The single arguement against a wipe...

I may be a PVPer but I love creation and creativity. This is a breathtaking development and really I would be so pissed for all the people who've put all the time into this development thus far if a wipe took place.

THANKFULLY NQ TOOK HARDSTAND AGAINST A WIPE AND HAVE VOICED IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN...

If they wiped out all my hard work in mining and  construction, I would first go ballistic then give up completely. Once trust is broken like that it can never be regained.

The existing player base would move on to try other games, perhaps Star Citizen or Elite Dangerous, or No Man's Sky has matured a bit since I last tried them.

Any new players just won't have the same vision to build the amazing building cities, spaceports and giant ships.  New players would be entering a barren landscape and the vision would never take hold the same way it did for the early players.

Even magic blueprints would require a lot of work to put everything back together. No, any fairness to right the wrongs will have to be done moving forward. There is no going back.

2 hours ago, SMPR01 said:

I just wish they would turn on the trees just for you...

Just know SMPR...

That while I know there's a special place in your heart for me... hell also has a special place built expressly for you ❤️

Much love buddy hahahaha

They don't have to wipe at all.

Just create a new solar system with a new economy (and currency and ores, etc) where players can go to through stargates (or wormholes kinda things). When traveling through stargates you can not tak ephysical stuff with you (just an idea). Players then can choose where they want to 'live' or play the game :).

you basically have unlimited options in a new solar system (exactly the same as with a reset) without anybody has to loose a thing (if you choose to because you can always stay behind).

5 hours ago, Demlock said:

I may be a PVPer but I love creation and creativity. This is a breathtaking development and really I would be so pissed for all the people who've put all the time into this development thus far if a wipe took place.

THANKFULLY NQ TOOK HARDSTAND AGAINST A WIPE AND HAVE VOICED IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN...

Hundred percent in agreement with you Dem, No Wipe Necessary. 

8 hours ago, Demlock said:

How much free shit did Boo get in the flash sale?

3 hours ago, Verliezer said:

They don't have to wipe at all.

Just create a new solar system with a new economy (and currency and ores, etc) where players can go to through stargates (or wormholes kinda things). When traveling through stargates you can not tak ephysical stuff with you (just an idea). Players then can choose where they want to 'live' or play the game :).

you basically have unlimited options in a new solar system (exactly the same as with a reset) without anybody has to loose a thing (if you choose to because you can always stay behind).

I would go for that if I could keep all my expensive blueprints that I have spent countless hours mining for. And talent points.

15 hours ago, Nayropux said:

How much free shit did Boo get in the flash sale?

I honestly don't know, I was at work when it happened
Come to think of it, BOO was asleep, working or playing some other game.

I'm curious about how many lone wolf players got free/cheap sales as. In which case I'd be happen to see that players in general have the ability to seed the markets with mid to high end products for quanta purchase. Since the bots will no longer offer that.

Granted, some players want to see everyone have to progress to that point, however I'd like to see a thriving economy. While that can't really happen naturally when NQ keeps making blunders like the flash sale, it'll only mean they have to spend more time making more mid and high range items for people to progress to (which will be happening anyway). So I see no point in complaining when the game is in beta.

We'll be getting asteroids, new systems, new features this year so who knows what other elements they'll add that will make the game better to play.

In the end, regardless of a bug happening now or later, if NQ manages to get more faucets into the game with the mission system and other features and stops screwing up then this game may yet launch with a thriving community... I just feel it's too soon to tell

Unless I missed something the game is in beta right now right? Why would they NOT wipe going forward to release. I don't think I have played a game yet where they left everything from beta intact to release. So you lost some work you knew you were signing into a beta right? Just like anyone who signs up for a greenlit alpha on Steam it's an alpha and not an intended release version yet everyone seems to expect a polished finished game from greenlit alphas. I think it's a travesty if they left the game in tact to move into release. Many folks who will actually play these game will at best test out mechanics in the beta, see how everything works maybe help testing bugs and finding exploits to fix but then shelve the game for release and go HAM then. The only game I know that never wiped in various stages of development was Eve and that wasn't advertised as a beta product either.

