oh? What is this? You don't know who that is? Well... it's a CM. 

Just now, SirJohn85 said:

Same goes to you pal. 

If you don't know that this was the German CM of NQ and then insinuate that I can't read, then I'll gladly play the game and show you up here, as you sometimes try to do with others.

In EVE Online they have gone through over two dozen CMs. 

CIG has gone through 4 since they switched over to Spectrum.

World of Warcraft has gone through probably a hundred. 

So..... As I said before and I will say this again.  The CM position is not a permanent position it is very fluid and volatile.  People come and go like water through a pipe.  

6 minutes ago, LouHodo said:

In EVE Online they have gone through over two dozen CMs. 

CIG has gone through 4 since they switched over to Spectrum.

World of Warcraft has gone through probably a hundred. 

So..... As I said before and I will say this again.  The CM position is not a permanent position it is very fluid and volatile.  People come and go like water through a pipe.  

I don't remember any company that had a rotation of 3-4 months in CM.

Also, WoW certainly didn't have hundreds of CMs, a company known for keeping people happily working there for 10 years and more.

On 3/10/2021 at 8:22 PM, LouHodo said:

Your message makes no point whatsoever, since both Eve and WoW both made it for more than 10 years after release haha

24 minutes ago, Cal Rouvenor said:

Your message makes no point whatsoever, since both Eve and WoW both made it for more than 10 years after release haha

I don't even remember Eve having a CM before release, just a guy from Simon and Schuster who was briefly the publisher for Eve's release.

31 minutes ago, Cal Rouvenor said:

I am saying they have lost Community Managers over time.  It doesn't mean the company is shutting down.

6 minutes ago, Haunty said:

I don't even remember Eve having a CM before release, just a guy from Simon and Schuster who was briefly the publisher for Eve's release.

As long as Eve has had a forum they have had a community manager.  Either as a lead moderator or an actual community manager.