This is how ...

blazemonger

Dealing with exploits 101 .. NQPlease take notes here.. 

Exploit Notification – Abyssal Siege Module | EVE Online

1. Clearly state you know

2. Clearly declare an exploit

3. Clearly instruct to not use the exploit

4. Clearly suggest pre-emptive owning up to using the exploit to soften/prevent punitive action being taken

CCP posts such notes on forums and Twitter as their main two communication channels they are rather clear about expecting players to follow to be aware of announcements like this

The keywords here being _clear_ and _communication_

Now I _know_ CCP has data that shows them everything that happens in detail, upto when a player presses a button so they know precisely who uses the exploit and when. I do not expect NQ to have such deep telemetry (yet) but they will need to get there eventually.

4 hours ago, blazemonger said:

Dealing with exploits 101 .. NQPlease take notes here.. 

Exploit Notification – Abyssal Siege Module | EVE Online

1. Clearly state you know

2. Clearly declare an exploit

3. Clearly instruct to not use the exploit

4. Clearly suggest pre-emptive owning up to using the exploit to soften/prevent punitive action being taken

CCP posts such notes on forums and Twitter as their main two communication channels they are rather clear about expecting players to follow to be aware of announcements like this

The keywords here being _clear_ and _communication_

Now I _know_ CCP has data that shows them everything that happens in detail, upto when a player presses a button so they know precisely who uses the exploit and when. I do not expect NQ to have such deep telemetry (yet) but they will need to get there eventually.

absolutely needed that NQ start being more transparent, especially with things like being aware of things that can damage the game, as well as they are working to fix the exploit/bug.

If NQ looks to model off eve, they should try doing support stuff more like eve, this being an example of that.

21 minutes ago, XKentX said:

You will now get flamed with "Take your eve crap out of here" replies..

anyone who does that is in a love-hate relationship with both eve and DU, they cant deny it XD

1 hour ago, XKentX said:

You will now get flamed with "Take your eve crap out of here" replies..

Oh, I do not doubt it. Does not do anything to discard that anyone thinking or saying that does not get that this has nothing to do with EVE actually, it has to do with how a live service game developer IMO should deal with exploits. But you know that and I know that you know that I know that you know so we're good ..  ;) 

1 hour ago, ELX987 said:

anyone who does that is in a love-hate relationship with both eve and DU, they cant deny it XD

True.. very true

I absolutely am in a love-hate relationship with DU right now. EVE, I log into now and then.. look around and log back out.. I hope to get back to DU again but do not see me getting back into EVE..

Now, I have work to do in Valheim ;)

3 hours ago, blazemonger said:

Now, I have work to do in Valheim ;)

probably against the rules, but fuck it....Valheim is fantastic. 

shows how important it is to have a quality game design and experience, not jumping into your first ever game project with no plan and no vision. 

they spent half as long making Valheim with 1/10th as many people...and will probably sell 10x as many copies as DU will ever have players. I get that it is exceptional, but really drives home how bad NQ is at game dev, haha. 

18 minutes ago, ShippyLongstalking said:

they spent half as long making Valheim with 1/10th as many people...and will probably sell 10x as many copies as DU will ever have players. I get that it is exceptional, but really drives home how bad NQ is at game dev, haha. 

I play dyson sphere program atm, 5 devs.  it's an awesome game so far. 

And I never ever played such games before, but love it nonetheless. Go figure 

1 hour ago, ShippyLongstalking said:

and will probably sell 10x as many copies as DU will ever have players.

Will? I think we are already well past that point with Valheim sitting at well over 4M copies sold.. I doubt DU will ever manage to hit 400K players at any given time. For a game like DU hitting even 250K unique paying accounts would be a real good number. I expect NQ would love to collect €1.5M in subscription fees every month as I'd expect is is about twice their monthly operating cost.

43 minutes ago, GraXXoR said:

Good Lord!!! Look at the ratings: 24k votes and 98% positive!!!

As a "creative" type I'm going to have to give that a try!

Second best rated on steam after portal iirc. Says a lot when an ex eve player likes it

3 minutes ago, fiddlybits said:

Factorio is another great example of developer communication. The Friday Facts provide a good breakdown of what's being developed and the direction of the game. Example: https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-361

You'll laugh, but I've already made that suggestion to NQ, too, that they just tell people what they're doing every two weeks. Something like proactive communication. That was still in the mid-2020s, but you can see what they've done with it.

If you realize that Valheim pretty much started on Unity less than two years ago with a headcount of 2 it is quite astonishing what they have been able to achieve in just this time and by adding just three devs over that time.

If you go to their website and read the blogs you see how this should be done in many ways where NQ is just simply missing the ball (and frankly, the point) and it is why they sold well over 4million copies since they launched in EU less than 4 weeks ago.

NQ today is mostly staffed with marketing, support and management staff, the ratio between them and actual devs is crazy.

47 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

NQ today is mostly staffed with marketing, support and management staff, the ratio between them and actual devs is crazy.

That's the classic mistake of hiring like you have already made it big and your company is going to grow at breakneck speeds, before you even have a product.

Lot's of examples of this not working out so great. Magic Leap and Theranos for example among the more public ones.

On 2/26/2021 at 1:36 PM, Lethys said:

Second best rated on steam after portal iirc. Says a lot when an ex eve player likes it

how are you able to like this?
I uninstalled it after 20 minutes and requested a refund, because it looks like a 'click here - click there'  kind of game.
everything is  boring, may be that I  am just too depressed by DU mining , there is no fun in anything at the moment.

20 minutes ago, klobber said:

I uninstalled it after 20 minutes and requested a refund, because it looks like a 'click here - click there'  kind of game.
everything is  boring, may be that I  am just too depressed by DU mining , there is no fun in anything at the moment.

Idk, never played any such game. I like the math and Layout calculations to automate everything. 

In that regard, every game is just a "click here click there" kind of thing

5 hours ago, klobber said:

The game is very "Factorio" which certainly is not for everyone. Once you get past the tutorials it can get complex quickly..
It's certainly not for me as well, I got stuck on/in Valheim though and I can't leave that game alone for long ;) 

7 hours ago, klobber said:

If you like the concept of building a massive factory but Dyson Sphere Program is too....point-click-third-persony....check out Satisfactory. It might be more your thing as a first person title with much better immersion and some really great gameplay concepts. 

I've played way too much Satisfactory and it is the reason why I thought industry in DU was extremely crude and why i couldn't get into DSP. 

1 hour ago, blazemonger said:

The game is very "Factorio" which certainly is not for everyone. Once you get past the tutorials it can get complex quickly..
It's certainly not for me as well, I got stuck on/in Valheim though and I can't leave that game alone for long ;) 

My partner saw Valheim and was like "no i can't get into this game" -- doesn't want third person, wasn't sold on graphic style, didn't like the building system. 30-40 hours of play time later...he's 100% addicted.