DU PVP very SUS

IvanGrozniy

There was a very recent fight between AC and Boo, 12v3 or thereabouts. This is a non-exhaustive list of parties involved:

1. Boo (Blitz, HVC)
  2. AC (Atom, Hyperion)

What follows is a description of very interesting proceedings regarding the appearance of Hyperion on the battle field

1. Blitz is within 2SU of Hyperion
  2. Blitz is NOT engaging Hyperion ships, Hyperion ships are not targeting Blitz ship. Blitz is engaging  AC/Atom ships
  3. HVC reports that they are getting very bad performance fighting Hyperion (severe FPS drops down to 1 fps, gunners unable to lock targets, guns not shooting)
  4. Blitz joins Hyperion fight, Hyperion targets Blitz ship, Blitz ship starts to experience very bad performance (severe FPS drops down to 1 fps, gunners unable to lock targets, guns not shooting, engines not responding to any input), severe constant spike in pc resource usage (A Blitz member has a 256 GB of ram and 64 cores , ALL OF IT was maxed out).
  5. Blitz reports about 10 minutes of being a sitting duck unable to do anything at all, not even shoot. AC ships take off a lot of gold armor, little amounts of elements are damaged.
  6. Blitz ship floats away, all ships disengage it (Ship is going about 23,000km/h), except about 2 AC ships who tried to follow (likely desync issues?)

Several key aspects to what happened in the fight:

1. Severe and constant drop in performance was noted when Hyperion was engaging Boo ships.
  2. Atom/AC ships engaging Boo ships did not cause any drops in performance.
  3. Performance drop metrics include maxed out usage of CPU and RAM, extremely low FPS (literal slideshow, gunners not able to lock or fire weapons, engines not responding to pilot input
  4. Drop in performance was consistent, meaning that performance was low throughout the duration of Hyperion ships engaging Boo ships
  5. From what I can gather, AC/Atom ships were not experiencing the drop in performance described here
  6. On Boo side, at the time of Hyperion engagement, ALL personnel suffered the same constant drop in performance and maximum resource usage, including gunners, engineers, and pilots

There are at least 2 theories about why Hyperion ships engaging Boo ships would cause such massive and consistent drop in performance:

1. Hyperion ships are using exploits, be it Lua related or in some other form
  2. Single Shard Server errors: due to the nature of ISPs in Germany (most of Hyperion consists of German players) and the single shard server clusters, there is severe latency / connection errors / server timeouts that would cause consistent performance drops when engaging players that are from Germany

Here is what is known as key supplements to this discussion:

1. There are several DU players who are in possession of the source code to the game
  2. The last event (Namely the Star Wars event Boo crashed) exhibiting the same problems at the very end of the event when Hyperion joined in the fight, Boo ships were experiencing severe fps drops with maxed out CPU and RAM usage. From my understanding this was not happening to Atom / AC ships involved. In this particular case only Hyperion ships and Boo ships were on the field engaging each other
  3. Other Boo crews reported similar unreasonable resource usage while engaging Hyperion ships

Something to make clear, this is very much an isolated incident. Yes there is a bug where if you have 4 gunners one always misses, in this case no gunner could even lock let alone fire. To my knowledge this particular consistent drop in performance has only happened twice, in both cases Hyperion was on the field engaging Boo. 

Aforementioned Boo member with 64 cores and 256GB of RAM is currently running diagnostics to see if anything was fried.

What do you think?

The fact that posts in #server-announcements barely get 50 reactions these days should give you a sense of the state of the game and the number of players left. Now, NQ will probably disable reactions there to hide the facts.

6 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

The fact that posts in #server-announcements barely get 50 reactions these days should give you a sense of the state of the game and the number of players left. Now, NQ will probably disable reactions there to hide the facts.

