This communities toxicity is getting out of hand.

Shaman

9 hours ago, Hazaatan said:

I stopped reading after this.  You are so oblivious to your won ignorance it's scary.  Criticism is not toxicity.  Toxicity is not criticism.  You're just looking for brownie points.  When you try and group the two together, YOU are the problem.

Toxicity is the word of the attention seeker, instigator, and power hungry teenager.  

Those of us criticizing the game are frustrated, angry, confused, disheartened, unmotivated... but this is coming from the potential we see in the game.

I have only seen one instance of something that can be called toxic, THIS POST. 

Hypocrisy, much?

13 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

I never saw the linkedin post in question, so I am a bit confused reading some of the statements here.

Was it not just a link to a public linkedin account? So while maybe in bad taste to post, it was that person who made the choice to have a public linkedin account with full name etc.

I mean all I have to do, is search for people with novaquark in their resume to find them on that site (if they have public accounts).

I get this perspective, but LinkedIn is really bad at setting reasonable privacy defaults and presenting easy privacy settings. they will sue people for trying to scrape data, but won't make much effort to protect it... 

there have been many cases of people trawling LinkedIn to doxx -- I mean...it freakin' gives you the ability to find people by organization along with full name and general location...it isn't hard to figure out a home address from that. it's far too easy to target an org you don't like and extract personal details of employees -- that's like a core feature of their site. 

Even technically competent devs don't necessarily think about the risks of doxxing as they make their online profiles, or have the patience to dig through somewhat obscure settings to protect them from a situation no one really thinks will happen to them. and if they do protect their privacy, it might affect their ability to find a job by reducing their visibility.

how many devs reading this post have set their last name to private and prevented organization searches? 

the fact that this got resolved in a civil manner is generous on NQ's part, because many other communities would slap bans and even pursue criminal charges. yes, sharing an already-public linkedin profile can be considered a crime in some (very few) contexts and jurisdictions. 

please remember that next time you're tempted to post links (especially to linkedin) -- just because it is public on the internet doesn't mean it is legal (or ethical) to post. i know that makes no sense to many of us, but that's life in 2021 after it has been repeatedly (tragically) proven how this data can be weaponized...it's more about how the data is used/intended than the fact that it is already on the internet. 

I know what you are saying and I mostly agree. Especially about the weaponizing information part. Which is also why while trivial to find, I did not post any names or links when I looked at how many of the original team still remains at NQ.

But the other side of this argument is the fact that linkedin is a site specifically made for sharing work related information. And that information is put there by the user himself. So crying fault when someone is using that information is a bit off. There is the bad intent argument for sure, but people must also be held accountable for what they put out there to some degree. Kinda like being upset if someone looks at your about page on facebook, and you have put stuff there you don't want people to know.

If the information posted was the result of crawling the internet, gathering small amounts of 'innocent' information from different sites into a package that as a whole would become more sensitive and/or containing private information, that would be an entirely different story. I.e. malicious intent.

I'm winding this thread down and locking it, because I think everyone has made their respective points. I'll keep it up for posterity.

The reason for yesterday's moderation is not a question to be debated. The post technically breached the forum rules we have about naming and shaming *and* doxxing. In an attempt to demonstrate a moment of grace and understanding in light of the valid frustration I witnessed, I did not take full moderation action (ie. issuing a ban). Next time, there will be no leniency. Do not doxx, do not 'light doxx', do not even 'doxx adjacent'. No doxxing, period.

As for questions of toxicity, let's review the rules together right now to clear up any misunderstandings that might exist about our expectations of how people should behave in order to participate in this community.

Additionally, I personally begin to consider behavior toxic when it's repetitive, malicious and can't be reasoned with. Some of the posting patterns I see here fall under that personal definition for me, but I digress. Copied directly from this post

"We want this forum to be a place where everyone feels empowered to have an open and friendly discussion with us (the Novaquark team) as well as other community members. To help make this possible we have created rules we feel will keep things positive and ensure that proper netiquette is observed.

