Clearing abandoned junk

LouHodo

Simple suggestion.

No active sub, this means all of those beta players who played for a month then quit or any player on the free trial and quit.  After 30 days any dynamic core left on a market or unclaimed tile is open for claim by anyone.

Territories and static cores go free after 90 days. 

Don't like it keep an active sub.  

All subs are active, they don’ run out. If somebody get’s a 1 month sub, he can play on, even after that month.

So for your idea, inactive accounts would have to be a thing.

I still disagree with you anyway, crafts should just be despawned after 24h on an Aphelia tile and you can spawn them again via magic blueprint (found at nearest market) but only at the tile it was despawned.

12 hours ago, Gottchar said:

All subs are active, they don’ run out. If somebody get’s a 1 month sub, he can play on, even after that month.

I still disagree with you anyway, crafts should just be despawned after 24h on an Aphelia tile and you can spawn them again via magic blueprint (found at nearest market) but only at the tile it was despawned.

Fair enough.  

Let me ask you why should they be returned to someone who is obviously not coming back?  

2 minutes ago, LouHodo said:

who is obviously not coming back

What the definition of this "obviously not comming back"? 

When i started to play DU in the end of alpha1, i asked ppl on what do do and ppl said "containers". So my entire alpha 1 was crafting a M container. 

I was AFK for 2,3 months and i came back and used that container in alpha 2.

Was i part of your definition? 

I currently play with my alt account. It has been months since i logged in with my main one. Yet RDMS is set to allow my alt to use stuff. And my alt parks my ship in markets from time to time

Am i right now part of you definition? 

How about my org? Should me not logging in be a reason for my org to be deleted as well? 

24 minutes ago, LouHodo said:

Fair enough.  

Let me ask you why should they be returned to someone who is obviously not coming back?  

why is there a need to punish people?

There would be far more acceptance for an idea like this if nobody is being punished for not playing for some months, or having some RL coming up. If the stuff gets despawned and the blueprint is waiting for the owner when he comes back the problem is already solved.

The main issue is that we (players) have been warning NQ about this for years.......

NQ declined to not do anything about this saying that having miles of parked vehicles around markets was the technology goal. 

That alpha code was not optimized and that in beta this would not be a issue. 

We even said that even if the technology was working, it would be a pain for a player to navigate around that jungle of constructs..... 

Now we have no mechanism to prevent this and no rules about this. 

And the game forces ppl to logout parked in markets.. 

Because if ppl logout in any unclaimed hex, they can have nasty consequences.

So if they are away from their territory and need to logout safely, the market is the only territory. 

Sure this is a issue. But one NQ needs to solve with comprehensive game mechanics. Not with a quick fix like yours. 

15 minutes ago, joaocordeiro said:

Some ppl are very interested in the salvaging operations resulted from this kind of mechanisms. 

there will be proper salvaging mechanics intoduced at some point, but I think we need something that just works and is acceptable and easy to program NOW. And a proper fun mechanic later.

4 hours ago, joaocordeiro said:

What the definition of this "obviously not comming back"? 

When i started to play DU in the end of alpha1, i asked ppl on what do do and ppl said "containers". So my entire alpha 1 was crafting a M container. 

I was AFK for 2,3 months and i came back and used that container in alpha 2.

Was i part of your definition? 

I currently play with my alt account. It has been months since i logged in with my main one. Yet RDMS is set to allow my alt to use stuff. And my alt parks my ship in markets from time to time

Am i right now part of you definition? 

How about my org? Should me not logging in be a reason for my org to be deleted as well? 

Simple.

If you have shown zero activity in 90days odds are in favor of you not coming back.  And if NQ really wanted to be nice they could send you an email letting you know about your inactivity.  Not like your character is deleted your junk is just scrapped. 

4 hours ago, Gottchar said:

why is there a need to punish people?

There would be far more acceptance for an idea like this if nobody is being punished for not playing for some months, or having some RL coming up. If the stuff gets despawned and the blueprint is waiting for the owner when he comes back the problem is already solved.

LoL.

Punishment?  No not punishment, but motivation to stay active or store your stuff properly if you are going to take an extended vacation.  

It isn't hard to give access to your stuff to someone you trust.  Or just maintain an active subscription when that is implemented.  

Stop coddling people. 

