NQ Devs forced to play DU Solo

DecoyGoatBomb

7 hours ago, Warlander said:

I used to have multiple pocket gms who would rez me or just teleport me to wherever I wanted or lock the other way hacking.

Did you just openly admit to cheating in other games and using people on the inside, wow........

43 minutes ago, Moosegun said:

Did you just openly admit to cheating in other games and using people on the inside, wow........

Im not shy about my past. Its precisely what happens when devs, GMs, CMs, and anyone with an ounce of power is allowed to mingle with the masses and are allowed to get close enough to be friends or more with the GP.

If they want to look into me go for it I played this game 100% legit, though some of those PvP scripts people are using are kinda suspect tho....

4 hours ago, Warlander said:

Im not shy about my past. Its precisely what happens when devs, GMs, CMs, and anyone with an ounce of power is allowed to mingle with the masses and are allowed to get close enough to be friends or more with the GP.

If they want to look into me go for it I played this game 100% legit, though some of those PvP scripts people are using are kinda suspect tho....

I'm surprised that this is a big issue. I understand how employees giving favoritism to players is damaging, but it seems like employees can do far more damage to a company in their normal job functions. Employees have access to the code, servers, company finances and personal data of other employees. Yet somehow they can't be trusted not to abuse their power in the game? 

"Its not personal, Its just business."

There needs to be a sepperation of church and state as it were. They arent your friends as much as you think they should be or want them to be if you get up close and personal with them in your org. I have seen in at least a half dozen games where gms or devs have summoned items, mats, and stacked the deck as it were. In this game they didnt even roll back the markets with the schematic debacle what do you think happens if Naunet gets honeypotted into giving an org build mode, unlimited ships, and things they didnt otherwise earn? It happens more than you think.

If you desperately need the attention of devs or CMs or GMs they should throw events. But seeing as they have no budget to do simple shit or develop anything in a timely manner im not against it but they have way bigger things to handle to keep the lights on into next year.

On 2/16/2021 at 2:34 AM, SirJohn85 said:

I was watching some videos about mmorpgs this morning and then this video was suggested to me.

It's all the funnier because I had already spoken to a friend about it a few weeks earlier. And lo and behold: an interesting conclusion.

Then reading through the comment section... Sounds familiar.

Drawing this conclusion on DU I wonder if anyone has played a mmorpg at NQ at all. 

DU will not work the way it was thought to work for the KS campaign. On paper, maybe. All suggestions made by 2000s mmorg players that had any form of social aspect were ignored.

My scepticism continues to grow with each passing day.

The thing is the main way a game like Everquest "encouraged" people to be social, was that they literally forced you to.

If you wanted to progress more then maybe 25% of the way into the game, you needed a guild.

You needed 40+ other people who had mastered their role in the game, and were prepared to log on at a scheduled time, and spend hours farming some raid event, just to get you a drop.

In a lot of ways it wasn't exactly "fun".  But sharing the experience of accomplishing something that seemed almost impossible, with a bunch of other people, was obviously something that a lot of people enjoyed.  So many people enjoyed it, that everyone wanted to get in on it.  Unfortunately not everyone enjoyed it.  So you end up with a lot of people trying to change it into something else.

Something else might be cool too.  But it isn't going to recapture what was great about Everquest.

People would lose their minds if a game was that hard now.  They would be screaming and ripping their hair out and marching on NQ headquarters with torches and pitchforks.  If i described how hard it was to master a tradeskill in Everquest, someone's head might explode here.

The only way for NQ to make DU fun, the way Everquest was "fun" is for them to make the hard decisions, that no one likes, and then stick with them until people start to appreciate why it has to be that way.

Or maybe no one wants to play a game like that anymore.  I don't know.

What i do know is that if there is any way to progress in a game, that doesn't require making friends with 40+ other people, and then asking them to help you.  Most people are going to skip that part.

We can't have both games, NQ has to decide which one they're making and please half of us, or they won't please any of us.

2 hours ago, Atmosph3rik said:

The thing is the main way a game like Everquest "encouraged" people to be social, was that they literally forced you to.

If you wanted to progress more then maybe 25% of the way into the game, you needed a guild.

You needed 40+ other people who had mastered their role in the game, and were prepared to log on at a scheduled time, and spend hours farming some raid event, just to get you a drop.

In a lot of ways it wasn't exactly "fun".  But sharing the experience of accomplishing something that seemed almost impossible, with a bunch of other people, was obviously something that a lot of people enjoyed.  So many people enjoyed it, that everyone wanted to get in on it.  Unfortunately not everyone enjoyed it.  So you end up with a lot of people trying to change it into something else.

