Jump to content

What kind of game is this to you?


Sabretooth
 Share

What kind of game is this to you?  

51 members have voted

  1. 1. what kind of game is DU to you?

    • A PvP game, shooting others out of the sky!
      11
    • A industrial game, setting up your most efficient factory complex.
      2
    • A voxel building game, design and build whatever you want.
      21
    • An adventure game, roam the galaxy and discover new places and builds
      6
    • Other.....
      11

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/19/21 at 11:00 PM

Recommended Posts

the thing is...to me, ship combat is currently clunky, (very) laggy, and boring. it is a niche implementation of space combat that doesn't interest me in its current form -- i agree that pvp is vital to make this game work, but it is more than just tearing down safe zones. 

9 minutes ago, SirJohn85 said:

This includes:
- Base raiding
- ship raiding
- ship battle
- avatar battle

...does anyone really believe that NQ can achieve a clean implementation for any of these concepts in the next 1-2 years...? 

 

I'd be shocked if they could deliver one of these concepts in a way that's clean and performant before "release".

 

so to me DU falls into the "other" category: "tech demo with some chance of becoming a game someday" -- they've only got 10 months left to get to "release" and it took them half that to give us balance changes, a few bug fixes, org wallets, and...one type of mission...? yeah i can't wait to see how they approach base raiding and avatar combat. i'm sure it'll be just great

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For me it is being given a blank environment and manipulating it into something that could only ever exist due to your own imagination and escapism. This goes for building, fighting, economy, community, competition, friendships and rivalry. Imagine none of it ever existed, what changes that may have made to our real lives as they are now. This game and many others like it embed themselves in our psyche inexorably so that no matter the outcome we will all be some small part of how it ever existed at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ShippyLongstalking said:

the thing is...to me, ship combat is currently clunky, (very) laggy, and boring. it is a niche implementation of space combat that doesn't interest me in its current form -- i agree that pvp is vital to make this game work, but it is more than just tearing down safe zones. 

...does anyone really believe that NQ can achieve a clean implementation for any of these concepts in the next 1-2 years...? 

 

I'd be shocked if they could deliver one of these concepts in a way that's clean and performant before "release".

 

so to me DU falls into the "other" category: "tech demo with some chance of becoming a game someday" -- they've only got 10 months left to get to "release" and it took them half that to give us balance changes, a few bug fixes, org wallets, and...one type of mission...? yeah i can't wait to see how they approach base raiding and avatar combat. i'm sure it'll be just great

What can be and what will be remains to be seen. But that was not op's question in this survey, but what kind of game this is for me. And since I still had the vision 4 years ago of what they wanted to sell to the customer so that they would leave money, I evaluated and filled it out accordingly. I will probably be able to draw a first feedback with the territoral warfare.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, joaocordeiro said:

A proper question could be:

"What kind of game would you like DU to evolve to? " 

OR

"What aspect of the game do you enjoy the most? " 

dont like the question by OP either.

currently the game seems to be mostly about design and fashion

I enjoy industry the most

I would love to see practical ship building to have more depth, which is what I actually came for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had to vote something and i voted a voxel building game BUT it is all that you proposed .

It is also an industry game , also a virtual world to explore and also a massive pvp platform.

WHEN they remove safe zones and if they do so  it will be a PVP based game having all other aspects as secondaries ...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Habitant said:

I had to vote something and i voted a voxel building game BUT it is all that you proposed .

It is also an industry game , also a virtual world to explore and also a massive pvp platform.

WHEN they remove safe zones and if they do so  it will be a PVP based game having all other aspects as secondaries ...

 

There is a option called "other"

 

But, I see there is much to do in this game. People are really living this game 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

For me, the dual universe isnt just a PVP game. It's a game about friendship, mutual assistance, supporting allies, about team play. But alas, some people believe that there is no need to be in an alliance. You don't need to play as a team. It's just a game for the sake of the game. But I believe it's not! Playing alone is not as much fun as playing as a team. Unless you are playing lol along with lol dodging script. So I wondered if someone could explain to me why this is the case. Why do some players think it is unnecessary to play in a team? Personally, I've never found a friend to play with over the years. I'm always on my own.

