What is your ideal Atmo PvP update?

Shaman

After the 0.24 update I have a strong prediction that 0.25 will be an atmo/TW PvP update, from videos by NQ and a few hunches. In the rare scenario that I am correct, the update could be a literal game changer. If done right, It could bring a new interest in the game to both old and new players, since it would force orgs to log back in to 'defend their interests', and make the game more lively and exciting. (not to mention all the cool PvP videos that would come out of it). However, if it is done wrong, it would lead to pirates dominating the outer planets, leaving everyone stuck on Alioth until we all eventually starve from the lack of resources. 0.25 truly could either make the game 5 times better or 5 times worse.

Here are my general concerns on what could go wrong in the update:

• pirates could camp outside markets/territories and blast whoever exits
  • the outer planets would become uninhabitable with pirates raiding every territory they come across
  • nobody would be bothered / no point in territory warfare
  • builds and cities made on the outer planets would get destroyed by griefers
  • it would be too easy to attack / defend a territory

so my question is this. What would you want in an Atmo PvP update?

This is what I have come up with so far:

1. All of the outer planets are re-seeded. This time, instead of having ores scattered about in small veins and meganodes, ores (along with normal generation) can spawn in MASSIVE meganodes. and I mean MASSIVE. These 'giganodes' (every planet would have 1-10 giganodes) would take months to mine, and many months for solo miners. unlike meganodes, they should also be very easy to spot, maybe even able to be seen on the map, so that territories placed there cannot just lay low and avoid danger. If you want a peice of the giganode cake, you will have to defend it.
  2. Unclaimed territories/ territories which aren't affiliated with your orgs remain safe zones. this makes sure players cannot just camp territories. However, if another org decides to wage war on you (or vice versa) the outer sections of your/ your organisation's territories are now PvP zones. I won't go into the schemantics on how Territory Warfare will work, but as long as you cannot just bury territory units underground I would be fine with it.
  3. The defenders or territory units should have a method of automatically guarding their constructs like reinforcement timers and static construct weapons to those give smaller orgs a fighting chance and stop people from just blowing everything up when they are offline.
  4. Pacifist orgs / orgs that just want to build should have a method which stops other orgs from attacking them, while also making sure they cannot exploit it for financial gain. for example, you could configure your territory unit to enter a 'pacifist mode' where you cannot be attacked but also cannot mine ores there. This also has the upside of allowing for PvP orgs to build up their defences before mining on them. NQ could also make it so that you cannot use industry like this, so that orgs could strategically destroy manufacturing plants. However, because of the current state of industry I do not recommend this.
  5. After leaving a contested PvP territory, your ship will gain a timer where it can still be attacked, even in safe zones, for 2-5 minutes. This makes sure ships cannot just dip in and out of territories to avoid enemy fire.

I will put the final consensus on https://upvote.dualuniverse.game/.

NQ, take notes. Please be nice!

In our guild's DU channel we have discussed Atmospheric Warfare and "what may happen" almost every week (except lately for obvious reason).   Occasionally we fret about it but mostly we realize it would affect us very little.  MTI is not a pvp org.  We are mining and production org and we are incredibly good at it.  About the only thing that would change for us is instead of leaving ships on the surface as we extract meganodes we would have to come up with a more discrete extraction method.

But honestly, judging by how things look likely....I wonder if the game will even get to patch .25 at this rate.  I log in about every day for a bit and we are noticing tumbleweeds.

10 minutes ago, JohnnyTazer said:

You know someone attacking a territory in a pvp zone specifically built for territory warfare isn't a "griefer". I swear to fucking christ the dumbest mother fuckers come to these forums.

I agree with the first part.  But we need all the people we can get to show up on the forums at this point.  Place is turning into a ghost town.

Not sure if it was stated elsewhere, but to commence territory warfare, you might need to declare war. After that, a timer(one, two or more days long) will count down so people should have time to prepare to defend the territory.

It is good that pvp is currently rather pointless. Not because I dislike it, the players or whatever, but because it is a super unbalanced mess.

Before there is actually something of value to fight over, I hope the game get’s a lot of bug fixes. You are currently not able to even consistently fly next to each other, mane people have to relog to see each other.

I believe a 0.26 territory warfare update will involve claim territories having a immunity shield from pvp. You will only be able to attack a hex that has an open border or a border that neighbours a tile you own. 

Because people would try and bury their TCU’s I think a capture mechanic where attackers would place a capture unit down and this starts a timer on the Tile sheild to drop. Once dropped attackers would also have to defend the capture unit. If the capture unit is destroyed the defender win and the tile anti pvp sheild returns. If the TCU is destroyed or the capture unit is till alive after say 1 hour of fighting. The attackers win and tile ownership is transferred to them also making all static cores on the tile grey. 

I also believe the auto mining mechanics will be bundled in with the territory warfare patch.

doesn't really matter what the mechanics are or what ppl think of as balanced or good mechanics when 10 ppl shooting at someone causes heavy lag spikes. maybe they should adress server issues first and then go from there (wow, I say this for how many years now? 6?)

10 hours ago, JohnnyTazer said:

You know someone attacking a territory in a pvp zone specifically built for territory warfare isn't a "griefer". I swear to fucking christ the dumbest mother fuckers come to these forums.