I tried EvE in 2005 then once in 2007, but I never played past the trial, i was younger and drinking a lot so video games werent as much a priority.  But 2010 is when I finally played and it stuck for good.  But for as long as I remember the player count was ALWAYS on the launcher. There was no hiding how many played.  So if it was different pre-2010 feel free to let me know.  But I subscribe to the fact if you hide your numbers, they are usually bad.  Because good numbers people always want to boast about, as it keeps the snowball going.  If they had 100k people logged in at once, they would fucking shout that from the rooftops and all over every single piece of social media, and thats a straight fact.

11 minutes ago, JohnnyTazer said:

But I subscribe to the fact if you hide your numbers, they are usually bad.  

And all this "hiding" is totaly useless, because people not that stupid.

I even say all this childish trickery NQ sometimes try to pull on us is especialy cringy, because most of players here are ralativly old dudes, who seen a lot of shit in MMOs over last 20 years or more, they can do basic 1+1.

The game is in beta and weird things happen a lot.

Like Anarchy in pursuit of a freighter and who manages to immobilize it (30,000km / h to 0km / h) a few kilometers from the edge of the safe zone (happy coincidence?) When there are 3 members of crews on board and that the (armored) cargo ship received little significant damage that could hinder its proper functioning.

We all have examples of this kind.

The game is Beta and we report to NQ and let them judge that alone.

=> I think it is not useful, given the current state of the game, that we are shooting one and the others in the legs.

1 minute ago, Knight-Sevy said:

Like Anarchy in pursuit of a freighter and who manages to immobilize it (30,000km / h to 0km / h) a few kilometers from the edge of the safe zone (happy coincidence?) When there are 3 members of crews on board and that the (armored) cargo ship received little significant damage that could hinder its proper functioning.

We all have examples of this kind.

The game is Beta and we report to NQ and let them judge that alone.

=> I think it is not useful, given the current state of the game, that we are shooting one and the others in the legs.

Are you Hyperion fanboy trying to justify it again ? Where were you hiding when everyone was asking for the pilots to come forward and explain what did they see on their end ha?

Don't want to hijack this thread so just go back to the hole you came from.

Every time Hyperion gets their asses handed to them, some "beta" shit happens right?

Hi together,
This post are our thoughts to the battle from 06/07.03.2021. It caused massive problems to some players.
We from the Hyperion side had no problems with lags or something like that.
We saw that our opponents had some problems. For example one ship stopped and speeded up instantly back to 8.000km/h.
Possible problems could be:
1. Number of the elements. We saw it on our L hauler ship. With too many elements you get a lot of problems. Also with a good computer you get sometimes 10 Frames or lower.
2. Voxelmancy can make a lot of problems too. We have a space station (10-20? L cores) but only voxels and our members with high end hardware has even lags. You can even check it by yourself. VR Station “Elysium”
3. Maybe when 4-7 ships are shooting at one target, the mesh server with voxel correction are too slow and bringing lags to the players. For example each ship has 2-4 gunners and each gunner has maybe 4-6 weapons. This makes 5 ships, 3 gunners each, 5 weapons (middle value) 75 shots each cycle. Some are using slower weapons and some are using faster weapons (cycle time).
4. Maybe it has something to do with the gold voxels. They have a lot more hitpoints and could deform in different way than other honeycombs?
5. At the Star Wars Event I had enormous lags too. 5 -10 seconds after each shot wasn’t funny. I asked around and i got the tip to increase my RAM. I had 16GB, now I have 32GB. With this upgrade I had no problems during this fight.
6. I think everyone knows that DU has „at the moment“ not the best performance over all.

When you want, we can grab a cup of good old black coffee, and take a talk together. Maybe we can help to get DU better.

24 minutes ago, XKentX said:

Are you Hyperion fanboy trying to justify it again ? Where were you hiding when everyone was asking for the pilots to come forward and explain what did they see on their end ha?

Don't want to hijack this thread so just go back to the hole you came from.

Every time Hyperion gets their asses handed to them, some "beta" shit happens right?

Measure your words and don't be so salty.

No, I'm not a Hyperion fan. But to be honest, I have to confirm that I am part of AC.

I did not participate in the fight on Saturday (obligation in my real life). But I was present at the last event of Star Wars.