Edited by bastalin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Till 0.23 i played with a team of great players but I am sorry to say, the developers drove them all out.

As one of the early people i am in over 15 organizations, small and large and sadly when i am online and i check them for activity most are dormant, even large 10+ organizations with only me active, it is sad but it is what you get when you frack with players who put all their time and fun into something and overnight you slap them in the face.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I came for the building and exploration. The progression (mining, industry, expanding abilities and holdings, engineering flight, exploring planets) has kept me playing.  PVP is not off the table either, but I’m not there yet.
 

“Something to bitch about” should be one of the categories though. The fact that so many people who aren’t happy at all with this game are  PLAYING ANYWAY is interesting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This game will always been about building cool stuff to me, everything else is a means to an end. I want to PvP, but it’s an ultimately expense hobby with not much incentive IMO. I look forward to that changing, though.

 

That said, I was more interested in AvA and base/ship raiding when I found out it was planned. Come to think of it, stasis weapons could be a precursor to boarding, but I doubt it. Flying around in my jet pack popping dudes like a light assault in PS2, or a space marine of some kind. Building stuff is my bread and butter, but if PvP were actually expansive and fun, I commit to it in a heartbeat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Novidian Prime said:

That said, I was more interested in AvA and base/ship raiding when I found out it was planned. Come to think of it, stasis weapons could be a precursor to boarding, but I doubt it. Flying around in my jet pack popping dudes like a light assault in PS2, or a space marine of some kind. Building stuff is my bread and butter, but if PvP were actually expansive and fun, I commit to it in a heartbeat.

 

Hate to be the bubble burster, but AvA won't be coming anytime soon if ever -- they've confirmed it won't roll out until "at least" post-release.

 

You mention PS2, but if AvA drops it won't be an FPS -- it will be tab targeted. That we have no idea how major aspects of PvP will work after this long is not promising for how PvP will work when everything is "done". 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, blundertwink said:

 

Hate to be the bubble burster, but AvA won't be coming anytime soon if ever -- they've confirmed it won't roll out until "at least" post-release.

 

You mention PS2, but if AvA drops it won't be an FPS -- it will be tab targeted. That we have no idea how major aspects of PvP will work after this long is not promising for how PvP will work when everything is "done". 


Yeah, I’ve long accepted it won’t be anytime soon or anything resembling an FPS. However, if they can add some kind of combat skills to the hot bar, something resembling Tabula Rasa or The Secret World could be very cool.

 

They don’t need hit boxes and fancy gunplay, they just have to make it have a little depth and take it’s implementation seriously.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Two me it’s a building  game  I could care less about the pvp  I could care less if they scraped pvp and focused on building and exploration  I only came because it filled the gap a bit that landmark left  I would love it if  they put old mining back but make planets regenerate over time and made high tier planets dangerous and gave us hand weapons caves two explore so on I think pvp make no sense and it would be much better as a exploring and building city’s  type of game  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Zireaa said:

Two me it’s a building  game  I could care less about the pvp  I could care less if they scraped pvp and focused on building and exploration  I only came because it filled the gap a bit that landmark left  I would love it if  they put old mining back but make planets regenerate over time and made high tier planets dangerous and gave us hand weapons caves two explore so on I think pvp make no sense and it would be much better as a exploring and building city’s  type of game  

 

I came here only for the pvp.  Which was advertised as a pvp game.  With pvp trailers. I could care less if they scraped the building part of the game, which is by far the worst part of the game,  Floating voxels? lol come on man its 2022 and cant even get any physics that resemble something real.   They need to expand on the pvp or the game will fail like Landmark did.  The "building only" crowd isnt big enough to sustain the costs needed to run the servers.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A couple of things, and I should not have to say something this obvious.

 

Imagine how that PvP video would look without any voxels or people to build ships..

 

That video was made to highlight the PvP part of the game (using fictional feature not even in the game no less). But just like there are many other videos highlighting other parts of the game, having a video about PvP does not turn the game into a PvP only game.

 

The main headline description of the game on the official web page on the other hand, is something that is the definition on what type of game this is supposed to be.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...