Be nice dude, you really aren't helping here. Cities like freeport which are on teoma are examples of cities that could be griefed.

1 minute ago, Shaman said:

Be nice dude, you really aren't helping here. Cities like freeport which are on teoma are examples of cities that could be griefed.

You dont know what the word griefing is, so stop using it. Maybe english is your second language and if that's the case I'll ease up a bit on you. 

8 minutes ago, JohnnyTazer said:

You dont know what the word griefing is, so stop using it. Maybe english is your second language and if that's the case I'll ease up a bit on you. 

"A griefer or bad faith player is a player in a multiplayer video game who deliberately irritates and harasses other players within the game, using aspects of the game in unintended ways."

in this case, griefers would be destroying constructs not designed or intended to participate in territory warfare not for financial gain but to piss off all of the people living there.

but I digress. This post is about what you want in an Atmo PvP update, not about some loosely defined internet term.

I will make no more replies to comments in this manner on this post.

16 minutes ago, Shaman said:

in this case, griefers would be destroying constructs not designed or intended to participate in territory warfare

if such a construct is in the pvp zone, it's not griefing tho - it may be rude and it may piss ppl off but it's fair game and certainly not griefing.

2 hours ago, Lethys said:

if such a construct is in the pvp zone, it's not griefing tho - it may be rude and it may piss ppl off but it's fair game and certainly not griefing.

They're too small brain to understand simple things and concepts. It's like, "hey guys, this is NQ, we are releasing territory warfare in the outer planets!!" Player A then claims a territory in pvp zone. Player B attacks them and takes over their territory. Player A now calls player B a "griefer" because he harrassed him.  

So according to these fucking idiots, killing someone in a counter strike match is griefing.  Well ya know what, every ore you mine Is griefing because I wanted that ore. Every territory you claim in the safe zone is griefing because I wanted my base their. And so on and so forth. 

Ideal PvP update?

Crash DU to the ground in the present form, redo alot of initial development, include a less server CPU depending core. Follow the early roadmap, add all the alpha and pre alpha promises, New concept of cores that give builders more flexibility and makes a limit on a core on total build volume. Introduce coreless building for infrastructure and give ship elements the need to actually connect all together. then reintroduce all PVP elements together, defence as offence and just throw in all versions including planetary war. bring back to only safezone, sanctuary and give warp a meaning, what means more starsystems. delete scematics, introduce research for the to be build components and make mining what it should be, Not the main feature. Bring down costs to actually build stuff and with that the risk of losing in PvP is acceptable and bring back the comunity page with posts so that we can all provoce each other so wars actually break out......and not this lets make an event else we have nothing to do.

3 hours ago, Shaman said:

And they will, but not "griefed" but "ruined". To the last voxel. That's gonna be FUN.

Problem here is not people ruining them but creators that decided to build their city in zone that is well known to be PVP later on while having 0 ability to defend it.

For atmo PvP I'd like to see some diversity, I don't want the meta to be only giant flying fortress, sure those deserve a spot, but fighter too, bombers too, ground vehicles (tanks, aa, artillery) too.

For that to happen they should turn on obstruction for every element so that you can't hide everything inside a gold cube, this is atmo, not space, losing wings or brakes or a pulsar does matter, should matter, a lot.

14 hours ago, EasternGamer said:

Not sure if it was stated elsewhere, but to commence territory warfare, you might need to declare war. After that, a timer(one, two or more days long) will count down so people should have time to prepare to defend the territory.

For defense of structures, sure.  Anybody building in non-pvp space (madis, thades, alioth) should be safe and anybody building on Ion or elsewhere kinda knew what they were getting into.  But for meganodes that are TU'd?  Pointless to have a 24 hour timer.  It would have to be instant.  And if we knew a patch was coming with instant all the time pvp attacks was coming to the fringe planets then the patch would almost be pointless. I have a mind boggling amount of claimed tiles across the planets in pvp space,  all with T1-T5 meganodes,  give us more than a few days warning that such a patch was on the way and we would extract the vast majority of those resources into safe space (lol if people bothered to log in for such an event, which they might for the challenge).  If you allowed only warfare to be declared on those tiles with a 24 hour timer then those tiles would more easily be cleared out during the timer as they are declared war on.  They would be claiming worthless tiles with a TU on it and a sign with a ascii middle finger on it.  Any warning or timer on resource tiles would be meaningless (assuming people are playing).  A decent mining team can clear out a meganode within a few hours.

On 3/8/2021 at 12:11 PM, Revelcro said:

If you allowed only warfare to be declared on those tiles with a 24 hour timer then those tiles would more easily be cleared out during the timer as they are declared war on.

I have this concern about territory warfare in general. Without a timer very little will be built on pvp territories because 24 hour defense is nearly impossible for most groups. With a timer and the most valuable resource on many tiles (the ore) can just be extracted before the timer triggers.

It will be interesting to see what solution NQ comes up with.

13 minutes ago, fiddlybits said:

It will be interesting to see what solution NQ comes up with.

Well judging by the cricket noises we are hearing lately, it is not a good sign.

A player base and a game company are in a simple relationship.  Like any relationship, communication is the most important factor to keeping that relationship stable and long lasting.  For the last few weeks, communication has been one way only.    This is usually the point where at least one of the partners starts looking around for other relationships.....