I hate that I love this game

TonyTones

This is the most fun I've had playing a game. This game checks all of the boxes for me and I hate that fact. 

.23 Wasn't so bad after the adjustment to prices but the way factories were spoken about using words like "kill" and not being able to "revive" them... felt like an attack but a few of us pushed on 

The stealth nerfs with not even the mention of a change is getting old. Mega nodes cut down lastyear and talent nerfs... 

The game is too easy according to someone but It's already a full time grind to get anywhere. Turning it into a job isn't the way to attract players. 

NQ pulling out of the discord support channel to me is not a good sign. I don't know if NQ needs new players. The decisions that are make say no, they don't need players and are willing to lose us. There hasn't been an interview in a while when before .23 they were almost weekly. The list of new content (that adds to the fun of the game) since beta launch is RGB and some glass. I worry that that's another bad sign. Without speculating tooo much, I don't know If this will hit release and wonder if I'm just wasting time.

I know others feel the same way but I wonder how many. I see many discords dwindling and playing other games, content creators leaving, and find myself hoping to find something to fill the DU void.

All that said I still play and I still hope for a good outcome but man, It's concerning.

Worst part, that even this forum/discord arguments about situation feel so meaningless...

Same people just repeating all same story how everything is not right and what NQ should do in ideal world (me included). Other same people repeating (to counter first part indeed) all over again same story of "this is beta", "give devs some time", "all is fine, I'm enjoying the game". Somewhere in middle personal fights ignite (because nothing new to add anyway). At this point I generaly even know names, that will be involved and roughly what they will say and how interact with each other.

I feel like we all prisoners of some cursed dark forest of something, just making endless rounds trying to find exit and fighting each other because of evil enchantment.

16 minutes ago, le_souriceau said:

Worst part, that even this forum/discord arguments about situation feel so meaningless...

Same people just repeating all same story how everything is not right and what NQ should do in ideal world (me included). Other same people repeating (to counter first part indeed) all over again same story of "this is beta", "give devs some time", "all is fine, I'm enjoying the game". Somewhere in middle personal fights ignite (because nothing new to add anyway). At this point I generaly even know names, that will be involved and roughly what they will say and how interact with each other.

I feel like we all prisoners of some cursed dark forest of something, just making endless rounds trying to find exit and fighting each other because of evil enchantment.

Truth. 

I hate that I love this game

Yoinks... You make this sound like it's akin to being in an abusive relationship.

Oh, hang on... now that you mention it... LOL.

Star Citizen has a pretty cool Xeno event on at the moment and Elite Dangerous will be basically releasing Phase 3: Odyssey.  (phase 2 was Horizons and Beyond)
And NMS continues to morph into something incredibly sprawling and vibrant.

And then there is EVE, of course. LOL.

But even with all those,  DU is still the game that stands like a the promise seen in a powerful shimmer emanating from beyond the next range of mountains...

And after wading across the desert, cresting the jagged mountains and gazing down upon the light, it could well end up indeed being the idyllic City of Light... or wind up just being rows upon rows of abandoned and broken solar arrays from an older time, reflecting the sun back into space.

Set your skills 1 year out and go play another game.  This game needs a lot of work.   This happened with Space Engineers.  The beta was rough, I walked away for a year and when I got back to it it was incredible.  One of my favorite games of all time.  But I don't have a massive server to interact with other players, and DU was supposed to be that building game.

Hopefully this game will turn out great.  I have my doubts.  Space Engineers had optimization problems and it was not complete.  DU also has optimization problems and it's not complete, but also has a direction problem.  Hope they can correct course.  There are better ways to do this.

On 2/12/2021 at 10:49 PM, le_souriceau said:

word. 

there's so much power in the curse of advertising. They sell many people a promise of a huge sci-fi world that you can mold...where you can be anything or anyone. The allure is so strong people keep buying into it....even if they quit!

I guarantee they'll get a lot of new users once they slap a "release" label on it.

They'll probably re-use the same exact advert they did for beta. and it will work.

if they sold this game on Steam they'd make a lot less money because they'd actually have to honor returns and reviews would be prominent -- not so much through Xsolla and youtube ads.

I'm willing to bet that NQ crosses the line from "honestly trying" to "basically vaporware" as they get to release -- and if they cut enough staff and continue to use a service like Xsolla, it'll probably work for a long while. 

58 minutes ago, ShippyLongstalking said:

sold this game on Steam they'd make a lot less money because they'd actually have to honor returns and reviews would be prominent -- not so much through Xsolla and youtube ads.

NQ is not selling anything, the game is free to download. You pay a subscription fee to access the servers which would not be refundable through steam either.

They use XSolla as they are contractually obligated to do so (don't know for how long) which was part of investment they received previously as one of the former investors also owns XSolla.

They could just as well use PayPal and build a payment solution using that in house at probably less cost to them.

I do expect they will increase the subscription price to $15/mo once they "release" and I'm pretty sure part of why they are so adamant they can "release" end of this year and see no issues preventing that because they are counting on the revenue from that. That "release" will clearly be at best an actual Beta stage game "where they really are still knee deep in Alpha right now) with all the features in  game but unfinished and they will need at least a year, if not two, to actually complet ethe game based on the feature set they promised during kickstarter.