I realize many of you folks have a lot of time put in but that is on you for getting to wrapped up in a beta access. Those true lovers of the game won't care they will burn their time in beta then take a break for release and go ham all over again. I don't get the thought process behind leaving it all most folks won't even join a beta they will watch it and if it is successful then put money down on release.

Not intentionally trying to ignite angry nerd rage here but show me an mmo/survival that went from beta to release and didn't wipe because I honestly don't remember any and I have played about every major mmo/survival game on the market that is worth playing.

12 hours ago, Kegstand said:

Unless I missed something the game is in beta right now right? Why would they NOT wipe going forward to release. I don't think I have played a game yet where they left everything from beta intact to release. So you lost some work you knew you were signing into a beta right? Just like anyone who signs up for a greenlit alpha on Steam it's an alpha and not an intended release version yet everyone seems to expect a polished finished game from greenlit alphas. I think it's a travesty if they left the game in tact to move into release. Many folks who will actually play these game will at best test out mechanics in the beta, see how everything works maybe help testing bugs and finding exploits to fix but then shelve the game for release and go HAM then. The only game I know that never wiped in various stages of development was Eve and that wasn't advertised as a beta product either.

I realize many of you folks have a lot of time put in but that is on you for getting to wrapped up in a beta access. Those true lovers of the game won't care they will burn their time in beta then take a break for release and go ham all over again. I don't get the thought process behind leaving it all most folks won't even join a beta they will watch it and if it is successful then put money down on release.

Not intentionally trying to ignite angry nerd rage here but show me an mmo/survival that went from beta to release and didn't wipe because I honestly don't remember any and I have played about every major mmo/survival game on the market that is worth playing.

Everything you say is perfectly reasonable, except for the fact that the developer has made statements to the contrary and some massive builds have progressed based on that.   Who wants to repeat the grindy crap again?  I have a considerably tiny single hex build and will not be interested in repeating.

Also,  if that is your belief, proudly post it in your actual player account.  1 hour old accounts are suspect at best.

• 1 month later...

Apologies if this sounds harsh, but do any of you pay attention to DU news? NQ has firmly stated if they do a reset, most if not all cores with stuff on them (They probably won't count blank cores or ones with less than 0.1% filled up) will have special one time blueprints which we can use for the full release. These special blueprints will have zero cost and the stuff we made will magically appear from nothing.

Why? Because the planets themselves are nowhere near being finished in how they are generated. Would you like to be free to place your stuff on a fully realized and detailed terrain Alioth (or other planet) or would you like to keep your stuff in the same coordinates and risk it be floating in an ocean or in the middle of a mountain. This game can absolutely not be released with the current elementary level of planetary geographic detail.

I personally think a wipe is needed, but would probably receive two much hate for them to be able to pull it off.

so instead they need a clean up system. Let’s admit it, look around any hex close to a market place which can be claimed, they are claimed for miles. Look at any nice lake, all the spots are claimed for miles.

we have a nice city, maybe five hex’s worth. Right next to it, great place for expansion is a claimed hex with one building. Guy joined beta, got into it for two weeks, then he left. Never to return two weeks into beta. That’s prime realestate that can never be claimed since NQ changed their mind and made all of Alioth a safe zone.

This raises a different issue. We were told that if our subscription lapse, when we resubscribe all of our stuff will still be there. I’d be gutted if I took some time off and came back and all my hex’s were gone. But I suspect NQ would get a lot less push back about somebody not being online for six months having all their possessions magic blue printed than they would a wipe. Plus let’s be honest, in the long run they really are going to need to come up with a system dealing with departed players and their stuff, unless they just keep opening new solar systems and the active playerbase just moves to the new one each time one is released.

• 3 weeks later...