Something else might be cool too.  But it isn't going to recapture what was great about Everquest.

People would lose their minds if a game was that hard now.  They would be screaming and ripping their hair out and marching on NQ headquarters with torches and pitchforks.  If i described how hard it was to master a tradeskill in Everquest, someone's head might explode here.

The only way for NQ to make DU fun, the way Everquest was "fun" is for them to make the hard decisions, that no one likes, and then stick with them until people start to appreciate why it has to be that way.

Or maybe no one wants to play a game like that anymore.  I don't know.

What i do know is that if there is any way to progress in a game, that doesn't require making friends with 40+ other people, and then asking them to help you.  Most people are going to skip that part.

We can't have both games, NQ has to decide which one they're making and please half of us, or they won't please any of us.

Sandbox games encouraged you to be dependent on other players, as in UO and SWG. But you could be free to do as you pleased. You could pursue your activities without having to join mmorpg groups like in a theme park like in EQ or WoW. The old games had a gameloop. I like to use SWG as an example. Exploring the world always involved finding new resources so you could either sell them or use them yourself. As an artisan you could sell my goods because they knew I was a Master Armorsmith. You got in good with me to get the best prices. As a bounty hounter I had my craftsmen who supplied me with items. And I could hunt down players. After I exhaustedly did the work, I sought out the entertainers (not the macro users!) who chatted with me and entertained me. It was a great way to strike up a conversation and get well rested. And you met some new contacts and people invited you to join a player association in their own cities. (Yes, cities, not 5km towers that are only 1m thick like in DU!)

In WoW, I was a sought-after healer on the Horde side back then. Why do I know that? I logged in and I instantly had at least 10 messages from different people wanting me to heal. If you made a name for yourself, you were remembered. It always paid off to be part of a group in a theme park mmorpg because you had a sense of 'we' when you achieved something. Today, people don't really talk to each other or have become even more antisocial. Just queue random dungeons to prove the point and wipe on the first boss. People will leave the group and you get yelled at.

Theme park mmorpgs like WoW Vanilla were not hard. People just didn't know how to deal with mmorpgs at a "new" time with broad internet access back then in mid 2000. WoW Classic proves that 15 years later. It's not like the game has gotten harder, people just know the mechanics and get used to mmorpgs. (And yes, we can use the Naxxramas patch as a comparison, in case anyone wants to object that it's not the real experience).  I'm excited when Blizzard announces The Burning Crusade Classic this weekend (19th feb 2021). Even though it's not official yet, but that seems certain since WoW Classic brought them 3 times as many subs. Just think, the only WoW killer at the end was Classic itself...
Then it's no longer 40 men, but "only" 25. And I'm willing to bet that TBC will bring in more subscriptions than WoW Classic. Because people miss the old feeling, that new games cannot give them.  

And now we are standing here in DU with nothing. You're supposed to log in to mine, build something and then you ask yourself what for? To stroke your ego when you invite people to see what you've built? There was a reason Landmark flopped. This is in no way that DU reflects the vision from the Kickstarter campaign in its current state, 6 month after the soft launch. (Yes, I don't call it Beta because subscription and no wipe decision) And if I compare my experiences in mmorpgs, which I was allowed to take along since then 2001 in DAoC as a start, then I ask myself seriously who really sees a mmorpg here, which lives up to the spirit, in ANY form at all and does justice to the name sandbox mmorpg. As I wrote in another thread: We have, if anything, a nice tech demo that has no long-term motivation in its current state for the mmorpg market. 

NQ has made it so I won't support any crowdfunding platform as far as games are concerned. I am very angry with them about AvA and that they postponed it. Even more so with the lack of gameplay in its current state. I don't mourn the cost of the ruby founder title, but it's the bloody time and energy that went into it.

If for some reason, which I hope is not the case, NQ runs out of money, don't be surprised. You could see it coming. I said back in December 2019, when the podcast was published on YT, that the optional power system and the separation of AvA from the PvP package, and that the Lua code is opensource was a mistake. Do you know what the reaction was? People had their rose-coloured glasses on and ignored it. Even my memes about the missing AvA they found funny, but today they don't laugh anymore. "It is what it is" - But definitely not what they made us believe in 2016 in the KS campaign.

But to find a concluding paragraph again: I would wish today in 2021 that mmorpgs had the depth of previous sandbox mmorpg and yet respected my time up to a point. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but until then I'll look at the mmorpgs I find. Maybe someone will build something like that. But I wouldn't mind investing more time in it again.