A credible source said DU might wipe, heres the reasoning as well as my thoughts

ELX987

26 minutes ago, Nayropux said:

The profits will not "dwindle away". They will compound. People were quite literally given licenses to print money. This extra quanta will only compound over time and make the disparity worse, not better.

Okay soo let’s say for some smarter individuals the exploited quanta is invested and profited from further, how are you negatively impacted by it this isn’t rust it’s a civ game if you didn’t know it happened you’d go on like before 

16 minutes ago, jdalto said:

Okay soo let’s say for some smarter individuals the exploited quanta is invested and profited from further, how are you negatively impacted by it this isn’t rust it’s a civ game if you didn’t know it happened you’d go on like before 

One of the main reasons I played this game was for PvP, with the intention of competing in the future over territory and limited resources. If the people who I am competing against have money printers (that go brrrr), I'm at a huge, essentially insurmountable, disadvantage. For other players who are industrialists, they now have to compete on the market against people who got their schematics for free, and now don't need to factor the cost of the schematic into the price of the items they are selling.

Not everyone plays this game like Minecraft in space, never leaving their little corner of the world.

14 hours ago, ELX987 said:

THIS IS A: R U M O R E D Piece of insider information, there is no hard proof of any NQ reps saying this will happen, im just puting this info out. (DONT SHOOT AT ME FOR REPORTING, but feel free to criticize my views :D)

Did your source want you to share this info publicly, when they shared it with you? 

Do you believe that this is info that the community needs to know, and that NQ has made the wrong decision in not making it public themselves?

Does your source plan on giving you more info in the future, like the specific date of the wipe, or details on what exactly will be wiped?  if so, do you plan on sharing that, or keeping the info to yourself?

It's ok, I don't actually believe you.  But i am interested in knowing whether you think it's ok for an NQ employee to share "insider info" like this?

Assuming you made the whole thing up, you're still basically accusing a (fictional) NQ employee, of doing something that could get them fired.

Just wonder what the goal is. 

2 hours ago, Nayropux said:

The profits will not "dwindle away". They will compound. People were quite literally given licenses to print money. This extra quanta will only compound over time and make the disparity worse, not better.

This.

1 hour ago, Nayropux said:

One of the main reasons I played this game was for PvP, with the intention of competing in the future over territory and limited resources. If the people who I am competing against have money printers (that go brrrr), I'm at a huge, essentially insurmountable, disadvantage. For other players who are industrialists, they now have to compete on the market against people who got their schematics for free, and now don't need to factor the cost of the schematic into the price of the items they are selling.

Not everyone plays this game like Minecraft in space, never leaving their little corner of the world.

Are you in one of the top orgs? Because unless you are no amount of wipes will put you in the same league to pvp and own territory when the pvp update rolls out

1 minute ago, jdalto said:

Are you in one of the top orgs? Because unless you are no amount of wipes will put you in the same league to pvp and own territory when the pvp update rolls out

I'm in (at least when I was playing) New Genesis, which is one of the main orgs in the AC, one of the largest alliance in the game. Or maybe second largest now, lots of people have been quitting and Boo is getting pretty blobby as well.

1 minute ago, Nayropux said:

I'm in (at least when I was playing) New Genesis, which is one of the main orgs in the AC, one of the largest alliance in the game. Or maybe second largest now, lots of people have been quitting and Boo is getting pretty blobby as well.

Then surely some people within your org would have also gotten on the big blowout sale 

12 minutes ago, jdalto said:

Then surely some people within your org would have also gotten on the big blowout sale 

I like to compete and win at games because I'm better at them, not because on January 21st 2021 some of my allies made 10s of billions in a 15 minute fuck up.

1 minute ago, Nayropux said:

I like to compete and win at games because I'm better at them, not because on January 21st 2021 some of my allies made 10s of billions in a 15 minute fuck up.

This will never be a competitive game of who’s best it’ll always be multiple collectives working together and fighting other collectives once pvp becomes more enticing initial conflicts will be accelerated by all these orgs that have pumped up wallets and it’ll be rapidly burnt through if someone comes out on top others will band together to bring them down a peg . I honestly can’t see it being that huge an advantage for long

1 hour ago, Atmosph3rik said:

Assuming you made the whole thing up, you're still basically accusing a (fictional) NQ employee, of doing something that could get them fired.

By my experience its not always that linear. I seen thing happening in MMOs couple of times:

1) Low-ranking employee/former emp has informal relations with player X. I doubt this is not exists in DU too (its almost always exists on MMO scene to some extent). Such relations can produce (even unintentional) leak on clues about future.

