Helicopters

Daphne Jones

1 minute ago, SirJohn85 said:

Rotating and Piston elements worry me when I think of what they did in Space Engineers.

Here is an example:

The game "From the depths" has rotating and piston sub constructs. Not only that but those sub constructs can also have their own subconstructs.

Some rare times, a quick glitch happens when 2 ships colide with each other. 

But mostly it works fine. 

6 hours ago, Daphne Jones said:

In 2021, NASA landed a helicopter on Mars... 10000 years later we don't have helicopters on Alioth. Why?

You can look at the current state of the game and think to yourself.. "where are the helicopters?"  

You're that guy aren't you?... that guy that brings buns to a burning house and, with all sincerity, asks "so, who's got the hotdogs?"

smh lol

6 hours ago, Hazaatan said:

You can look at the current state of the game and think to yourself.. "where are the helicopters?"  

You're that guy aren't you?... that guy that brings buns to a burning house and, with all sincerity, asks "so, who's got the hotdogs?"

smh lol

disaster-girl.jpg

16 hours ago, Daphne Jones said:

We don't have anything in game that can do what a helicopter does efficiently.

I have asked a similar question many times. DU is a world where flying is the only means of transportation. But there is no technology in the game with efficiency and practicality that would justify such a society.

A world that evolved into only using flying, would at the very least need flying tech that would beat trucks, boats, trains etc. at transporting.

2 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

I have asked a similar question many times. DU is a world where flying is the only means of transportation. But there is no technology in the game with efficiency and practicality that would justify such a society.

A world that envolved into only using flying, would at the very least need flying tech that would beat trucks, boats, trains etc. at transporting.

Glad somebody gets it. There is hope for DU's player base. lol

Requests for Rotors, Wheels, Pistons, Hinges, Sliders and further parts that make other parts of a construct move, always gets the same response: Not going to happen. The server is built with a single shard MMO in mind and that comes with a price.

That said, stand alone elements that do not interact with surfaces directly (direct contact) are definitely possible. They are called engines and a request for a vertical lift type element sounds like a reskin of a downwards pointing engine.

but engines that thrust downwards to upward lift are not fuel efficient. That’s because engines in this orientation have their power halved because everyone was vertical lifting stuff into space much too easily for NQ’s liking. So players, in turn, just put on more engines so they could do it anyway. 

TLDR: helicopters aren't fuel efficient so use vertical engines.

6 hours ago, Kurock said:

TLDR: helicopters aren't fuel efficient so use vertical engines.

Rotors are a lot more efficient than a jet engine pointed downward. Rotors are designed to be efficient at zero (vertical) speed. Jets are more efficient the faster they are moving along their axis of thrust - and horribly inefficient at zero speed. One could argue that DU atmo engines aren't really jets (but then what are they?), but you can't argue that they only have more than half thrust when placed vertically (and I believe, full fuel consumption).

A rotor would essentially be a reskin of an atmo engine with some modified stats - so it burn maybe twice what a hover does for the same lift and can fly higher. Doesn't need to be able to get over 50% atmo to give us decent rotary wing vehicles. (Although Ingenuity on Mars flies at 1% atmo assuming it works - I don't think they've flown it yet as of this writing).