the roleplay world in DU (question for porco, drakonus and bright)

ELX987

a poll about roleplay  

17 members have voted

1. 1. is roleplay in a healthy space right now

• yes
    • no
    • i just watch
  2. 2. are you thinking about jumping into roleplay if you havent already

• yes
    • no
    • not sure
  3. 3. which leader in roleplay would you root for

• porco (President of alioth)
    • drakonus (dictator of alioth)
    • bright (queen of madis)

this part of the game intrigues me, i have left a poll to see how people feel about particular leaders in that space and the roleplay sphere as a whole

now, question for the 3 leaders:

if you were to pitch a piece on who you are why you roleplay, can you do that in this thread?

i will include the stories of these leaders in this thread once they come about :D

Porco:

"Thank you my good people! VOTE FOR ME!!! "

Drakonius:

**no comment yet

Bright:

**no comment yet

hope all are having a good day!

-EL X

(EDIT: SORRY FOR MISPELLED NAMES)

7 hours ago, ELX987 said:

damn, my b, who would you vote for

Well, how about "None of the above", for starters ?

I have a relatively "roleplay" activity in DU and as such, I have no inclination towards any of the egotistical figures above and do not feel I have to in order to be "RP".

(Plus my personal inclination would not go to "Leaders in Roleplay", it would go to "Roleplay in Leaders")

Not sure how this relates to RP in game.

Does the game have RP opportunity?

Currently somewhat but if NQ did some work it would be much better and possibly attract thousands who are hungry for a SciFi RP environment. A few simple additions and some more expensive on the development resources side would add a lot to that:

• Proximity voice chat
  • Character customization and an actual face
  • Moving mouths
  • Better camera system with options for character close ups and freefly for cinematics (limited range is fine here)

Will adding the above benefit the game?

In the short term, certainly. If NQ manages to trigger the interest of the RP community it will bring in player number far larger than the total player base that is active right now and there will be many RP streamers coming in to pickup on the game. 

In the long term, it would entirely depend on how NQ caters to this community and works wit them to allow their RP to grow. Knowing what we know about how NQ operates I fear this is the weak link in this respect.

How would RP impact the game?

That depends on how the player base outside of RP responds. If they even somewhat play along when an encounter with RP players groups happens the impact will be great and allow the game population and the content in game to grow. If the reaction entirely ignores RP then the RP groups will either retreat to where they can find co-operation at some level or leave the game/move on.

IMO, it would be beneficial for everyone if some effort is made to accommodate and engage with RP groups in a fun and engaging way, don't just start blasting, make it a "situation" and play it out.. And no, RP is not anti-PVP, in fact it is a big part of the RP playstyle. PVP needs to follow out of an encounter for a reason though, never just "meet and shoot"

I have no idea how the three mentioned players are or why they would be considered an RP player. Self proclaiming yourself as some sort of leader does not make your character a RP character. So it would be interesting to learn the backstory of these characters. Who are they, what drives them, where are they from, what do they consider their strength and weakness, how do they see their role in the universe.

RP is not about being perfect, powerful, strong, invincible or a despot. It is certainly not about "I am a ruthless dictator, killing everything on sight just because I am a ruthless dictator".  It is about being a character with abilities, qualities and flaws, consistently playing to those and using the opportunities and limitations these provide to tell a story. In the end RP is about stories and how these stories for each character interact and engage with other characters.

I dont have any good or bad opinion about current RP. Because there is none at least for the general population. 

As all RP pvp mods like "altis life", "gta 5 rp", etc, have it its rules, RP assumes dialog.

So, unilateral "RP" limited to a org banner, with the sole objective for having a excuse to kill someone is not RP and it a banable offense in servers with those mods above. 

About the future. I am indiferente to any future RP with the current DU support for it( players are responsible for all aspects of RP) 

I would like to see npc generated quests and npc generated ORG quests. And some RP around those quests. 

Just now, Revelcro said:

Yea basically.  Unless you are in those guilds you would have faint idea who any of them are.

If a few people didn't post the newspapers in the forum I wouldn't even know who they were.  :D

51 minutes ago, ELX987 said:

I listed them :) they are in the poll 

Yes. Soooooooo........ ?? What did they do? Who are they? Why should I give a damn about any of them? 

To me theyre just random dudes in a random game and like you described, they rp a bit. Ok. So what? Where's the catch?

I too rp (25 years of dnd) but always find it hilarious and awkward in mmos. 

3 hours ago, Lethys said:

Yes. Soooooooo........ ?? What did they do? Who are they? Why should I give a damn about any of them? 

To me theyre just random dudes in a random game and like you described, they rp a bit. Ok. So what? Where's the catch?

I too rp (25 years of dnd) but always find it hilarious and awkward in mmos. 

I have invited them to introduce themselves :) if they don’t that’s on them

1 minute ago, Gottchar said:

So, can you do this in the fanfiction subforum from now on?

Dont be so harsh.. 

I dont mind them having this here. Better then the never ending hyperion calculator thread. 

And its not like its blocking "usefull" forum topics, since you broke a 9 hour idle. 

As long as they understand that this is not in-game RP. 

In game RP is when you stop your attack before killing your target to say: 

"Aaaarrrrgggghhhh! Give 1m quanta to this Buccaneer or face the plank!!" 

And if the guy gives him the quanta he leaves. 

Not interested in self-styled leaders stroking their... egos.

when I make ships, they all have all the mod cons like kitchens, toilets, bedrooms etc. 

ive made hotels, offices, restaurants and other completely unnecessary things that make the place feel more real. 

that’s the extent of my roleplaying. Certainly wouldn’t root for anyone who just comes along and declares themselves a leader.