NQ does not want your ideas (or do they?)

blazemonger

11 hours ago, blazemonger said:

they will need more time than 9 months to do so, but it's there.

If the game doesn't make it to release quality after that period, they will just release it as it is. They already said it in the interview. And prior to this Beta, they also stated in their interview that they will stick to the schedule and it is one of their commitment to us. According to the roadmap, this Beta 1 was scheduled for Summer 2020 and they released it at the end of Summer 2020--on Early Access!

My problem is not how long or how much time they need to develop this game to meet quality standards; my problem is they are releasing it like this: incomplete, broken, and with no more wipe! You traded the quality for the schedule!

This quality is at early stage of development and when we tested it--as we are doing right now--, a lot of design and technical problems are starting to present themselves, not only that, a lot of fundamental contents are yet to be introduced. This is the time for more testing, correction, and development of new contents in which ofcourse need to be tested and corrected, before you release it with no more wipe! What they are doing is building and correcting on a broken game that they will not wipe. The point of the wipe is to keep the gameplay clean! What is a past system is still part of the gameplay because the past has influence in the present and the future! If the game already released, it already released! How the f*** can you fix it at this point? By building on top of the mess, hoping the mess will somehow disappear? 

That is my problem, not the failure to meet a deadline! Believe me, they will release it as it is because the deadline is their "commitment".

This game received about 18M of venture capital funds from Azom and Andurance. Their LPs provided that money and they expect 10x the ROI in 5 years. This is the problem with VC financing: they need and expect a lot of return! This means the GPs (Azom and Andurance) has to pay their LPs 180M for their 18M of investment in 5 years to have convinced them to invest. VC is a high risk investment and this is a startup that is innovating. High risk, high return.

How do VCs make money? From management fees and carries. NQ has to pay them 2.5% of 18M every year throughout the life cycle--which is half a million euros every year--for the management fee. Whatever profit NQ makes, a quarter of that goes to the VC, the VC then have to pay their LPs 80% of that quarter. This is the bill NQ has to pay to the VCs. The VC can also sell their equity and make money from the capital gains as last resort to make the ROI.

I read somewhere that Lost Ark made $200M in a year or something like that?  Games like that and BDO are profitable but look at how they are monetized. NQ is not gonna receive any more funding from the VCs unless NQ can convince them with the profit.

Reality is 18M here is VC funded. 

This right here is the problem that as a software developer is driving me nuts! In beta you are supposed to be long past big sweeping changes to the game. Beta is refinement towards final release. And it should be obvious that adding massive game loop changes shortly before proper release (making the game reach a state that would be considered beta by all others), pretty much guarantees a buggy,  unbalanced and problematic game release. And with all focus on adding game loop features, there will be no time to fix the many, many bugs already in the game.

And here is the kicker. In the entire history of this game development for as long as it has been available to players. There has never ever been any sweeping changes, frequent new feature implementations or focus on fixing some of the many bugs. Just infrequent patches with relatively minor changes and at most some early stage (that never actually gets refined into a more mature state) of a new feature if you are lucky, followed by long periods of radio silence. The only time we had something that felt like an actual push, was just before the 'beta' soft release, in what was probably a do or die moment for NQ. But before that (and after) the lack of steady progression made mine and some others spider senses tingle relatively early on, and made it so that we started asking some difficult question instead of just praising NQ and proclaiming over and over how great this game was going to be. And as time went on and the progression never came, the people asking hard questions went from a few to many. And today now in the year 2021, this game is still in many ways surprisingly similar to the very first pre-alpha test we played back in september 2017 with mining, industry, markets and 'pvp' being the only actual game loop changes. And the only thing that has truly seen massive changes since the start, is the roadmap and schedule..

6 hours ago, Eternal said:

How do VCs make money? From management fees and carries

Except that is not the model here. This is not VC in that sense. The funding NEQ received was part of a portfolio with several investments, generally investors in these models will expect 60-70% if these investments to fail but makeup for it through the success of the remaining ones. The patterns we se with NQ fits the process very well. There was a seed of around 1-2M and a round A of around 15-20M, What you describe would come into play if Round B activates which happens once a company  or their product gets of the ground and starts growing.

