BOO crashed the SW pvp Event, was good fun and generated content :D

ELX987

1 minute ago, joaocordeiro said:

What about ppl not respecting this forum rules? 

All ok?

Should we start posting nudes because "if you are not comfortable seeing naked ppl you should talk to a therapist?" 

AC failed their mission. BOO accomplished their mission. PVP zone exists. Pirates exist. Complaining about it while knowing the rules of the game is basically like inviting negative comments you don’t want to hear. You’re just giving the moderators more work to do.

Just now, Taisen said:

AC failed their mission. BOO accomplished their mission. PVP zone exists. Pirates exist. Complaining about it while knowing the rules of the game is basically like inviting negative comments you don’t want to hear. You’re just giving the moderators more work to do.

No one cares about BOO or your PvP goals one way or the other. We're not complaining about PvP at all. We don't care about safezones. We don't care about AC. 

how is this a hard concept to understand...?

we're talking about pointless trash-talking and flaming that has jack-all to do with the game. it's really not a hard thing to grasp. there's plenty of other channels for teenage bullshit, stick to those. 

2 minutes ago, ShippyLongstalking said:

No one cares about BOO or your PvP goals one way or the other. We're not complaining about PvP at all. We don't care about safezones. We don't care about AC. 

how is this a hard concept to understand...?

we're talking about pointless trash-talking and flaming that has jack-all to do with the game. it's really not a hard thing to grasp. there's plenty of other channels for teenage bullshit, stick to those. 

You just described what you are currently doing. Hate to be that guy but.... Yeah... 

9 minutes ago, ShippyLongstalking said:

there's plenty of other channels for teenage bullshit

My daughter was offended by this one :P

The Best way to face this is to report and don't comment.

If you are like me, and feel the urge to comment. You need to feel your own pulse. If it's racing like you want to smack someone in the face, you should probably walk away, and later respond :)

But at the end. Turning this discussion into a "must be closed" topic, does not help anyone or the game.

If we are not able to comment in a way that will bring helpful feedback to NQ (even if its negative one). Then all of this was useless.

I made my point to NQ. Just hope devs/management can read it in the middle of the trash talk.

If any of you wants to make a point out of this, for NQ to read, direct it to them. Or at least ask other players the questions that will bring some info to NQ.

4 minutes ago, Taisen said:

I don't think anyone has reported anyone for anything that happened in game.

The discussion about moderation is basically about one person using a really shitty slur.  I don't know all the details of the whole pvp argument here, but i believe they were here complaining about BOO and that BOO was mean to them in game.

As far as i can tell BOO did nothing but roleplay as pirates and shoot at people's spaceships in the FFA PVP zone.

And in my experience BOO always keeps their salty pirate roleplay within the forum rules, when they're here.

However people want to act on Discord is up to them, and the mods there.

But there's only one official DU forums.  And no one should be made to feel unwelcome here.  

6 hours ago, ShippyLongstalking said:

If it were, there'd be...I don't know...actual moderation going on? Maybe stopping people when they call each other autistic? 

I don't know if you are referring to me or not cause there was someone doing what your saying exactly so free game there on that guy but thats not me.

If you are referring to me though, maybe they didn't moderate me because I didn't call anyone autistic.

I said you are (meaning BOO as a group) acting like an autistic kid who can't play nice with those around them, which as it is a spectrum it can mean a lot of different things but I'm sure most of you understood exactly what I was referring to for a reason. Some of you goons forget that you don't have to respond or participate in the conversation at all. Don't get involved if your soft as baby poo. Everyone loves drama.  

19 minutes ago, iNFiDeL said:

I don't know if you are referring to me or not cause there was someone doing what your saying exactly so free game there on that guy but thats not me.

I believe it is this:

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/22248-boo-ruined-the-event-to-spam-salt-memes/&do=findComment&comment=159032

And yea, this guy should get a temporary ban to rethink his stuff.

16 minutes ago, iNFiDeL said:

If you are referring to me though, maybe they didn't moderate me because I didn't call anyone autistic.

I said you are (meaning BOO as a group) acting like an autistic kid who can't play nice with those around them, which as it is a spectrum it can mean a lot of different things but I'm sure most of you understood exactly what I was referring to for a reason. Some of you goons forget that you don't have to respond or participate in the conversation at all. Don't get involved if your soft as baby poo. Everyone loves drama.  

Regardless of your excuse, calling anyone autistic on the forum breaks the rules (pretty sure but I hate reading rules). You know guys, none of this would have happened if you paid BOO to defend your event. ? the other guys would have just attacked us since they are obviously so noble. Make better decisions next time. Wanna play in PVP pay the pirates not to attack you. We will happily extort your quanta for you... or... from you? Anyways, cheers! ? 

