Why does the sun look like this?

sHuRuLuNi

As in ... just round, no light rays, crisp.
I remember it looked different before - you know, like the real sun, where you could not make out its round shape, because it was too bright.
Now, it just looks like a white circle, and I mean during the day, on Alioth.

Untitled-1.jpg

1 minute ago, Distinct Mint said:

Maybe try changing some of the post-processing graphics effects until you get the one you're looking for.

Doesn't help. And I had not used any post-processing before and it looked real, now it is a botched octagon.

3 hours ago, Burble said:

i noticed this also. It's actually not even round, kind of cut off at the sides with pixelation

Those sharp edges at the sides are typical for a texture that has been cropped to aggressively, cutting of the pixels used for antialiasing against the background.

I.e another one of those quick and dirty bugs, that would be dead simple to fix but will probably stay put for a long time.

On 2/7/2021 at 10:33 AM, Daphne Jones said:

I hope the skybox sun is a placeholder in which case, let's not be putting a lot of effort into making it look good. Or have they ruled out rotating planets now?

rotating planets... thats a good one. 

On 2/7/2021 at 4:33 PM, Daphne Jones said:

I hope the skybox sun is a placeholder in which case, let's not be putting a lot of effort into making it look good. Or have they ruled out rotating planets now?

Hope they add at least that, rotations planets + planets orbiting the sun would de 10/10 but let's not dream too much ^^

58 minutes ago, Pacman-1 said:

Hope they add at least that, rotations planets + planets orbiting the sun would de 10/10 but let's not dream too much ^^

Don't know exactly how their tech works, but I suppose doing that would entail every construct and every voxel of each planet having to update the position every frame since they would be all "moving" (with the rotation and/or orbits respectively). I too wish for this (and have wished in every space game till now) but I don't see how they could manage that.

On 2/8/2021 at 12:33 AM, Daphne Jones said:

Every single planet has the same day/night cycle and apparently seasonal cycle, too. 
it would be nice if the planets rotated. Then we would get moon rises and moon sets, too. 

unfortunatley, this is no elite dangerous where every planet and moon’s orbit is simulated. 

On 2/7/2021 at 4:33 PM, Daphne Jones said:

They didn't really promise it. They said back then they were going to tackle it.

But honestly, with the shit they have to deal with today, rotating planets are the least of their worries. 

9 minutes ago, SirJohn85 said:

They didn't really promise it. They said back then they were going to tackle it.

But honestly, with the shit they have to deal with today, rotating planets are the least of their worries. 

Yeah. Definitely not holding my breath waiting for it. What they have now is OK if they can make it work credibly for traveling to another star system. They just need to get it so everyone sees the sun in the same position at any time and place.

7 hours ago, sHuRuLuNi said:

Don't know exactly how their tech works, but I suppose doing that would entail every construct and every voxel of each planet having to update the position every frame since they would be all "moving" (with the rotation and/or orbits respectively).

If the planets have their own physics grid (like dynamic constructs) they would just need to update the position of the grid but not the relative positions of everything within the grid. But I do not know if the engine alows that on the scale of planets and what the limit for the recursion deep is.