Round B would generally be in the 50-100M range and that round would come with ROI expectations as it is not activated unless a company or their product has proven to be viable and profitable. If that is not the case, the investment made is written off and as said planned to be recouped through te remaining investments in  the portfolio. I fully expect that NQ never made the mark for the consideration of a round B and so the investors left and took their loss on NQ. The obvious consequence is that NQ has no funding, the positive is they have no investor debt. This all fits what we have seen and I fully expect this is why NQ changed their plans and was forced to open up the game at "beta" which was never the plan.

I'd be interested to hear form you where NQ said they will release DU in whatever state it is in end of 2021, everything I read and heard was that JC was sure there would not be an issue delivering the game as intended and on schedule at that time and he saw no "red flags" to indicate to him they would not be able to do that. Please provide your source that shows they said otherwise.

I do fully expect they will  "release" the game in an incomplete state. Their profile is that they consider a feature implemented if the first iteration is in, however incomplete that may be. Their vagueness and lack of clarity on this will no doubt make the bobblehead fanbois argue that "hey, all promised features are in and the boxed ticked, so they are ready for release"..

A good example will be missions, NQ will release 0.24 with a very minimalistic version of that with basically just one part of the while done (hauling) and tick the "completed" box. They will not revisit it until after release as their spin will be that as this is a sub MMO, development is rolling and continuous which obviously is not entirely true as it  is not an excuse to deliver a half done product.

Adding missions now is totally useless, Player base plumethed and the key quanta holders almost all got it through exploits.

Anything added after the last patch and the schematics fail is useless as we have a disfunctional system with disfunctional rules, no organization bank or player markets, npc markets, no Pvp and we can go on.

What do we have? broken industry, laggy markets, burned players, some empty plots with large structures and  planetes full of spikes.

i can make up alot of missions but there is no central stage where they can be picked up or any reward i could offer that would be interesting for people. yeah, i can build your instalation for free, provided you deliver the mats. Yes i can do crafting for free, provided i have the schematics or you provide those and the ores. I can offer you quanta, but not much.   Anything worth doing missions for is high grade equipment or components or talent points, we cannot even use our dacs Nor did we get anything else we will get at release.

If we are to test this system we should get something like a daily give-away-possibility talent points or something to make it anything worthwile.

I am already designing more ships and bases then i have time to do so, making it a mission doesnt change anything unless the gains are things we cannot barter ourselves already.

On 2/7/2021 at 3:13 PM, blazemonger said:

I'd be interested to hear form you where NQ said they will release DU in whatever state it is in end of 2021...

Its actualy was mentioned in several gaming press sources in 2020. I feel lazy to find all, but here is quote from Forbes article about Beta: "Novaquark, announced its ambitious, sci-fi epic sandbox MMO will hit Beta on August 27th with a full launch planned for 2021."

Overall I think its very possible timeframe, no red flags! (quality and cut corners is another topic, obviously).

I know that NQ has said that they _plan_ to release (end of) 2021.. I'd like to know where they made a statement they _will_  release regardless of the state of the game as was claimed above. 

We can agree to disagree here but I do not see how they can see no issues with a release quality state of the game, with all the features, bugfixes and optimizations that would require.

Frankly, I expect they will spin it as "we delivered on all features, we are not yet done and will complete them over the next two years but they are in in principle". NQ wil tick the boxes and call it a release..

11 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

Frankly, I expect they will spin it as "we delivered on all features, we are not yet done and will complete them over the next two years but they are in in principle". 

Deja vu? : )

“We’ve been working on Dual Universe for over four years, and after completing the foundation for all main gameplay pillars, we’re presenting a solid idea of what this unique game offers to players, and a fully playable game for Beta.” said Novaquark CEO Jean-Christophe Baillie. 

07/08/2020, Gamasutra

That is the problem yeah.. NQ seems to be of the opinion that the game is feature complete and bases that on their opinion that this is measures by having all game pillars represented in game, regardless of in what state..

It's a ... well.. "interesting" way of looking at this as it does not in any way reflect a realistic view on the state of the game while allowing them to spin this in a way they convince themselves they are right on track.. 

That NQ thinks the game is "fully playable" in it's current state pretty much sums up the disconnect with reality.

15 minutes ago, le_souriceau said:

“We’ve been working on Dual Universe for over four years, and after completing the foundation for all main gameplay pillars, we’re presenting a solid idea of what this unique game offers to players, and a fully playable game for Beta.” said Novaquark CEO Jean-Christophe Baillie. 

