DU as Civilization Gone Wrong (Poor game design)

IvanGrozniy

13 hours ago, JohnnyTazer said:

For someone who visits the forums frequently, you sure dont know shit.

Ah you just can’t control your baby-urges can you? You’re like the little boy that was hurt and strikes out at everyone around him. 

It must be so terribly tiring to always feel so defensive that you can’t help but make it a personal attack. 
the sign of a real loser to be sure.

(Yeah, I can insult, and make it about the messenger, too.. doesn’t throwing ad hominem comments  add so much to the discussion?) 

I must say, in the last days I only login from time to time just to check if someone has bought any of my ship blueprints ... Don't feel like building any more for now, and there is basically nothing else to do, no exploration, nothing to see ....

On 2/15/2021 at 6:10 AM, JohnnyTazer said:

As it stands now, and the future, why is there a reason to have cities in the safe zone?  I see hardly any purpose.  Flying around a planet is easy if you have played the game longer than 1 month.  Why group up?  What benefits besides a couple friends living together?  You cant say for markets, because their are no players markets, and even if/when they come, you wont have hundreds of them on 1 planet.   There needs to be buyers for markets to work.  So again, WHY THE FUCK WOULD ANYONE GO LIVE ON SOMEONE ELSE'S CITY LAND?  There are no mechanics for it.  If they want a civilization building game, they need to make it so not everyone can drop a TU down or a static construct, and Rez nodes be POWERFUL things, that dont go on dynamic constructs, and where you live can determine where you respawn.  Stuff of that nature.  I see nothing in the works where people would congregate in a city in a safe zone coming anytime soon, if ever.  At least with the pvp zone, it can be the "safety in numbers" and turn a normal hostile pvp zone planet into a "relatively safe area" as it would take weeks/months of war to seige a huge area with hundreds of territories connected.  This is why we need to reduce the safe zones down to only Alioth + sanc, and rework how contructs/TCU's/and Resurrection nodes are deployed.

They already talked about power management of tiles.  They need to completely rework how Resurrections nodes work.  For one, remove them from Dynamic constructs.  You die, you die, go back to your "city".  How many active rez nodes should be determined by the tile, and how many connected can increase that.  1 single tile should not support more than say 5(or whatever is balanced) people tied to that rez node.  The more connected tiles, the more that increases.  Now you have city areas start to form.  There needs to be major benefits to building together.  

No. It doesnt make any sense for 1 player to farm 1 week so he cant respawn on his ship if something happens. Cities are awesome when you have more players driven by the same goal who wants to play in a specific environment (planet, biome) for whatever goals they have in mind. Go and ask TTC and other dudes living outside why they're playing togheter and why they will defend togheter their city placed on a pvp planet. Because goals i would say.

Res nodes are working as intended and it should take sometime and resources to take down a ship.

On 2/14/2021 at 12:28 PM, joaocordeiro said:

Well, if you frame it in absolutes, you are right.

But once you frame this in a scale instead of absolutes, your point stops making sense.

Can Dual universe have a never ending story that can rival cyberpunk? Definitely no.

Can Dual universe have a story line like WOW? Probably not.

Can Dual universe have Avatar characters that can open chats at you offering you missions and presenting events? Probably yes.

Can we have quests? Definitely yes.

So this is a scale, from "must have" to "impossible to do" with a lot of things in the middle.

But NQ failed to achieve the "must have"

So the definition of your "filled" for NQ is "none".

Quests? Stories? Wuuut... what does linear cyberpunk have to do with an mmo? Its like comparing apples to dildos

In this whole post I only talk about basic first principles that need to be really thought out and gamified in order to call DU a civilization builder. 

6 hours ago, IvanGrozniy said:

Quests? Stories? Wuuut... what does linear cyberpunk have to do with an mmo? Its like comparing apples to dildos

Wow does not agree with you. 

It has a story line with dialogs and quests. 

Eve does not agree with you. 

It does have quests. 

Nq does not agree with you. 

We already have tutorial quests. And NQ promised more. 

What if flying wasn't as accessible/effective as it is now?

I've had this thought because in the last 15 years I've played a lot of open world games, wow, minecraft, space engineers, rust, arma2 and 3 and a lot of dayz, mostly origins, and all of this games have one thing in common: flying is a huge game changer. It kills random encounters and it kills exploration/immersion, you no longer live inside the world, you only see it as a background as you're travelling from point a to point b.

So again, what if flying (on planets) wasn't as meta as it is today? 

What if our ability to lift weight was dramatically reduced?

Ground transport might become a thing, I'm not asking for wheels ofc (I'm perfectly aware how much Clang loves wheels), we have hovers, let's use them. Building roads/bridges/tunnels might be the one input that makes ppl work together. You would feel the world alive as you pass through the numerous factories built near the highway connecting two markets.

Even PvP-wise it makes sense to give ground vehicles a role once territory warfare comes.

What do you think? I'm not really into turning DU into euro truck simulator but honestly flying often makes things too easy and it kills a lot of experiences.

@Fra119

Sadly, no. 

Main thing -- "ground world" is too large, boring and empty, poor resource/industry systems not helps too (activities need to be more interesting to keep people here). Relativly featureless 3d spheres with evenly spread ore clusters. Beyond their ore and ability to use markets, host mostly decorative buildings, planets in DU are useless husks. Currently, at least.

So flying around fast and fooling around with ships is in way psycological salvation from deficiencies of DU systems.

You proposal kinda can work in much more dense, interesting worlds, with climates/hazzards, terrain challenges, different economical uses of land, events, all this, from fantasies. Generaly where some infrustructure makes long-term sense.