5 hours ago, Taisen said:

Regardless of your excuse, calling anyone autistic on the forum breaks the rules (pretty sure but I hate reading rules). You know guys, none of this would have happened if you paid BOO to defend your event. ? the other guys would have just attacked us since they are obviously so noble. Make better decisions next time. Wanna play in PVP pay the pirates not to attack you. We will happily extort your quanta for you... or... from you? Anyways, cheers! ? 

Didn't call anyone autistic, said a whole lot of other stuff but not that.

4 hours ago, Mulligan said:

BOO has a real activity problem and can't seem to keep their members playing, their actual presence in space is very rare. They can field the numbers to put out a fleet every month or so.
I hope the event encourages more BOO members to play and stop resorting to discord and forum shit posting.  it would be nice have an enemy that's an actual threat.

I can agree with you on a few things here.

Yes, BOO with respect to DU has a serious activity issue because when 0.23 came along we made the choice to spread out into other games to maintain the BOO community since DU was in serious depression (in more ways than one).

Now our solution has in turn become both a blessing and a curse. Because some games that our members have trickled into have vested interests (in terms of time and money... that could've went to NQ). So returning to DU, even if it makes a comeback, will be a tough choice in where they spend their time.

The current mechanics that exist in the game:

• do not cater to Exploration in any form
  • Are poor from a PVP perspective
  • Are bugged to high hell which further pisses people off at times
  • Are incredibly imbalanced
  • Are too restrictive in ways it shouldn't be

BOO at large has not rejoined DU in massive numbers but we're watching and waiting for NQ to put up a legitimate release that makes PvP worth engaging in and makes the game actually fun.

Not some release that makes the game feel more like work and less enjoyable.

The Event did help to bring some of us back into the game... but it may be brief... who knows. Really... deep down... we're happy that the community gave us something to destroy. However, the frequency of these types of events are not enough to keep us glued to DU for longer than a week.

As other members have said, the MAIN thing we care about is PVP. To expect anything else from us would be foolish. If PVP in one game is shit then we'll leave and find PVP elsewhere.

On 2/23/2021 at 12:56 AM, Olmeca_Gold said:

... If DU was such a game [second life in space] then there would be no reason for NQ to bear the costs of a single shard seamless MMO.

By most people's standards, they're not, though... this game can barely support 1v1 currently.

On 2/24/2021 at 4:51 AM, joaocordeiro said:

Not understanding how naive was to assume players would build a civilization and fail to create mechanisms to ensure that. 

It is not possible to build civilization, Boo or no Boo. Not in this game. This is more of a working concept of mining / building mechanics rather than a game.

Civilization does not just arise because someone wants it to. There need to exist very specific selective pressures for it to happen. Currently none exist.. here's a bigger meditation on the topic:

Civilization is the organization of individuals into social bodies due to selective pressures.

A non-exhaustive list of the characteristics of civilization include: social structure and hierarchy, efficiency, work organization, supply of needs
A non-exhaustive list of the emergent properties of civilization includes: technological innovation, sociopolitical development, cultural development
A non-exhaustive list of selective pressures that create civilization include: resource shortage, non-uniform resource distribution, geography, weather, proximity to neighboring civilizations, war, dangerous environment, dangerous neighbors.

1. Geography - Geography is a huge factor in civilization building, as it affects what type of climate an area has, what type of resources are available, what fauna and flora is is generated in a specific geography. Access to rare resources and constantly in demand resources also needs to be considered. Geography affects what kind of resources a civilization can generate and has heavy influence on its technological advancements as well as culture.
    Currently, this does not exist in DU. It does not matter if you start at a base of a mountain or high up on a ridge, makes no difference if you are in the snow or on sand or underwater.
  2. Resource Distribution - Resources are not plentiful in the real world and they depend on geography. They are also not uniformly distributed. Certain kinds of resources are only found at specific geographical locations. A heavy concentration of a resource in one area may influence if a civilization can start in an area.
    Currently, this does not exist in DU. T1 ore specifically is everywhere, and while different planets have different resources above t1, they are uniformly distributed (in a sense) with no other effects other than mostly uniform randomization.

3. Danger - This is perhaps the biggest selective pressure that gives rise to social groups that then become a civilization. Dangers from neighboring tribes will force individuals to make a group for protection. Dangers from wild beast and bad weather will force people into groups in order to survive. This gives rise to iterative development of technology that then allows the group to grow bigger, which allows them to develop more complex social organizations.
    Currently, this does not exist in DU. Every planet has a safe zone around it, there are no animals, there is no weather or geographical / regional weather differences that might affect any outcomes. There is zero danger from anything other than yourself.