He was right, at start of beta it was fully playable. Then they started to do alpha tasks in a beta environment and now they made it from a game for lovers of the segment into a game for exploiters of the segment.

market NPC fracked up the economics, changes in flight fracked up all blueprints and flight. Even the tutorials are not correct anymore as they are based on previous flight mechanisms so when you should fly 200 at 10% now you just crash into the tutorial because lift is lost.

For some players its just like playing SE with creative mode on while the rest is ploughing through solid mud. I would not be surpriced there is more behind these random errors and exploits that should never occur in a beta version, thats all alpha stuff.

1 hour ago, le_souriceau said:

07/08/2020, Gamasutra

Removing the marketing fluff and applying actual player experiences, that statement would be something like.

We have now worked on this game for over fours years to try and complete the core server and voxel technology, and we are still having severe performance and scaling issues. Issues that will put restrictions on many of the large-scale open world aspects we envisioned for this game. We are also struggling with an accumulation of long standing bugs and issues, that we do not have the manpower to address at this time. However we are now forced to start adding game pillar functionality despite these issues, so that we will have something playable at all. And while we are far from having a complete game loop and still unable to solve some of the core technical issues, we have decided this is going to be portrayed as a "fully playable game" in the beta stage, so that we can marginally justify charging a subscription fee for new players.

Brilliant, about 6 quotes of my post and every single one of the horsemen of the Apocalypse have managed to miss the point.

It is not about being blindly positive, I am no white knight, I have made as much negative comment about DU as I have positive, BUT when i am critical of NQ I do it in a positive way, I bring a potential solution to the problem, not exaggerate it.  The issue is the certain posters turning EVERY conversation into a negative, with some hilarious "in the know" writing style suggesting they that someone understand everything that is going on at NQ, when actually they are just speculating like the rest of us.

Take this thread, @blazemonger could have easily posted it as a question - "Why have you moved the xxxxx forum?" but NO instead he went for the extremely negative 'click bait' title - "NQ does not want your ideas".  As per usual, framing the situation in the most negative way possible.   Your post takes a very simple issue (a moved forum thread) and turns it into a massive attack on NQ in general, pretty much like any topic the majority of those you post, you just make stuff up based on your massively bias opinion, and then all you little cronies lap it up.  

A good example of this is the mission system, personally I hope that it could add a reasonable amount to the game, it will facilitate many more career paths and hopefully greatly improve player interaction (something that is vitally needed).  Yet you have already decided that it is not fit for purpose, will not be developed any further and will not help the game at all.  This is despite neither of us being in possession of the details.  It is just different ways of framing the same information, I frame it in a positive way, you frame everything in the negative.

You also seem to totally ignore the fact that over the last three months this forum has had MORE NQ involvement than I can remember, with NQ-Naunet alone posting on average of 3-5 times a day.

NQ arent perfect, they have made loads of mistakes, launching an Alpha as a paid sub Beta was always going to come back to bite them on the arse, but that does not means that they do not listen, do not care, or are not working hard to make the game a success.  They have just made a few mistakes.

5 minutes ago, Moosegun said:

A good example of this is the mission system, personally I hope that it could add a reasonable amount to the game, it will facilitate many more career paths and hopefully greatly improve player interaction (something that is vitally needed).  Yet you have already decided that it is not fit for purpose, will not be developed any further and will not help the game at all.  This is despite neither of us being in possession of the details. 

We know the mission system is supposed to have a lot of options, we also know NQ is only going to add the mission system now with one of these and they have not given any indication as to when it will actually get completed. Based on what we have seen so far from them, IMO it is safe to assume that they will tick the box, consider the mission system implemented and move on to not revisit the feature until after "release" which at this point is about 8 months away

This is their MO to work this way and also they simply will not have time to implement everything they say they will AND deliver a stable, polished and relatively bug free version of the game for "release". And you do not need details to arrive at this conclusion really, it's just a matter of logical thinking. IMO if you think NQ will be able to actually complete the feature set they have planned for "release", you have an unrealistic expectation.

