How did you become interested in this game?

aliensalmon

I first heard about this game on a Second Life forum. I've always been interested in virtual worlds like Second Life and IMVU, and I've also played my fair share of MMOs (although I tend to prefer eastern MMOs like MapleStory over Western ones such as World of Warcraft). Many people described this game as "Second Life in a space sci-fi setting" and I thought that this concept was interesting.

I've also always been a fan of sci-fi, and given the fact that most MMOs are medieval fantasy-based, this game seemed to be a refreshing change of pace.

I started following DU at the time that YouTuber said the voxel models were all fake. Then JC gave that guy a tour.

In fact, despite saying "fake", it was that YouTuber that introduced me to DU.

I kept following videos up until alpha 1 started, with regular supporter packs being available in DU.

I started to play at the end of alpha 1.

I was specifically looking for something that would last, I'm pretty used to sandboxes, usually you start a new game, enjoy it for a couple weeks until you have everything, quit and then come back after a few months. In the process of looking for something different/new I found this, it was still in alpha tho, once beta started I decided to give it a shot and as I'm not a teenager/student anymore I found that despite its immaturity it has the perfect pace for me.

At first i was just curious about the technic behind the server. So i subscibted to the DU youtube and followed it a bit at the very begin of DU.
But i never really expected that it will be more then a "minecraft-creative mode" in space.

But then a bit later i realized that it actually becomes a quite complex game so i joined alpha 3.
And now its alot more then i ever have expected a game could be.

Well, after the failure of Revelation Online, I had to look for another next-big-thing. Bless Online wasn't that thing as it is far worse than RO. This is when kickstarter MMOs are emerging; promising more innovation, traditional system, quality-orientation, and equitable gameplay than what the AAA's have given us in the past and are willing to give us. If the AAA's are not willing to give us what we want, then it is time for me to stop doing business with them, and help fund the MMO that most resemble what I'm looking for. This is when I turned to Kickstarter; which none have yet to turn successful; in conclusion, it doesn't have the ability to save the genre.

3 hours ago, aliensalmon said:

I've also played my fair share of MMOs (although I tend to prefer eastern MMOs like MapleStory over Western ones such as World of Warcraft)

As an ethnic Asian, I prefer Eastern MMOs as well mainly due to the aesthetics, OSTs/BGMs, and demography of the community. It feels more relatable to me and I find it more appealing.

My favorite MMOs are:

1. Final Fantasy XI (level 75 cap, no trust system) 
  2. Ragnarok Online (classic, pre-trans, 99/50)
  3. Maplestory (pre-BB, only adventurer class with pirates)
  4. Trickster Online (official)

Playing Elite and Star Citizenbut they lacked any creative input form the players because there is no building only parts customization. 
then played  NMS, loved the base building but soon maxed it out with a large base and the game started to break. So I wanted to be able to create like in NMS but with more rigorous physics and less fantasy/aliens, less limits and more collaboration. 

I was avid minecrafter before, but after years started to feel kinda "limited" by primitive blocky existence. Also, always wanted to try EVE-like MMO (politics/mega-wars and all this), but time and time hesitated because of "too late late to start" thoughs.

Found DU fooling around on KS. I lurked hard from 2016, but backed only in 2020, because of serious doubts over viability of project.

Likely it was bad bet, but community is great, made some new friends do to stuff beyond DU (in worst case).

Chris Roberts recommended the DU kickstarter to Star Citizen backers in an email and post on the SC site. I checked it out. I wasn't sure I would like the game very much, but was sure it deserved to get off the ground and get made, so I supported it at a moderate level. Turns out I like the game much better than I expected. Being able to have any space ship I want if I can figure out how to build it, is a big seller for me.

3 minutes ago, Daphne Jones said:

Chris Roberts recommended the DU kickstarter to Star Citizen backers in an email and post on the SC site. I checked it out. I wasn't sure I would like the game very much, but was sure it deserved to get off the ground and get made, so I supported it at a moderate level. Turns out I like the game much better than I expected. Being able to have any space ship I want if I can figure out how to build it, is a big seller for me.

Now I think about it, you’re right. It was one of his letters from the chairman where he recommended this exciting looking new start-up kick starter. Got to give credit to the bloke for giving the nod to his competition.

I was playing a lot of Space Engineers in 2016 and I was wishing an MMO game like SE existed, I even googled but didn't find anything, then in the Keen forums someone posted a link to DU.

For me I have always been a fan of sci-fi games with some form of realistic space flight.   I discovered DU back during the early days of the project, 2012-14.  I remember pledging just before the end of alpha because I had honestly forgot about it.  And to be quite frank, I have felt I got more for my money than I have out of Star Citizen.