2) Player X tells player Y (his friend) some of this in secret and, to make things worse, being smart (or having good fantasy) uses clues to predict this or that. Wipe. Nerf. Things. Sometimes accuratly -- sometimes not.

3) Y tells his buddy Z (in secret too, obviously).

4) Player Z cant resist temptation and leaks it public/semi public, claiming its reliable source (but being securly far from it to bust it).

Chain from may be longer. Such leaking quite hard to track, for most part important people in chain prefer to be banned then talk, even if "captured and interrogated", so employee-leaker is quite safe. Sure she/he may face anger of bosses with others, but never be single outed reliably.

I even suspect (based on my investigations before) this how we had some leaks in past here too.

So to topic: its possible. Yet with NQs... dynamic process everything can change, so even if they discussed wipe, this not means they do it or not change how its rolled (magic BP etc), even last moment. So -- not reliable.

17 minutes ago, jdalto said:

This will never be a competitive game of who’s best it’ll always be multiple collectives working together and fighting other collectives once pvp becomes more enticing initial conflicts will be accelerated by all these orgs that have pumped up wallets and it’ll be rapidly burnt through if someone comes out on top others will band together to bring them down a peg . I honestly can’t see it being that huge an advantage for long

So to be clear, your argument is "I don't understand how this works, so there is no way it could be an advantage"? It would be much faster for both of us if you had just decided to not say anything.

7 minutes ago, Nayropux said:

So to be clear, your argument is "I don't understand how this works, so there is no way it could be an advantage"? It would be much faster for both of us if you had just decided to not say anything.

If you’re going to claim I don’t know what I’m talking about at least point out why. I didn’t say it wasn’t an advantage only that the advantage would only remain for a finite time

4 hours ago, jdalto said:

Damn when are people going to quit beating this dead horse. The wipe makes zero sense, the exploit is like winning the lottery  the profits will dwindle away eventually not the end of the world....

Tell that to Bezos. I’m sure in a few years he’ll be as poor as the rest of us. 

11 hours ago, Universum01 said:

That aside, " just carry over Blueprints and talent points" that MIGHT keep me, though not in the buggy and featureless state the game is at now, I would have to have some meat to actually stay.

Besides the fact NQ has _never_ excluded a wipe nor have they said "We will not wipe .. period", it should be obvious that if NQ does a wipe, with blueprints and Talent points retained, it would need to be at at time when the game is in a more stable and complete state. While personally I think the game really needs to have the option to wipe more frequently, it is a fair compromise to choose a single point during this time and prior to release to do a single wipe once the game is in a state it will benefit from a reset as it removes any pain from previous exploits, mistakes and loopholes NQ was not able to repair or choose to not repair at the time they occurred.

And as I mentioned in an earlier response, the moment NQ introduces Energy management is the opportune moment to do a wipe. I still feel the way they choose to introduce Energy is a cheap cop out option which really adds little to the game overall. It is the characteristic choice for NQ to make, just throw an arbitrary number into the mix instead of actually develop an immersive mechanic designed to promote and drive emergent gameplay such as I suggest HERE.

the wipe makes sense for people that are bored at the current state of the game,

the begin of a new game is like fresh air in the boys changing room.
It doesn't make sense for people that enjoy to build higher and higher and more and more.
I am for the wipe, may be even regularly (well, this would be another game, i know).

I think its the most stupid thing ever: a wipe. You mean to tell me that all the time we said: no kids/wife/friends, dad/buddy is playing a game right now is for nothing. My friends/kids/wife have waited for me for absolutely nothing?

Not even hours but days and even weeks spend here and all that time is wasted? You have paid money to waste your own time and after that pay to do the same thing again? You gain nothing of a wipe. Its not like SE or another game that you still have your ships and you can just load them in the new game.

Why are so many people asking for a wipe?

Are those people who have too much time on their hands?

Are those people who are spoiled and dont have jobs? (too tired to play after your job so when you do log in its precious time)

I dont get it, why would you ask to throw everything away you have build?

I think its because some are too greedy. With a wipe they can have an even better start and get even more precious ore than before because now they have a plan!

A wipe is for greedy & jealous people, thats for sure!! Everyone who asks for a wipe will be here on the first day after the wipe. None of them will wait a month or 2 and then join the game again, Im certain of that!

I dont care that my neighbours car is bigger than mine, I dont care that he just got it because of his purple skin colour. I have my own life that Ive got to build.

Greedy people, go build something instead of just wanting and hogging everything and do nothing with your 200 containers full of stuff. And if you want a wipe (start over) so bad, just get a new account and start the game fresh, or give away all your stuff and start out fresh. If anything has to be wiped, it is yourself. Dont force it upon others.

and breathe.....

