GAME NEEDS PVE - Plain and Simple

DrFrigoPorco

This game needs PVE. Empyrion has PVE, and the PVE rocks. SC has PVE, and its the backbone of the game. Even Space Engineers, has PVE. PVE...is the backbone of ALL MMORPGs. This is pretty simple. PUT PVE IN! Pirates, monsters, bugs, aliens!!! Because this game otherwise, is a BUILDING GAME...nothing more. PVP does not exist, at all. Mining is boring. 

7 hours ago, FrigoPorco said:

This game needs PVE. Empyrion has PVE, and the PVE rocks. SC has PVE, and its the backbone of the game. Even Space Engineers, has PVE. PVE...is the backbone of ALL MMORPGs. This is pretty simple. PUT PVE IN! Pirates, monsters, bugs, aliens!!! Because this game otherwise, is a BUILDING GAME...nothing more. PVP does not exist, at all. Mining is boring. 

Totally agree... but the reason for not having it is that PVP is free (once you have combat mechanics) - the players provide it for you. PVE is extremely expensive - you have to develop the AI and provide server resources to run it as well as develop scripts for the NPC actions. It's not gonna happen within NQ's budget.

4 hours ago, Daphne Jones said:

Totally agree... but the reason for not having it is that PVP is free (once you have combat mechanics) - the players provide it for you. PVE is extremely expensive - you have to develop the AI and provide server resources to run it as well as develop scripts for the NPC actions. It's not gonna happen within NQ's budget.

Empyrion, who has a smaller team and less money, did it perfectly! 

IMO a major oversight by NQ is that in an MMO setting PVE is generally the root from which everything else follows. PVE content provides materials and items which feed into economy, industry, research and more. PVE is also a starting point for PVP engagements in many MMO (such as EVE) and that way not only does the PVE content provide potential content for PVP, the items that come out of PVE still pass into the game through the PVP action as the loot is still sold in most cases.

This is something that has been brought up by several of the backers many times but (quelle surprise) never got a response from NQ who seems to not understand this basic rule of MMO gameplay at all and just thinks they can drop parts of such a loop into the game.

Example is schematics.. great idea but no creative thinking attached to it by NQ, just drop the schematics in the markets sold by bots..

I've mentioned it before but this is also possible:

From scavenging and PVP players obtain damaged elements, these can be researched to "reverse engineer"  schematics. In turn these schematics can be used in "invention" through which process bigger or more efficient versions of these elements can be made into schematics. Finally by applying high tier elements and possible (ancient) items found through exploration these schematics can be upgraded to higher tier ones which produce elements with better performance and/or capabilities.

Players can choose to sell the schematics they create on the market or use them in industry themselves. PVE players go out and find the rare items and PVP players go out to find the PVE players and if they do, still bring back the rare items as loot..

so yeah.. basic MMO game loops where both PVE and PVP have a role to play and both eventually feed into the game it self.

5 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

IMO a major oversight by NQ is that in an MMO setting PVE is generally the root from which everything else follows. PVE content provides materials and items which feed into economy, industry, research and more. PVE is also a starting point for PVP engagements in many MMO (such as EVE) and that way not only does the PVE content provide potential content for PVP, the items that come out of PVE still pass into the game through the PVP action as the loot is still sold in most cases.

This is something that has been brought up by several of the backers many times but (quelle surprise) never got a response from NQ who seems to not understand this basic rule of MMO gameplay at all and just thinks they can drop parts of such a loop into the game.

Example is schematics.. great idea but no creative thinking attached to it by NQ, just drop the schematics in the markets sold by bots..

I've mentioned it before but this is also possible:

From scavenging and PVP players obtain damaged elements, these can be researched to "reverse engineer"  schematics. In turn these schematics can be used in "invention" through which process bigger or more efficient versions of these elements can be made into schematics. Finally by applying high tier elements and possible (ancient) items found through exploration these schematics can be upgraded to higher tier ones which produce elements with better performance and/or capabilities.

Players can choose to sell the schematics they create on the market or use them in industry themselves. PVE players go out and find the rare items and PVP players go out to find the PVE players and if they do, still bring back the rare items as loot..

so yeah.. basic MMO game loops where both PVE and PVP have a role to play and both eventually feed into the game it self.

Perfectly said.

I'd like to add that basic items up to M should be available, but items above that and the other qualities should be found by other players and sold on the market.

1 hour ago, Habitant said:

What about Industry ? Its kind of fun ...

It was kind of fun until 0.23. Now it's mainly grinding for schematics to make the factories running. It would have been OK if there would be some challenging gameplay behind it. But selling ores to and buying schematics from bots is one of the most boring gameplay ever.

In another space sandbox MMO I played.  The developer took the copies of every ship ever created and made those NPC ships.  Random pirates or raider attacks.  It saved him a lot of work.  Even if it was a bad design it just meant it was an easy encounter.  If it is a good design well expect a fight.

I personally am a bigger fan of just giving reason for PvP.

Strip tier 4 and above materials from inside the safe zone.  Introduce the warp interdiction mechanics I suggested in my thread on it.  And make people go out and trade, explore and fight over resources and routes.

34 minutes ago, LouHodo said:

In another space sandbox MMO I played.  The developer took the copies of every ship ever created and made those NPC ships.  Random pirates or raider attacks.  It saved him a lot of work.  Even if it was a bad design it just meant it was an easy encounter.  If it is a good design well expect a fight.

I personally am a bigger fan of just giving reason for PvP.

Strip tier 4 and above materials from inside the safe zone.  Introduce the warp interdiction mechanics I suggested in my thread on it.  And make people go out and trade, explore and fight over resources and routes.

all good ideas....because pvp needs to be fixed. 

More suggestions: 

Planet vs Planet.....3 factions in game ((Alioth, Madis, Tehdes) and 3 arkships, all in competition with one another. If you start on Alioth, you are AUTYOMATICALLY at war with the other factions. This has been done before (like in every video game ever made...) so, NQ...ARE YOU LISTENING?