@Demlockwe are not in Landmark, how is any economy is going to happen if everything is open source or donated

we have experienced multiple wipes in the past, some with alternatives so that players dont loose everything, such as "magic blueprints", blueprints that can be spawned without requiring any material from the players

this will therefor need a little work on the blueprint deployment gameplay, like being able to see the ghost of the mesh and being able to snap static core blueprints

but to be honest, Helios planets, including Alioth are ugly as hell, and havent been touched since early alpha

just for this every current planets need to disappear before release to let place for sexy desirable ones

freeport is an amazing place, but with little work from NQ side, a wipe will not make this place gone for long

SO WIPE IS NECESSARY, alpha is alpha, beta is beta, release is release

It will be very hard for new players if no wipe, but that will always be an issue for players joining an established game.

the main problem I see is miles and miles of prime hex’s are claimed by people who are no longer in the game and are completely undeveloped, and never will be.

if they don’t wipe they will at have to co e up for some solution  for dead hex’s, dead constructs, etc from players who have long since left. Especially if this is supposed to be a long term MMO.

no add g a new planet every time it gets fall isn’t a solution 

3 hours ago, CoyoteNZ said:

It will be very hard for new players if no wipe, but that will always be an issue for players joining an established game.

the main problem I see is miles and miles of prime hex’s are claimed by people who are no longer in the game and are completely undeveloped, and never will be.

if they don’t wipe they will at have to co e up for some solution  for dead hex’s, dead constructs, etc from players who have long since left. Especially if this is supposed to be a long term MMO.

no add g a new planet every time it gets fall isn’t a solution 

Every month players are leaving, joining,  coming back so on and so forth. The game is about the players who are playing the game. The mechanics of the claimed tiles, prices, etc are not in game atm. These tiles you see claimed atm will change in the future. There will be some kind of upkeep for the amount u have.

25 minutes ago, Elitez said:

There will be some kind of upkeep for the amount u have.

They will have to backwards on some of their promises to do that. We have been told if we unsub, we won’t lose anything, it will be waiting for us when we return.

if they then go and decide to start charging rent on hex’s which you lose if you don’t  pay, there will be a stink.

personally I’m happy for there to be an activity or rent requirement on all non Sanctuary hex’s. If you have moved into the real world you should be ready for stuff like that. But it will be an issue for players who grabbed a great prime location hex, dropped there sub and decided they would revisit every six months until the game is what they consider playable/fun, if they return and find that there hex is gone due to not paying a rental fee which was added while they were gone.

but yes something needs to be done to tidy hex’s and constructs of missing players. 

Or every six six months they could release a new solar system, and then there will be a sudden mass transit of ships and a new land grab as all the active players warp/slow boat/big gate(tm) to the new system start looking for good hex’s which still have ore, and are close to markets etc. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 12:26 AM, CoyoteNZ said:

They will have to backwards on some of their promises to do that. We have been told if we unsub, we won’t lose anything, it will be waiting for us when we return.

if they then go and decide to start charging rent on hex’s which you lose if you don’t  pay, there will be a stink.

personally I’m happy for there to be an activity or rent requirement on all non Sanctuary hex’s. If you have moved into the real world you should be ready for stuff like that. But it will be an issue for players who grabbed a great prime location hex, dropped there sub and decided they would revisit every six months until the game is what they consider playable/fun, if they return and find that there hex is gone due to not paying a rental fee which was added while they were gone.

but yes something needs to be done to tidy hex’s and constructs of missing players. 

Or every six six months they could release a new solar system, and then there will be a sudden mass transit of ships and a new land grab as all the active players warp/slow boat/big gate(tm) to the new system start looking for good hex’s which still have ore, and are close to markets etc. 

Its not very scaleable given they already seem to be having issues with their database with the one system.

They should add some kind of upkeep mechanic that requires some effort not just take from your wallet but before they do it put a grace period in of 3 months and send a few emails to any subbed account who has hexes not being upkept, sorry, but if you are going to drop in every 6 months its probably time to move over if you aren't willing to play the game. I say that as someone who would be pretty negatively effected by such a change.