0.24 Devblog: Missions

michaelk

The long-term goal is to enrich the Mission system with more mission types, starting with “taxi” missions, SoS, and later adding PvP and various other “formalizable” activities. For now, we’re introducing the Mission system with transport-type hauling missions.

https://www.dualuniverse.game/news/devblog-missionsystem

I'm sure most of y'all have seen this already...

I'm doing what has been asked, which is to go to the forum and discuss ?

It seems like this answers a lot of questions I've seen related to how the mission system will work. I'm curious what else might be coming with 0.24 or if it is mostly just the mission system. 

It sounds like missions will launch with only hauling missions. I wonder if there will be enough people hauling to make it worthwhile...I mean, it isn't mining, right? 

13 minutes ago, michaelk said:

https://www.dualuniverse.game/news/devblog-missionsystem

I'm sure most of y'all have seen this already...

I'm doing what has been asked, which is to go to the forum and discuss ?

It seems like this answers a lot of questions I've seen related to how the mission system will work. I'm curious what else might be coming with 0.24 or if it is mostly just the mission system. 

It sounds like missions will launch with only hauling missions. I wonder if there will be enough people hauling to make it worthwhile...I mean, it isn't mining, right? 

So colateral is in that nice IMO.

The communication tab is a good idea like it.

There will be scams with unreachable places to someone tho IMO.

Huge orgs may dump money on hauling just to avoid doing it themselves to anwer you question.

Mission rewards will go up by themselves if they are too low since no one will do it for a low/useless reward.

I'm a bit confused by the section that says that rewards are non-binding. 

The game enforces these, picking the rewards and putting collateral in escrow when the mission is created.

So...does the reward get put in escrow too, or only the collateral? 

What is important to remember is that negotiations about rewards, or even the job description and purpose, are entirely declarative and non-binding.

That makes it seem like there's mechanics that enforce and require collateral, but nothing for rewards...? 

I don't understand the design rationale behind that.

There’s often an element of danger involved when doing business. For some, the lure of pulling one over on an unsuspecting stranger has an even larger allure than the money to be made. Sure, you can scam sweet, trusting little lambs for a time, but eventually you’ll be the one to pay the price.

How? What price will be paid beyond having a poor review...? If someone runs 10 legit missions then 1 scam, that hardly makes them "pay a price", it just lowers their average.

There's also no incentive to leave honest reviews -- if I rate someone highly and they rate me a zero, can I then change my review...? What's to stop people from weaponizing this system...? Or farming out a bunch of very easy jobs to org mates to inflate their reviews and burry negative ratings? 

"Business has risk" isn't really a design, it's a random thought. Haulers will already face risk from piracy and are already investing time...anyone that's played an MMO knows that time is the most precious investment. 

It seems like they are codifying a way for people to create scams because they think it will be fun...but there's no real way to retaliate, especially as a new player.

The risk seems extremely lopsided -- the employer seems to risk very little (guaranteed collateral) while the hauler risks everything and has almost no recourse if they get scammed or ambushed. Just better hope that your one review is seen? 

Maybe I'm not understanding the design, here?

48 minutes ago, michaelk said:

What is important to remember is that negotiations about rewards, or even the job description and purpose, are entirely declarative and non-binding.

That makes it seem like there's mechanics that enforce and require collateral, but nothing for rewards...? 

I took this to mean that negotiating the reward outside of the one set in the mission system is non-binding. For example, if the mission offers 1000 quanta for a delivery, but the description says they'll give you 10 engines as additional payment when you arrive, then the only payment guaranteed by the system is 1000 quanta. Whether you will get the engines or not is non-binding. The part about escrow specifically mentions both rewards and collatoral, so I think this part is just a warning to only trust what is guaranteed by the mission and nothing negotiated outside of that.

52 minutes ago, michaelk said:

There's also no incentive to leave honest reviews -- if I rate someone highly and they rate me a zero, can I then change my review...? What's to stop people from weaponizing this system...? Or farming out a bunch of very easy jobs to org mates to inflate their reviews and burry negative ratings? 

This is a good point. I like the idea of having a review system, but all IRL review systems need some sort of appeal mechanism to prevent this. It was mentioned in another post that you will be able to view an employers mission history to see if they have a lot of suspicious missions that seem like review farming. For example, 50 missions to deliver items for 1km with 5* reviews or something like that. The only guarantee is that people will try to abuse the system for fun or to get an advantage. Hopefully we have the tools to identify the abuse.

11 hours ago, michaelk said:

It seems like they are codifying a way for people to create scams because they think it will be fun...but there's no real way to retaliate, especially as a new player.

That would result in players accepting NPC missions only and JC wondering once more why they don't use the system as expected.