6 hours ago, LouHodo said:

Punishment?  No not punishment, but motivation to stay active or store your stuff properly if you are going to take an extended vacation.  

In that case my motivation would be to quit the game and NQ wouldn't get a sub from me anymore. The motivation for this game for me is that it should be an "A PERSISTENT SINGLE-SERVER UNIVERSE". I have no problem with having a long term sub in the future. But I decide when I want to play. When I leave a construct on the market, then park it in a virtual garage, e.g. If my constructs are released for salvage work, NQ will no longer receive any money from me. It's that simple for me.

Considering that NQ's response to "could you help us remove constructs left in our city by players who have left the game?' was 'form a new org and make a new city' (does anyone disagree that that translates as 'fuck off and stop bothering us'?)... I'm pretty sure there's zero chance they'll ever address market clutter.

Boundless originally had this.  One of the first major things they added after release was storage for claims dropping/going  Unfueled.  Game is pretty much never return status for me, and it’s one that just has a box price (quit before that update).

I can’t really imagine what economics NQ is expecting for this game since returners will have to consider a 3-6 month sub on top of all their stuff being gone.

NQ quite simply put will be forced to implement quitters storage if they survive long enough to see returners log in once and quit after not finding their old stuff.  The same way that Boundless did as one of their first "respond to play stats " updates.

On 3/9/2021 at 2:33 AM, Gottchar said:

You sure?  I dont know of a single person this has happened to, everyone I know whose sub ran out can no longer play.  I know it does happen but it certainly is NOT the case it happens to everyone.

17 hours ago, DontPanic said:

In that case my motivation would be to quit the game and NQ wouldn't get a sub from me anymore. The motivation for this game for me is that it should be an "A PERSISTENT SINGLE-SERVER UNIVERSE". I have no problem with having a long term sub in the future. But I decide when I want to play. When I leave a construct on the market, then park it in a virtual garage, e.g. If my constructs are released for salvage work, NQ will no longer receive any money from me. It's that simple for me.

If you have an active sub then you have nothing to worry about.

Stop playing the victim.

1 hour ago, Moosegun said:

You sure?  I dont know of a single person this has happened to, everyone I know whose sub ran out can no longer play.  I know it does happen but it certainly is NOT the case it happens to everyone.

Players who signed up after beta release had 30days free I believe.  After that it was a recurring charge.  Of they didn't renew they are unable to access.  Alpha players have till end of beta then you have 3,6, and 12 month free subs I believe.  A few kickstarters have a few other perks.  

16 hours ago, DontPanic said:

LOL

Man what problems do you have.

I have no problems except with the victim culture and virtue signaling spineless saps that are everywhere today.

"Oh waaaah something didn't go my way!!!!".   

"Oh waaaah someone said something I didn't agree with CANCEL THEM!". 

So if you quit playing or unsubscribe to the game and your stuff is just left littered everywhere.  Why would it matter if it goes to salvage to you?  You quit.  Savvy?

What is fucking wrong with this community?  Y'all need Jesus lol.  The cringe here is just obscene.

Listen, the first guy OP dude up there had a bad take, but it came from a genuine concern and one that NQ has even addressed as a problem.  But....in this thread, some of your responses are just sooo goddamn toxic that you might as well just say them to yourself out loud because no effing way you're convincing anyone with that kind of talk, and you're  honestly going to even turn off people who may had originally thought as you did *cough cough*

But to the point...you can't just wipe someone's account for people who payed into it and who have spent time on it, just because they let their game sub lapse.  There are all kinds of reasons people may take a break:
Military Service (Which can last for a year or more depending on deployment zone and stop-loss or w/e other countries call it)

Pregnancy

New Job

Natural Disaster

Medical Problems or Hospitalization

Starting School

Financial Problems

Or any other personal reason for taking a break to focus time elsewhere

The magic blueprint idea is good, because clutter can be bad.  And I'd say give it 14 days after a sub runs out, but yeah in protected areas 12-24h whether sub is active or not (that gives people at least 1 paycheck to restart it)

This could had been a legitimate and real conversation with some possible systems that would had been good to implement, but you guys just went salty and sad like immediately.

On 3/12/2021 at 7:42 AM, Madrummer said:

What is fucking wrong with this community?  Y'all need Jesus lol.  The cringe here is just obscene.

