[Discussion] Jetpacks!

Not sure what it means to be able to Jetpack to other planets. Can we escape gravity with Jetpack?
If not, that would be an awesome feature to add an upgrade to the jetpack. 
After upgrading it to use fuel we could then jetpack up out of a mining hole, or to the top of a building.
It could work nearly like having a small pocket ship now, without the speed.

So could be used to get stranded ships hanging in air, etc.

I tried to help someone 45km above Alioth yesterday who ran out of fuel.

But as soon as I exited ship, gravity would take me back to Alioth, even though my ship could stay there with ECU on.

So the Jetpack is really weak when it comes to gravity.

2 minutes ago, Snapsis said:

Not sure what it means to be able to Jetpack to other planets. Can we escape gravity with Jetpack?

Well, one neat idea that comes from this, might be a 'safe' interplanetary travel service.  You board an automated ship in space, it accelerates toward some planet.  Before reaching the safe zone edge, it starts braking, and gives you the green light - time to jump.  And then your avatar gets to slowboat across to another planet

2 hours ago, fiddlybits said:

I like that the jetpack cannot escape gravity. It allows for unique ship designs for things like atmo/space rescue operations and entering/leaving mining tunnels. Admittedly, I usually use a res node to leave mining tunnels though.

I don't think it would take anything away from that, because it would be limited by speed.  

What is this devblog? Is the goal to destroy what little hype is left on the game? :(

Can you talk about the work you are doing for energy and balancing PvP?

Where did the asteroid arrive?

Just letting the community know how you plan to put this in place in the next few months will have a lot more impact than how the jetpack works: /

4 hours ago, blazemonger said:

but I digress

image.png.5af479723cc62536403c025d221a0579.png

4 hours ago, Snapsis said:

I tried to help someone 45km above Alioth yesterday who ran out of fuel.

But as soon as I exited ship, gravity would take me back to Alioth, even though my ship could stay there with ECU on.

So the Jetpack is really weak when it comes to gravity.

Or your ship just had better space brakes compared to your jetpack (don't forget you can brake with your jetpack by pressing CTRL, same as with constructs). It might be worth entering into build mode before jumping off since that will basically 'tether' you to your construct.

Members of Eyes & Ears Search and Rescue commonly need to use their jetpacks when crossing from their constructs to that of a victims when out in deep space and the occasional station. While I can't recall that many interesting uses jetpacking around, some of the more curious moments come about during moments of suddenness.

When jumping from core to core, the gravity adjustments as your avatar aligns can rotate you in an entirely unexpected direction. This makes me reminiscent of @Kurock's gravity maze which I did not complete because it gave me a headache. Supposedly you can complete it without the jetpack, and I'd like to know who is mad enough to attempt that.

For this second bit on jetpacking, I'm sure everyone has used their jetpack to assist in climbing up the more vertical terrain, be it mineshafts, cliff faces, etc. I think it was early alpha 1, I was on Thades and going up the side of the ravine and came across a terrain deformation. It was one of those sharper bumps of land that didn't go away no matter how much you smoothened it, still encounter those today. I jumped over it about as much as the ground would let me which was not much. I don't want to say it was a ground spike because not only did I not see it, but my (then 6700k) processer usually clears those up pretty quick.

Anyways I rapidly shot up a good three or four thousand meters and fell back down again with apparently no ground beneath me for the trip back until I was on the surface. This is the first time I'm mentioning this because I was recording my sessions at the time for future archiving (and bug reporting), the xsplit software didn't hook into the game appropriately, which does happen from time to time requiring closing out both programs and restarting them, but all I got out of it was a black screen and no audio. Was left very mad because it's interesting stuff like that I wanted to make a sort of video collage out of when testing is over. :(

Probably not a lot of jetpacking involved now that I look back, but hopefully interesting none the less.

8 hours ago, Knight-Sevy said:

What is this devblog? Is the goal to destroy what little hype is left on the game? :(

Just letting the community know how you plan to put this in place in the next few months will have a lot more impact than how the jetpack works: /

This. Couldn't care less about the jetpack. 

Also I find it disturbing that this has it's own devblog while in reality only deserves a footnote ala "oh btw, jetpacks were revamped too"

I hoped gravity consistency would be fixed at a deeper level.

- let me choose the intensity of my gravity field. I'm used to 0.3, I don't live on Alioth.

- Why does my ship have 1g gravity in orbit and suddenly 0.3g on the ground ?

- When I crash, with my ship on the side, sometimes It keeps using ship gravity, sometimes it switches to planet gravity and I'm stuck inside as the door is sideway. the transition reasons seems random.

Give us control over the gravity fields, jetpack toggle is not a solution for this.

The improvements the jetpack needs are:

- fuel (maybe just made from oxygen and hydrogen,  but lets not digress to oxygen-hydrogen needed changes to give it some value)

- toggle between pulse mode and continuous mode with balanced fuel consumption.

- remove this arbitrary altitude limit where it suddenly stops working when approaching planet, that's lazy design and as a short term minimum, display that magical altitude somewhere in the interface.

- remove the lame perma-dash that looks like a debug tool, or give it a large fuel consumption, who is even running ? I can't see it working in the future player vs player gunfight, but I'm sure you can come up with some more magical and semi-random triggers that will disable it in "PvP mode"

play space engineer for a grounded and consistent jetpack.

23 hours ago, Knight-Sevy said:

The PVP revamp and energy changes are a whopping 4-5 months out so why bother with it now, plenty of time to get these massive and vital mechanics done and implemented in time for that ..  /s

NQ does not think that far ahead.. Their focus is on the next subscription renewal period, which is end of March. Anything beyond that mostly depends on how well that renewal cycle goes in whether or not it brings in enough revenue to keep paying interest on their debt. I would not be surprised if within their company culture they'd consider thinking further ahead as pointless as they have no idea if they'll get there even.

• 1 month later...

toggle X to turn on and off the feature thats already in the game

oh and heres a spam notification while in build mode where your jetpack isnt even on anymore.

good job. thanks for the "improvement" cant wait to see what NQ decides to upgrade next