And on and on I can go, there is a lot here. When you want to build a civilization game, one would think you'd start thinking about first principles and go from there... you know... figure out what civilization is and what factors cause it, then try to gamify it in a way that makes sense in an mmo context, given limitations of server tech and current technologies. None of this is happening. Based on the marketing material, it seems like devs/ JC believe that civilization is cities, etc... that's not true at all.. you can build cities now but no one will use them, there's zero reason to.

It is the fault of game design or lack thereof, not the fault of the players.

1 hour ago, IvanGrozniy said:

It is not possible to build civilization, Boo or no Boo. Not in this game. This is more of a working concept of mining / building mechanics rather than a game.

Civilization does not just arise because someone wants it to. There need to exist very specific selective pressures for it to happen. Currently none exist.. here's a bigger meditation on the topic:

Civilization is the organization of individuals into social bodies due to selective pressures.

A non-exhaustive list of the characteristics of civilization include: social structure and hierarchy, efficiency, work organization, supply of needs
A non-exhaustive list of the emergent properties of civilization includes: technological innovation, sociopolitical development, cultural development
A non-exhaustive list of selective pressures that create civilization include: resource shortage, non-uniform resource distribution, geography, weather, proximity to neighboring civilizations, war, dangerous environment, dangerous neighbors.

1. Geography - Geography is a huge factor in civilization building, as it affects what type of climate an area has, what type of resources are available, what fauna and flora is is generated in a specific geography. Access to rare resources and constantly in demand resources also needs to be considered. Geography affects what kind of resources a civilization can generate and has heavy influence on its technological advancements as well as culture.
    Currently, this does not exist in DU. It does not matter if you start at a base of a mountain or high up on a ridge, makes no difference if you are in the snow or on sand or underwater.
  2. Resource Distribution - Resources are not plentiful in the real world and they depend on geography. They are also not uniformly distributed. Certain kinds of resources are only found at specific geographical locations. A heavy concentration of a resource in one area may influence if a civilization can start in an area.
    Currently, this does not exist in DU. T1 ore specifically is everywhere, and while different planets have different resources above t1, they are uniformly distributed (in a sense) with no other effects other than mostly uniform randomization.

3. Danger - This is perhaps the biggest selective pressure that gives rise to social groups that then become a civilization. Dangers from neighboring tribes will force individuals to make a group for protection. Dangers from wild beast and bad weather will force people into groups in order to survive. This gives rise to iterative development of technology that then allows the group to grow bigger, which allows them to develop more complex social organizations.
    Currently, this does not exist in DU. Every planet has a safe zone around it, there are no animals, there is no weather or geographical / regional weather differences that might affect any outcomes. There is zero danger from anything other than yourself.

And on and on I can go, there is a lot here. When you want to build a civilization game, one would think you'd start thinking about first principles and go from there... you know... figure out what civilization is and what factors cause it, then try to gamify it in a way that makes sense in an mmo context, given limitations of server tech and current technologies. None of this is happening. Based on the marketing material, it seems like devs/ JC believe that civilization is cities, etc... that's not true at all.. you can build cities now but no one will use them, there's zero reason to.

It is the fault of game design or lack thereof, not the fault of the players.

Function > Everything else. 

In extreamly condensed formula civilization development is chain of challenges and rewards.

People notice potential in river valleys and, investing crapton of labour, getting huge ammout of food as reward. Then they need better "managment" system -- here we go, writing, new rewards, new prospects open. Nearby city doing some shit -- military progress sparks, etc.

In DU context we currently simply have nor serious game mechanical challenges, nor interesting rewards. There is no stimulus to do anything together on really serious scale (beyond some mostly creative projects and interest clubs).

So we stuck in much more primitive phase, pre-civilization so to say.

37 minutes ago, Demlock said:

HAHahahahaha

I don't understand why NQ would think that ... of ALL the things A fucking Jet pack option would be the place to put their time and money into....

The

Actual

Fuck...

There are memes that write themselves. But to sum up the situation in one image:

4zqt65.jpg.48d851ae16e0e963a1c7a3b39e4f0190.jpg

I hope NQ takes something away from all the threads that have sprung up here in the meantime.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 9:54 AM, ShippyLongstalking said:

....but because many PvPers act like children. The level of hypocrisy here is just mind-numbingly stupid

elementary-school name calling and casual bigotry isn't PvP.

Speaking of hypocrisy!!! This is why you clearly don't have the skills to comprehend literally ANYTHING going on in DU! And the only thing even remotely "homophobic" was that you mentioned the term!