The point here is that NQ is setting expectations with their user base which they know they can't meet, I am certainly not saying that I have a problem with NQ pushing out the actually feature complete version of the game well beyond release as that is a realistic expectation. Many here do not have a problem with NQ making mistakes, running up delays and even technical debt or anything like that, even when it could be avoided. The problem is that NQ does not take ownership of this, continues to present their progress as "nothing to worry about, we're right on track" while the signals and (visible) results are telling a very different story. That you choose to turn a blind eye to that and pretend it's all good because NQ says it is is fine, it's your prerogative to be that way.

Personally, I expect NQ has no choice as I think  their situation is such that if they do not "release" by the end of the year and start making real money they wil not be able to continue development. So their decisions are not decided by the actual state of the game but by the bottom of their wallet which is wel and true staring back at them every day. And that is not a good place to be for them. Could I be wrong? Certainly could, but I do not think so if I consider all the signals that are there. Keep an eye out for the more direct signs of cost cutting like NQ labeled staff being removed from social media help channels and "community helpers" becoming the POC for the player base.. Ending contracts for (outsourced) support is the first thing to go in these cases generally.

48 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

The point here is that NQ is setting expectations with their user base which they know they can't meet, I am certainly not saying that I have a problem with NQ pushing out the actually feature complete version of the game well beyond release as that is a realistic expectation. Many here do not have a problem with NQ making mistakes, running up delays and even technical debt or anything like that, even when it could be avoided. The problem is that NQ does not take ownership of this, continues to present their progress as "nothing to worry about, we're right on track" while the signals and (visible) results are telling a very different story.

Bingo.

Majority of critics here (even most "apocalyptic") not directly about current state of game -- everyone in sane mind understand indy difficulties and that DU is especialy hard case of ambition. Its about lack of communication and, what is even more important, transperant communication. Why its so impossible for NQ, per expample, to make some short text digest of what they worked on/done during week? What they planning or thinking about, testing, having difficulties with? Why all this secrecy, considering game not anymore in NDA?

Exactly this kinda stimulates worst in peoples expectations, because every MMO vet I think perfectly knows, that in most cases communication silence is worst possible sign for MMO -- its hiding of some shit.

Generaly we reached point, when every update feels like "nasty suprise" -- 0.24 likely be another milestone.

3 hours ago, le_souriceau said:

Bingo.

Majority of critics here (even most "apocalyptic") not directly about current state of game -- everyone in sane mind understand indy difficulties and that DU is especialy hard case of ambition. Its about lack of communication and, what is even more important, transperant communication. Why its so impossible for NQ, per expample, to make some short text digest of what they worked on/done during week? What they planning or thinking about, testing, having difficulties with? Why all this secrecy, considering game not anymore in NDA?

Exactly this kinda stimulates worst in peoples expectations, because every MMO vet I think perfectly knows, that in most cases communication silence is worst possible sign for MMO -- its hiding of some shit.

Generaly we reached point, when every update feels like "nasty suprise" -- 0.24 likely be another milestone.

Players and trolls (player's alt accounts) built a strong wall between them and the NQ staff. Thats why they are not writing, thats why no AMA, no nothing, no interview and i respect their decision.  They are there in the dark doing their stuff and i honestly believe they will deliver it until the end of the year.

i mean, you sow, so shall you reap.

26 minutes ago, Elitez said:

you sow, so shall you reap.

patch 0.23, and schematics exploid is the sowing.

Every corporation or government throws with thansparency in the start but after  the first comment transparency usually stops.

So now to dig into the love/hate thing some here think exists.

It does not.

What is alpha, what is beta and what is expected of the people who participate:

Both are testphases for the game and parts of it that are under development, player/tester is expected to write tickits for bugs, exploids, things that dont work. Also we are invited to give an opinion on the game and what we think can make it better.  No developer will get better with comments that only tell them oooh your so good, your perfect, game is perfect. nope it is the intention of alpha and beta to comment about not working stuff and how things are disfunctional.

Apparently this is accepted when it comes to PVP but not when it comes to not listening to ideas, not acting on rules, comments on exploids and not fixing, comments on found errors in databases,  comments on additions.  But then there is no reason for alpha or beta At all, its just a release but we dont feel ready to name it like that because its only finished for about 30%.