Listen, the first guy OP dude up there had a bad take, but it came from a genuine concern and one that NQ has even addressed as a problem.  But....in this thread, some of your responses are just sooo goddamn toxic that you might as well just say them to yourself out loud because no effing way you're convincing anyone with that kind of talk, and you're  honestly going to even turn off people who may had originally thought as you did *cough cough*

But to the point...you can't just wipe someone's account for people who payed into it and who have spent time on it, just because they let their game sub lapse.  There are all kinds of reasons people may take a break:
Military Service (Which can last for a year or more depending on deployment zone and stop-loss or w/e other countries call it)

Pregnancy

New Job

Natural Disaster

Medical Problems or Hospitalization

Starting School

Financial Problems

Or any other personal reason for taking a break to focus time elsewhere

The magic blueprint idea is good, because clutter can be bad.  And I'd say give it 14 days after a sub runs out, but yeah in protected areas 12-24h whether sub is active or not (that gives people at least 1 paycheck to restart it)

This could had been a legitimate and real conversation with some possible systems that would had been good to implement, but you guys just went salty and sad like immediately.

Fair enough response.   Perhaps even compacting the ship and putting it in their market terminal it is located at till they pick it up.

On 3/12/2021 at 9:42 PM, Madrummer said:

What is fucking wrong with this community?  Y'all need Jesus lol. 

Yeah, no. Please keep IRL superstitions out of game forums for a start. 

telling people they are toxic literally straight after a profanity and then suggesting they need one specific member from of the pantheon of deities in their life is right up there in the periodic table next to irony.

I honestly don’t see why they can’t just compact players’ stuff after a few days if it’s on an aphelia tile, and allow them to redeploy it if they ever come back to the same tile.

Unless I’m missing something obvious, that seems like a watertight/non-abusable system. 

That would help with MP clutter for a start. 

90 days does seem the short end of reasonable for assets in private hexes.  Netflix Japan gives their customers 10 months before wiping ratings, favorites and comments etc. 

maybe a nice, round year before cores go brown and rusty and territory markers evaporate…

Selecting a suitable time period is a difficult and nuanced problem for sure.  But at least market clutter could be handled easily if they were so inclined. 

On 3/15/2021 at 9:12 PM, GraXXoR said:

telling people they are toxic literally straight after a profanity and then suggesting they need one specific member from of the pantheon of deities in their life is right up there in the periodic table next to irony.

I honestly don’t see why they can’t just compact players’ stuff after a few days if it’s on an aphelia tile, and allow them to redeploy it if they ever come back to the same tile.

Unless I’m missing something obvious, that seems like a watertight/non-abusable system. 

That would help with MP clutter for a start. 

90 days does seem the short end of reasonable for assets in private hexes.  Netflix Japan gives their customers 10 months before wiping ratings, favorites and comments etc. 

maybe a nice, round year before cores go brown and rusty and territory markers evaporate…

Selecting a suitable time period is a difficult and nuanced problem for sure.  But at least market clutter could be handled easily if they were so inclined. 

Even EVE Online doesn't leave your stations in space for a year after you quit playing.  If you don't have the fuel or the upkeep for them they go vulnerable and the. Fade into history if they are in high sec, and in low sec or null sec they are destroyed long before.

On 3/15/2021 at 9:12 PM, GraXXoR said:

HAHAHA ohh damn man, we got a real killjoy here.
I'm not a Southern Baptist or an old black lady.  The saying "Y'all need Jesus!," is like an almost 100 year-old meme in the USA.  I don't know if anyone's said it seriously since the 1950s.  It's a comical saying, but I guess... r/woooooosh

Sorry if it triggered you in some way, I was just trying to disarm with sarcastic comedy.  I see I failed miserably.

4 hours ago, Madrummer said:

HAHAHA ohh damn man, we got a real killjoy here.
I'm not a Southern Baptist or an old black lady.  The saying "Y'all need Jesus!," is like an almost 100 year-old meme in the USA.  I don't know if anyone's said it seriously since the 1950s.  It's a comical saying, but I guess... r/woooooosh

Sorry if it triggered you in some way, I was just trying to disarm with sarcastic comedy.  I see I failed miserably.

No not triggered. Takes a looot to trigger an old fart like me. 

It’s just you of all people calling other people toxic the way you did was funny, that’s all.