By posting on this forum, either publicly or through private message or other means, you explicitly agree to follow the rules and guidelines posted here. If you do not agree with these rules – in whole or in any part – then do not post. All members will be treated as if they have read and understood these rules and guidelines.

(I) Be respectful and courteous.

The Dual Universe forums and community site are provided for Dual Universe players and those interested in discussing topics directly related to Dual Universe. We understand that community members may disagree with each other, and even with us, but we expect opinions to be expressed in a reasonable and polite manner.  It is important to maintain an atmosphere of civility and respect, so that all voices may be heard.

(II) Communicate constructively.

All communication, whether between players, moderators or Dual Universe staff, must be constructive. Posts without constructive commentary can distract from the topic at hand, reduce the visibility of valuable communication, and discourage others from participating in the conversation.

(III) Following actions are prohibited:

• Posting off-topic replies or replies that are likely to drag the discussion off topic.
  • Necroposting on old threads (unpinned threads in which the last reply is older than 2 months).
  • Spamming on a specific topic. This includes creating multiple discussions on the same topic in the same or multiple forums.
  • Cross-posting a specific reply. This is also a form of spamming.
  • Posting an image without a meaningful text. A meme is not a response to a discussion. They are usually disruptive and can be easily misinterpreted. The same is true for animated GIFs.
  • Calling out other players or community members by name to shame them for actions or opinions you may disagree with. Naming and shaming is not tolerated.
  • Posting in any manner that disrupts an official thread. Official threads are topics created by the Novaquark team for the purpose of collecting feedback and opinions.
  • Threatening legal action. Unfortunately, this kills all conversation immediately as we must refer all further discussion to our legal team. To preserve the conversation intact and unaltered these types of responses may be immediately archived.
  • Trolling (provoking) people.
  • Flaming (insulting, attacking) people. Picking fights isn’t a good way to make your point. It usually means you don’t have one and are just trying to cause trouble.
  • Using profanity. Including creative spelling or character substitution to bypass word filters.
  • Using the report system in an abusive manner. This is a form of harassment and a tremendous waste of time for both staff and moderators.
  • Discussions and comments involving real life politics, ideology or religion. These can be incendiary topics and will usually lead to inappropriate behavior and uncomfortable situations.
  • Publicly posting any private discussions, conversations, or other material between a user and a Novaquark employee (confidentiality policy).

Violating these guidelines may trigger a warning, followed by either a temporary or permanent suspension of forum privileges depending on the severity and frequency of the violations.

(IV) The following actions may result in the immediate suspension of forum privileges:

There are some actions severe enough to result in immediate temporary or permanent suspension of posting privileges without prior notification. Serious or sustained offenses may result in suspension of not only the user's forum account but game account as well.

• Threatening other members or Novaquark staff. No, “just joking’ is not a defense. We take this very seriously.
  • Publicly revealing account or personal information of any person, community member or Novaquark staff.
  • Posting harmful links pointing to viruses, malware, worms or trojans.
  • Posting sexually explicit content. Including posting links to such content.
  • Hate speech is not tolerated in any form.
  • Attacking any ethnic group, religion, gender or sexual preference/identity.
  • Promoting exploits, cheating programs, piracy or any sort of illegal activity.
  • Attempt to impersonate Novaquark staff or another member of the community.

Violations of these rules may result in further steps taken with outside authorities or agencies. This may include your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and local or national Law Enforcement agencies.

(V) Abide by moderators and Novaquark employee’s instructions.

If you disagree with a moderator or employee's actions, do not discuss or challenge the matter in forum posts. Send an e-mail to forum@novaquark.com, and be sure to include your forum handle (name displayed on the forum), but NOT your password, and clearly state your concerns.

IMPORTANT: Forum content is moderated at Novaquark's sole discretion, and content may be modified, removed, or otherwise restricted by Novaquark employees and/or moderators.

Best Regards,
The Novaquark Team."