But I can confirm that on our coalition which fought alongside AC (ATS, HOZ & ADRA) there was no real performance problem on Saturday evening (on the 3 combat ships).

I won't speak for Hyperion. But it will seem that the problems / delay is not on purpose.

57 minutes ago, XKentX said:

Are you Hyperion fanboy trying to justify it again ?

I think its quite the opposite. 

You, without any prof and dispite the entire history of players reporting major bugs related pvp, are trying to acuse an entire org of bug exploit. 

Are there other possible reasons for this kind of issue to happen? Yes. Most of the ppl in that org are germans. Could their location, language, lag, frontend server they connect be related to this? Yes. 

But yet, you chose to acuse them.... 

In a beta(alpha). 

And when someone says "shit happens" you say he is a "fanboy" ? 

What happened to that spirit you guys have when taking down defenseless freighters? Do you care if their ships are bugged? 

Did you ever stopped your looting because "that guy's game probably bugged"??? 

Lets say that Hyperion, just for the sake of the argument. According to you(based on parenting bug exploit) for them to have any consequence, NQ need to explicitly say what kind of bug was used and give them a clear warning to not use that bug. And even after that, if that warning is placed in a sub forum, they have the excuse to say "we cant clearly find the warning". 

So, how about you STFU until you have any evidence. And just open support tickets reporting the situation...

4 hours ago, IvanGrozniy said:

There was a very recent fight between AC and Boo, 12v3 or thereabouts. This is a non-exhaustive list of parties involved:

1. Boo (Blitz, HVC)
  2. AC (Atom, Hyperion)

What follows is a description of very interesting proceedings regarding the appearance of Hyperion on the battle field

1. Blitz is within 2SU of Hyperion
  2. Blitz is NOT engaging Hyperion ships, Hyperion ships are not targeting Blitz ship. Blitz is engaging  AC/Atom ships
  3. HVC reports that they are getting very bad performance fighting Hyperion (severe FPS drops down to 1 fps, gunners unable to lock targets, guns not shooting)
  4. Blitz joins Hyperion fight, Hyperion targets Blitz ship, Blitz ship starts to experience very bad performance (severe FPS drops down to 1 fps, gunners unable to lock targets, guns not shooting, engines not responding to any input), severe constant spike in pc resource usage (A Blitz member has a 256 GB of ram and 64 cores , ALL OF IT was maxed out).
  5. Blitz reports about 10 minutes of being a sitting duck unable to do anything at all, not even shoot. AC ships take off a lot of gold armor, little amounts of elements are damaged.
  6. Blitz ship floats away, all ships disengage it (Ship is going about 23,000km/h), except about 2 AC ships who tried to follow (likely desync issues?)

Several key aspects to what happened in the fight:

1. Severe and constant drop in performance was noted when Hyperion was engaging Boo ships.
  2. Atom/AC ships engaging Boo ships did not cause any drops in performance.
  3. Performance drop metrics include maxed out usage of CPU and RAM, extremely low FPS (literal slideshow, gunners not able to lock or fire weapons, engines not responding to pilot input
  4. Drop in performance was consistent, meaning that performance was low throughout the duration of Hyperion ships engaging Boo ships
  5. From what I can gather, AC/Atom ships were not experiencing the drop in performance described here
  6. On Boo side, at the time of Hyperion engagement, ALL personnel suffered the same constant drop in performance and maximum resource usage, including gunners, engineers, and pilots

There are at least 2 theories about why Hyperion ships engaging Boo ships would cause such massive and consistent drop in performance:

1. Hyperion ships are using exploits, be it Lua related or in some other form
  2. Single Shard Server errors: due to the nature of ISPs in Germany (most of Hyperion consists of German players) and the single shard server clusters, there is severe latency / connection errors / server timeouts that would cause consistent performance drops when engaging players that are from Germany

Here is what is known as key supplements to this discussion:

1. There are several DU players who are in possession of the source code to the game
  2. The last event (Namely the Star Wars event Boo crashed) exhibiting the same problems at the very end of the event when Hyperion joined in the fight, Boo ships were experiencing severe fps drops with maxed out CPU and RAM usage. From my understanding this was not happening to Atom / AC ships involved. In this particular case only Hyperion ships and Boo ships were on the field engaging each other
  3. Other Boo crews reported similar unreasonable resource usage while engaging Hyperion ships

Something to make clear, this is very much an isolated incident. Yes there is a bug where if you have 4 gunners one always misses, in this case no gunner could even lock let alone fire. To my knowledge this particular consistent drop in performance has only happened twice, in both cases Hyperion was on the field engaging Boo. 

Aforementioned Boo member with 64 cores and 256GB of RAM is currently running diagnostics to see if anything was fried.

What do you think?

I think you describe it very well. As copper said, we dont know why you guys have such problems, but together with NQ we can try to analyze it. We should test this further on PTS.. But ofc until this is confirmed we will use our ships to fight you guys. 

We had many fights with our ships, even against non-BOO orgs and nobody had such problems. Even a "training" within our alliance.. and nobody got such problems..  So maybe you are right.. Germany is the problem. (Like many german players need a VPN to play/install the game)

1 hour ago, Knight-Sevy said:

The "weird things that happen a lot" seen throughout the game really should no longer be an issue in a beta development state of a game. These should be resolved during Alpha with maybe balancing left for beta.

But anyone who has an objective view on this, as well as knows and accepts the industry standard definition for this, understands that DU is in fact far, far removed from being a game in beta state of development.

One thing I would like to add to the discussion is that it’s a rather known issue that when a ship starts taking a lot of voxel damage the game lags for that person involved.

Also note we out numbered boo by quite a lot and had a lot of ships/gunners in the fleet.

When the ac fleet first was entering the pvp zone the very first ship in range was a HVC ship which most of the fleet started shooting at once as we flew by, 10 ish ships shooting at once on one target, the first reported bit of lag.

Next when we started moving deeper in the pvp zone we ran into a second target, the blitz ship. We free engaged the few ships and after chasing HVC off the field we had 11? Ships shooting a single massive blitz gold ship at once.

I believe the issue you guys experienced was just how many more ships we had all shooting just a few targets causing the lag. 

Sorry you guys had issues and ultimately I hope nq look into it. We were happy for the fight though regardless 

We did a test once and found the following:

Ship A: 1 person in M-core cube of silicon

Ship B: 4 gunners, 6 lasers each.

So the fun part is when all the gunners of ship B fire on ship A, person sitting on it downloads at about 100mbit/s. Like it downloads the damage to the voxels...

We then capped the download speed of person on ship A to 5mbit (using router cap). The guy was still downloading his damage about 5 minutes after we stopped firing seeing his cube becomes more and more damaged with time.... We now have that meme in our org: "download your damage".

I can only guess how much bandwidth is required when 11 ships fire on 1.

I hope NQ get enough $ from subs to pay for their network bills. 1 fleet fight is like what, couple of petabytes ?

42 minutes ago, XKentX said:

We did a test once and found the following:

Ship A: 1 person in M-core cube of silicon

Ship B: 4 gunners, 6 lasers each.

So the fun part is when all the gunners of ship B fire on ship A, person sitting on it downloads at about 100mbit/s. Like it downloads the damage to the voxels...

We then capped the download speed of person on ship A to 5mbit (using router cap). The guy was still downloading his damage about 5 minutes after we stopped firing seeing his cube becomes more and more damaged with time.... We now have that meme in our org: "download your damage".

I can only guess how much bandwidth is required when 11 ships fire on 1.

I hope NQ get enough $ from subs to pay for their network bills. 1 fleet fight is like what, couple of petabytes ?

Long time ago I measured dl speeds when just standing on alioth, doing nothing. Over the course of 8h du needed 5mb/sec. Constantly. That's 100% of my speed, for standing around. Glorious game indeed! Bring those million of players in please, I'll just laugh my ass off when DU can't even properly simulate 10 ppl