[Discussion] DevBlog: Biomes Improvements and New Voxel Features

NQ-Naunet

2 hours ago, NQ-Naunet said:

We're quite curious to hear your thoughts on this one, Noveans!¬†ūüĎá

Are you looking forward to being surrounded by the luscious new sights and textures of the graphics update? How will the new voxel tools compliment your constructs? Let us know. :) 

This is amazeballs!!!! look at them trees!

39 minutes ago, Elias Villd said:

VOXEL EDIOTR when ? ūü§£

No... rotating engines when, NQ has been teasing me for two or three years now? C'mon,¬†get with the times.¬†¬†ūüĎÄ

Surprised the line delete tool wasn't a thing earlier. This actually reminds me of a kickstarter (I think) video, weren't we supposed to also be able to create voxels with soils, terraforming and whatnot?

Voxel tools -- good! 

Yet new trees and rocks... questionable.

1) New objects not help current "bioms" much, because its mainly question of terrain generation logic, not some mock up trees or ocasional stone. And terrain will stay same very low-grade procedural generated pancake. Also it will have influence only on several "vegetated" planets, while most of them still be totaly featureless (even considering their barren state).

2) Its meaningless in way, that we still can't manipulate terrain artisticly (restore it), only totaly destroy, by digging into dirt. So its stay quite static and usless for more complicated building projects. 

3) Perfomance?

3 hours ago, blazemonger said:

Can we turn tree collision back on please.. And yes, I am serious..

Maybe they can get rid of all of the ships floating 800m above the surface before giving us even more things to crash into. If the trees even render before the loading screen.

FEEDBACK

The new trees and stones, well, i have to see them ingame before I can judge. Sounds good, so far.

The cone voxel shape is one of the needed new shapes. Still waiting and hoping for torus, and also for HOLLOW sphere and other hollow shapes with only 1 voxel wall thickness.

The new delete (and hopefully also COPY) looks promising.

Still needed for the upcoming new patch is a solution for the over-crowded, crash-causing markets. Something like allowing drone delivery, or BPing automatically after 15 minutes each parked ship then deleting all  voxels and elements, and restoring ship when player wants to leave. In the case of BPing, a new way need to be found for those players that want to offer services or products or who want to advertize (maybe a huge ring-shaped platform like a streetmarket around the colonizer ship memorial).

17 minutes ago, GeminiBrian said:

A cone that renders deformed

Smooth tool?

21 minutes ago, GeminiBrian said:

'new' line tool

Nothing special for you, a masterpiece for me.

As an alpha tester, you should know that Novaquark is slowly implementing new features

Terrain improvements look great, can't wait to see them in game.  The voxel improvements are just meh though.  Hard to get excited over any voxel improvements until you come up with an actual voxel editor that allows us to directly edit edges/lines/vertices ala JayleBreak's wonderful 2D Voxel Planner.

New shiny things and build tools are nice I guess, but nothing for me at all. I'd rather have Performance increase and some other pillar of the game added upon instead of building again. 

Guess .24 will be nothing too special and still not worthy of installing du again

On 2/24/2021 at 10:54 PM, NQ-Naunet said:

We're quite curious to hear your thoughts on this one, Noveans!¬†ūüĎá

Hi Naunet!

Since you guys are working on the line tool, which is a great thing, its the right time to fix it for real and make it finally a great tool

only 3 things:

so that shouldnt be too much work

- fix the huge fps drop when making large lines

- the rotation of the selection should not happen around the center of the selection, but it should rotate around one of the corners, so a rotated line can finally be aligned with the voxel grid!!! (rotated line been hazardous and dirty for too long)

- implement maybe tubular and triangular lines?

its by playing and "trying" to use it that for now this line tool appears to be a place holder

its good to make tech demos showing yeah we have a line tool to connect 2 surfaces, but in practice when really trying to use it and making clean shapes, its full of flaws

greatly looking forward all the changes

cheers

J

I love the new models and that things are going to look much better however,   these models might need to be optimized.  Compared to the normal game, I have seen huge FPS drops along with using 50% (normally 15%) of my 32 core CPU and 90% of my memory.   My system heats to 83c with double custom loop.    Of note I saw bandwidth usage of 439mBps when going near Market 7.