When people place comments in general, feedback what it actually is, there can be 3 reactions, thank you i will look into it, No your wrong its like .......but thanks for the feedback, uhmmignoreignoreignore

First two are perfectly acceptable by anyone who writes comments/feebdack a lot. And lets ignore what happens when something is ignored, you can read that all over the forum in other posts.

So what have we seen in the past about ideas? we had a nice system where ideas were looked into and rated, yes/no/notyet/maybe someday. But that system is gone i think, Something happend during development where someone decided that That system had to go and reactions to ideas should just stop. Next thing we had was pushed upgrades for incentives to push players in corners they did not want to be pushed into, but frankly the only thing that has been introduced that actually made an impact in the game was markets, longlong ago and industry, also longlong ago. After that nothing new was implemented, and no PVP is not implemented as what we have now can by far not be called PvP so lets say weapons and defense is implemented.  Then we had momentarely a list on the internet where you could vote for implementations but that list was missused within a week and scrapped probably. So then what are the introductions and what are the incentives and what adds more to the overal game appreciation.

Implementation:

Cores

Ore

Flight

Markets

Industry

Weapons & Defense

Incentive:

differentiation of cores        (if you dont do this someone can just fly their base to a new planet if they want too)

not all ores on all planets   (why would you fly to another planet if you dont have to)

Bots                                       (Else nobody would sell their ores on the market )

different engines (freight/regular)  (uhmmmm)

Daily quanta                          (help the market economy and get people to trade)

Talent points                         (people should specialize, we dont want 99% miners)

Industry Only on static cores (else people just fly away with their industry to another planet, planetary warfare is then void......well just packup your uindustry and ship it as BP)

schematics                            (Industry was so popular everyone was doing it. That was not intended only some should do it so lets make it uninteresting for the majority)

Best would be to just get rid of most of the incentives and make some more realistic, like ores should be on all planets But the composition of these ores should be different, traces of some abundance of others. Talent points, nice idea but does everything need to be a talent, i need a talent to puch a button to make glass. But another talent to make it efficiently.  and another to make the machine using less ores.

Feel free to add to the list

@Aaron Cainawesome post man, thanks for writing it.  I believe inflated quanta wont harm the game but will boost the start of many new and experienced players. Schematics fiasco added what? few billions into the game? Compared with 2nd wave of bot orders? Thats nothing, literally nothing. At least NQ now has a way to measure what dudes with fiasco schematics did with their accounts :)

Interesting way of looking to it, and refreshing :)

i still wished they added some form of research as alternative to quanta to get Schematics. sort of research station where you add, for example components and schematics to produce this or that roll out, combinations of schematics that produce a new schematic. there is real Fun in being able to do research. Thsi could also enable exotic schematics like even larger cores or faster ship engines, just make the research implementation fluid and there are so many possibilities, if anyone @NQ-Admin likes to discuss the research for talents option i am very open for it.

Fast Foward into the future. 1 year from now. You have a released game, ffa pvp, base raiding, everything in the road map. Will few billions from schematics matter? No. Will 1st, 2nd or maybe 3rd wave of inflated quanta matter? No. What will matter for the Joe who wants to play DU for various reasons ? A wipe empty game or somehow working environment ?

He wants content, he wants action and he wants to be part of something, whatever his needs are. Considering the learning curve of DU, the ffa pvp-full loot-base raiding and many other hardcore sandbox features the game will have not many will join for the long run and from the feedback you see people are leaving now when this is single handedly the easiest version of DU we will ever play.  Most new people will be lured by the clips/vids/vods they see on media and considering not many are playing, its hard to create healthy economical player patterns.

I mean look at the other side, how NQ can measure Rare/Exotic/Beacons spread considering the above written and how hard would have been for us to do it the book?!?!:)

I appreciate that your somewhat naïve outlook on the way NQ works may be because you are fairly new to the game. Those of us who have been here since pre-alpha are very much aware of this being a structural and chronic issue with NQ, not something new. The "fully open and transparent development process" which was promised during kickstarter came to an abrupt end when NQ opened up pre-alpha to backers in 2017.

1 year from now we will be playing a game which NQ will have ticked all the boxed for, the features are mostly incomplete though and it will take one or two years to actually get the game "feature complete" as far as the core feature set as promised in the kickstarter. It is unrealistic to expect NQ can deliver a feature complete version of the gam to release this year IMO. In the well defined and globally accepted definition of the term, what NQ claims are "release" will actually be the move to the true Beta stage of the game. I really wished NQ had the financial room to push out release by another year at least and actually complete the game.

