Warp interdiction field suggestion

LouHodo

So myself and a couple of players were talking in discord about the possibility of a warp interdiction module.  How it would work, how expensive it would be and what you could put it on.   

So the suggestion goes like this.

Warp interdiction module can only go on medium, large and XL space cores, not on dynamic or static cores.  They can not be placed in safe zones, so no placement within 2su of a planet.  

They will come in 3 sizes. Medium, large and extra large.  

Medium- medium space core or larger to place has a 1 SU interdiction sphere around it.  

Large- large space core or larger has a 2su sphere around it.

Extra large- 4 su sphere around it and can only go on extra large space cores (when we get them).  

The interdiction will pull ships out of warp that's path crosses through the sphere, and it will drop them out half way into the sphere.  You will not be able to warp out of the sphere.  And you will have to leave the sphere and wait the pvp aggro timer before you can jump away.   But if you know where these stations are you can put together a fleet and destroy it or just go around it.  Also nothing will prevent you from going through the sphere at sunlight speeds.  

These systems will be moderately expensive to make and not something that can be easily accomplished by individuals or small orgs.  But something that a medium org or a well organized org can do.  The hard part will be defending these stations as you will not be protected by the safe zone.   

This will allow for the ability for groups to blockade a direction or even a planet if they had enough of these.  And it would give some real reason for PvP.   

I discussed this with several people even people who are not PvP oriented players.  We think this is a good well rounded suggestion for the system.   

35 minutes ago, Daphne Jones said:

Easy to avoid (by sending cheap warp scouts) and fairly high risk for the owner, but the risk is having to defend in PVP - which presumably is a goal for PVPers (not that I believe that in general). I like it.

Exactly.  It helps players generate content, and it can provide some very interesting situations.

On 3/8/2021 at 12:11 PM, Daphne Jones said:

Easy to avoid (by sending cheap warp scouts) and fairly high risk for the owner, but the risk is having to defend in PVP - which presumably is a goal for PVPers (not that I believe that in general). I like it.

The fact that space cores in PvP space are vulnerable 24/7 seems rather silly. I am a PvP enthusiast and even then it sounds completely unreasonable. Territory warfare won't work that way, why should space cores?

25 minutes ago, Musclethorpe said:

The fact that space cores in PvP space are vulnerable 24/7 seems rather silly. I am a PvP enthusiast and even then it sounds completely unreasonable. Territory warfare won't work that way, why should space cores?

I've said this since the day they were introduced, and NQ has never even mentioned them for future use in pvp. Game is pretty much dead at this point. 

1 hour ago, Musclethorpe said:

Presumably, space cores will have protection similar to territories once that mechanism is in place.

30 minutes ago, Daphne Jones said:

Presumably, space cores will have protection similar to territories once that mechanism is in place.

Sadly I wouldn't assume anything at this point. I really don't want to go back to ED, as it has glaring issues of its own, but the way this beta has gone that's where I'll be come the 29th. I'll just keep collecting a welfare check and curating my talents in hopes that a savior patch will come, as .24 is not it.

21 hours ago, Musclethorpe said:

Simple it isn't supposed to be safe 24/7 or at all.  It is a risk you are taking to put an interdiction over a large area of space.  Don't have the manpower to protect it don't place it.  

I would like to see some AI defense added because even ground bases aren't even going to be safe 24/7 if planetary warfare comes.  

14 minutes ago, LouHodo said:

Simple it isn't supposed to be safe 24/7 or at all.  It is a risk you are taking to put an interdiction over a large area of space.  Don't have the manpower to protect it don't place it.  

I would like to see some AI defense added because even ground bases aren't even going to be safe 24/7 if planetary warfare comes.  

You clearly didn't comprehend what I said. I didn't say it should be safe 24/7, I said it's silly that they are vulnerable 24/7. That is a big difference, as absolutely no one is going to be able to staff a space station all day, every single day, no matter how many personnel you have. A timer and perhaps AI defense, as you suggested, is the only reasonable way.

1 minute ago, Musclethorpe said:

You clearly didn't comprehend what I said. I didn't say it should be safe 24/7, I said it's silly that they are vulnerable 24/7. That is a big difference, as absolutely no one is going to be able to staff a space station all day, every single day, no matter how many personnel you have. A timer and perhaps AI defense, as you suggested, is the only reasonable way.

No I got what you said.  This is why I brought up the AI defense.  Which was supposed to be something that came later.   I remember that being brought up in a Q&A a while ago. 

I mean there is going to be no way to protect anyone's ground bases come territory warfare.  It will be nothing but off hour hex grabs.  

5 minutes ago, LouHodo said:

I mean there is going to be no way to protect anyone's ground bases come territory warfare.  It will be nothing but off hour hex grabs.  

To my understanding, there is going to be some sort of reflex timer to prevent this, not to mention only exterior hexes will be attackable. The is a bit of a moot point anyway, as space combat is ironically one dimensional right now and in a bad place. The cart is being fully put before the horse when discussing hex warfare.

I'm not even sure about any future prospects with the latest turn of events. Support has been gutted and the most recent community rep as steppeddown/been removed. I've been on sinking ships before and I am starting to get similar vibes. I've played the PTS and it isn't enough to turn the tide, as it stands.

1 minute ago, Musclethorpe said:

To my understanding, there is going to be some sort of reflex timer to prevent this, not to mention only exterior hexes will be attackable. The is a bit of a moot point anyway, as space combat is ironically one dimensional right now and in a bad place. The cart is being fully put before the horse when discussing hex warfare.

I'm not even sure about any future prospects with the latest turn of events. Support has been gutted and the most recent community rep as stepped/down been removed. I've been on sinking ships before and I am starting to get similar vibes. I've played the PTS and it isn't enough to turn the tide, as it stands.

Fair enough.  That's your opinion.  

The CM has nothing to do with development, it is a shame but CMs come and go in MMOs.   

If you feel the "ship is sinking" then feel free to go.  Just be kind and give someone active your stuff.

Just now, LouHodo said:

If you feel the "ship is sinking" then feel free to go.  Just be kind and give someone active your stuff.

As I said in one of my previous posts, I hold out hope. I log in to collect my welfare check and I curate my talents as needed, and I'll occasionally make tweeks to my existing ships.

I stayed with Wildstar until the end because I held out hope, as I do here. This game has the potential to be the most fun I have had to date. Coming from Elite Dangerous, the single shard persistent universe is something I need.

CM's do come and go, but it's straight up denial to think all is going well. Being an alpha backer I lose nothing by sidelining, and "giving some one my stuff" would be short sighted if by chance they course correct.

• 1 month later...