LoL,

So we might get a wipe for some PVP system that might be better then the one we have but not for:

-The initial T4/5 ore grabbers

-Industry and schematics

-200 Billion scheme per affected player

-every other big error or game changing adjustment like energy

I would give a deskface but due to some of the DU issues my desk already experianced major deskface damage and its on its last PvD repairpoints

18 hours ago, Zeddrick said:

Perhaps they could turn the assets value into DAC or some other game time voucher so it wasn't all for nothing?  Handing loyal customers who put hours in more free hours at launch time isn't a terrible idea anyway ...

Getting your talent points back and having blueprints of your constructs will be quite the "compensation". Your experience so far wil allow you to rebuild pretty quickly. Also for NQ, doing a wipe may well be a good move commercially when you need to carry blueprint son you as many who left may resub to do that.

I honestly expect the number of players returning and/or those staying will far outweigh the few that will leave..

I'll just say this, I'm enjoying the game, learned a lot, I don't care if I have to start over. Heck, after my first month, I actually left everything on one world, to start over and see how it felt. Money aside, the biggest pain I see is Schematics. Personally I'd love to see T1 not have them, weapons  / T2+  can keep schematics.

1 hour ago, blazemonger said:

Getting your talent points back and having blueprints of your constructs will be quite the "compensation". Your experience so far wil allow you to rebuild pretty quickly. Also for NQ, doing a wipe may well be a good move commercially when you need to carry blueprint son you as many who left may resub to do that.

I honestly expect the number of players returning and/or those staying will far outweigh the few that will leave..

Mine for me so I can recover the blueprints and you got a deal ?

On 2/2/2021 at 2:47 PM, Daphne Jones said:

We skipped the mid-game because players always focus on the endgame and game devs always underestimate the players. If they wipe, it will happen exactly the same way again. The only way to avoid this is to add a new endgame after the players have reached the current endgame... then you get WOW's problem where everyone gets bored and quits between updates.

I support your claim that devs underestimate players and I don't understand why. Even an EVE outsider like me that never played more than one free week can see the battle reports and see how much ISK is removed from game on each battle. How much time would a player alone take to get that much ISK using NPC economy?

But I do believe a wipe is needed.

No game should ever be released without a wipe.... I don't even understand why NQ would suggest not to do it. (oh, never mind, they needed a heavy beta investment to keep the project running, so they baited new players saying it was a release....)
With all the bugs, exploits, abuses, rule changes it is impossible to not wipe before release and have any fairness whatsoever.

29 minutes ago, joaocordeiro said:

I support your claim that devs underestimate players and I don't understand why. Even an EVE outsider like me that never played more than one free week can see the battle reports and see how much ISK is removed from game on each battle. How much time would a player alone take to get that much ISK using NPC economy?

But I do believe a wipe is needed.

No game should ever be released without a wipe.... I don't even understand why NQ would suggest not to do it. (oh, never mind, they needed a heavy beta investment to keep the project running, so they baited new players saying it was a release....)
With all the bugs, exploits, abuses, rule changes it is impossible to not wipe before release and have any fairness whatsoever.

It's true that Devs usually underestimate players but here in DU that's only half of the issue. The other half is that NQ still need to find a way to fine tune his game. Atm they are only using money as a gate for progress, and ofc 300ppl are going to burn that content if it's tuned around 20ppl. That's why the majority of multiplayer games use size limits for their groups. I don't know how eve works tho, how do they achieve balance there?

hey, I just joined the game but even I can see that a wipe, and possibly some territory changes are needed. Since people start on Alioth, unowned plots should really repopulate resources. and when someone leaves a plot, it should go back to pristine condition. THINK ABOUT IT.....as a new player, would I join knowing I have nothing to mine at the beginning of the game??? NO! Of course not. If I put a plot down, then it should be NEW....now used. This also will help with resources. RESOURCES should really respawn! Just my two sense worth! 

4 hours ago, FrigoPorco said:

hey, I just joined the game but even I can see that a wipe, and possibly some territory changes are needed. Since people start on Alioth, unowned plots should really repopulate resources. and when someone leaves a plot, it should go back to pristine condition. THINK ABOUT IT.....as a new player, would I join knowing I have nothing to mine at the beginning of the game??? NO! Of course not. If I put a plot down, then it should be NEW....now used. This also will help with resources. RESOURCES should really respawn! Just my two sense worth! 

It’s funny seeing new players make these *exact same posts we did* years later and the points still completely unaddressed.

They just started playing but already realise it. It’s like Groundhog Day all over again.

Besides the unfortunate schematics and triangle cockpit glass, how has DU actually changed, really, over an entire year? An entire year.