My biggest fear is that NQ may yield to the cries of the PVP players and actually try and meet their misplaced and incorrectly set expectations. This will result in an overcrowded safe zone around markets and a wasteland everywhere else. If they miss the mark on territory warfare, many will move back to the safezone or leave the game all together. The pewpew brigade will then still be crying because they have "nothing to do" until a handful of former Landmark die hards are the last ones to leave and turn out the lights when NQ shuts down the servers.

If NQ  sticks to their guns and brings in Territory Warfare as they have so far explained it, "base raiding" will hardly be a thing. If NQ keep their word on this there will not be any base raiding unless you are able to capture or destroy the TU on the tile which in itself wil be huge undertaking, especially if the valuable bases are surrounded by several rings of claimed tiles which will need to be captured first. It wil take serious manpower and a lot of resources for potentially little gain. It will be something mostly used between larger orgs without much actual purpose. I expect the total player base for the game is currently less than your average player count in a big EVE battle and NQ will hopefully make TW so hard it will be unrealistic to attempt for a small group even.

1 hour ago, blazemonger said:

My biggest fear is that NQ may yield to the cries of the PVP players and actually try and meet their misplaced and incorrectly set expectations. This will result in an overcrowded safe zone around markets and a wasteland everywhere else. If they miss the mark on territory warfare, many will move back to the safezone or leave the game all together. The pewpew brigade will then still be crying because they have "nothing to do" until a handful of former Landmark die hards are the last ones to leave and turn out the lights when NQ shuts down the servers.

Wait what? Which misplaced and incorrectly set expectations?

This is from 2016 for the KS (timestamp): 

People gave money for it back then. And from one day to the next they got a slap in the face.

I think its WAY more complicated/dual thing.

Because pewpew crowd quite diverse (consisting not only from bloodthristy degenerates) and, most importantly, they... even if this sounds strange -- serious agents of "civilization" (via meaningful organizational gameplay, politics, drama ).

I don't exactly like local "civilization" talks (JC kinda spoiled term with his... fantasy talks), but generaly it mean global player interaction.

And lets be honest -- Landmark nerds and so called industrialists who is given pretty much carte blanche to prosper in current ultra safe enviroment, gone generaly solo (small introverted groups), bothering about others only to annoyingly show off their next fancy build or sell some overpriced crap and hoard even more stuff. In this regard I consider them a total failure in all this "civilization building" narrative. I see very little fruits of it. Sure they like to preach about how useful they are and  "civilization die" if they wiped (and noobs presumably absolutly dying to see things they built/hoarded), but this is pretty egoistic BS I personaly consider irrelevant.

So, sure, harsh PvP can produce... harsh world (may be even destoy it), but at least I see it as better chance (for game too), then another eternity of boredom show of all this lazy fat cats sitting on 1000 containers and sending nothing interesing into wider space.

2 hours ago, le_souriceau said:

I think its WAY more complicated/dual thing.

Because pewpew crowd quite diverse (consisting not only from bloodthristy degenerates) and, most importantly, they... even if this sounds strange -- serious agents of "civilization" (via meaningful organizational gameplay, politics, drama ).

Well, IMO there is "PVP focused players" and there is the "pewpew brigade".. ;)

Well, IMO there is "PVP focused players" and there is the "pewpew brigade".. ;)

This game is fucking boring without pvp. Pvp helps all parts of it. Even the civilization part. Because right now how it works in the safe zones there is no reason to build cities.  Why would I live on someone else's tile when I can safely live on my own?  

2 hours ago, JohnnyTazer said:

This game is fucking boring without pvp. Pvp helps all parts of it. Even the civilization part. Because right now how it works in the safe zones there is no reason to build cities.  Why would I live on someone else's tile when I can safely live on my own?  

A few reasons people choose to live on others tiles: To be part of a community. To have other players around you and to interact with while your playing. You want a well designed base, but don't want to spend time building it yourself.

PVP will hopefully add a lot of interesting aspects to the game. There are a lot of players who do not want pvp in their civilization building game though and see it as more of an annoying inconvenience than a beneficial addition to the game. The best thing for the game is a good balance and a range of pvp/limited-pvp options.