This is war (?)

le_souriceau

Probably old news for some (more informed and omnipresent) people, but was initialy quite a suprise for me...

Likely all devs discuss each other games in private and sometimes not in most prettiest ways, but public statements like this, while DU on hard spot, felt to me kinda wrong, even sparked some strange patriotic feelings, considering I'm usualy on very harsh critic side myself. Chris Roberts (being totaly not saint in many other regards) showed back then "space nerds solidarity" in critical moment of DU KS, yet for some reason FrozenByte prefering to do somewhat reverse thing.

Maybe to appease some of our grumpy refugees?

What do you think?

2 hours ago, blazemonger said:

I'll reserve my right to comment for when Frozenbyte finally decides to show us their game in public.. Until then, while not wrong this is rather presumptuous and sets expectations..

Yeah easy to talk when your game is only played by 5 people. We will see if they can keep up once 10's of thousands of players are on the frozenbyte servers.

I agree with most said here.

But a quick note:

This is the 2nd topic this week directly promoting another game. One that is a direct competitor. 

I know some of you mean well. But this forum does not exist to provide "Alternatives to DU". 

If you have some feature in some game has or some decision some competitor made, it is acceptable to bring other games for reference. 

But it is not acceptable to do direct promotion of the competition. 

Keep this in mind. 

I have to agree with that poster that DU is kind of a paragon of what not to do... but the main things they're doing wrong are 1. having investors who don't really share their goals (for the game) and 2. trying to meet the investors' timeline. Everything else falls out as a consequence of those. (And it would have been really hard to avoid those two errors.)

But that said, it's very rude for an outside game dev to say that in public. Hope it doesn't get her blackballed from future employment lol.

It does make me less likely to try Starbase. 

1 hour ago, joaocordeiro said:

This is the 2nd topic this week directly promoting another game. One that is a direct competitor. 

Except it is not..

It is discussing what a community manager/representative for another game is saying about DU on their Discord..

I'd say it's fair game

12 minutes ago, Daphne Jones said:

I have to agree with that poster that DU is kind of a paragon of what not to do... but the main things they're doing wrong are 1. having investors who don't really share their goals (for the game) and 2. trying to meet the investors' timeline.

NQ thought they could bring the game to release with the money of backers and investors. They were wrong as they grossly underestimated the task at hand and overvalued their ability to complete this task.

Reality and the bottom of the money barrel caught up with NQ

and so, here we are..

2 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

Except it is not..

It is discussing what a community manager/representative for another game is saying about DU on their Discord..

I'd say it's fair game

It's very subjective.

Malicious members can use all sorts of excuses to promote stuff.

There are lines if commenting where we can stay on the "du" side. Other lines we are promoting another game.

Do the comments you want, but as I said "keep that in mind"

I really could have said that in a nicer tone, my sincere apologies!

I tried to express that you guys actually discuss issues and mechanics in a way that it has really helped me to see where to steer Starbase. The pitfalls is a general statement of our genre, not solely aimed on DU. But there's no excuses, I really was a jerk there.

I hope you guys keep on the good discussion despite all the annoying lurkers ?

32 minutes ago, LauriFB said:

I really could have said that in a nicer tone, my sincere apologies!

I tried to express that you guys actually discuss issues and mechanics in a way that it has really helped me to see where to steer Starbase. The pitfalls is a general statement of our genre, not solely aimed on DU. But there's no excuses, I really was a jerk there.

I hope you guys keep on the good discussion despite all the annoying lurkers ?

Nothing wrong with lurking and gaining insight from other companies within the industry in my opinion, everyone just wants to make the best game they can at the end of the day. Also nice of you to pop by Lauri ?

1 hour ago, Daphne Jones said:

I have to agree with that poster that DU is kind of a paragon of what not to do... but the main things they're doing wrong are 1. having investors who don't really share their goals (for the game) and 2. trying to meet the investors' timeline. Everything else falls out as a consequence of those. (And it would have been really hard to avoid those two errors.)

yeah but it was absurd for investors to throw $20+million behind a first-time dev with no experience to begin with...

NQ had plenty of time and money to deliver a basic premise. the fact that investors let them stay in closed alpha for so long (to me) says they were fairly patient and reasonable with timelines. Yeah they pushed them to become revenue generating after ~6 years of "closed alpha" because they would have stayed in closed alpha forever otherwise. 

i don't think it is fair to say that DU's issue is "unreasonable timelines" or investors "not getting them" -- that investors jumped into a game dev with no track record for that sum is already enormously benevolent. DU isn't going to become stable no matter how long they spend on it -- it's a big house of sand built on sand piled atop more sand.

As for the OP...i don't think it was needlessly harsh or mocking. DU is a textbook "don't do this" case of game dev from top to bottom. They acknowledge that the mistakes made aren't easy things to avoid. Not like they are supposed to be warm fuzzy friends -- they are rival companies. Not like NQ is so innocent and needs to be defended. 

The problem is, the investors left and took their loss. When NQ could not deliver on their pitch and had to push out release by (at least) another year, there was no round B and the investor money was gone.

NQ tried to sell their server tech as their asset, with DU as the proof of concept. Both fell behind to the point where it remains to be seen if and when they will eventually achieve their objective. The investors I am sure were never interested in the game. And as NQ failed to deliver they did not take their option to do another round and put more money in the company.

The group(s) that invested are of the kind where they have a portfolio of many startup investments and expect a high percentage of those to fail with the remaining ones to provide a ROI which covers their losses on the failures. Generally these investors will just walk away if their prospects on a ROI diminish significantly and/or the startup fails to deliver on their promise/pitch.

56 minutes ago, joaocordeiro said:

You mean, you hope this community keeps promoting your game despite ppl saying this is not the correct place to do it?

No, you say it's not correct. Oh wait, you just said "keep this in mind"

Everyone else thinks it's fine to talk about what other ppl said about du